Author Topic: Gander Mntn. Seminar, Portage MI  (Read 12953 times)

Offline Bronson

Gander Mntn. Seminar, Portage MI
« on: April 01, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »
MOC Open Carry Seminar at Gander Mountain-Portage
Where To Meet: Gander Mountain
Address: 5348 South Westnedge Avenue Portage, MI, 49024
From Date: Sat, 04/10/2010 @ 11:00am
To Date: Sat, 04/10/2010 @ 2:00pm
Map: MAP

MOC Seminar Flyer:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=10776
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:14:04 PM by Bronson »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Gander Mntn. Seminar, Portage MI
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Thank you for posting this!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline EM87

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »
Autosurgeon, I never talked to you about helping out at this event.  Do you need me to do anything?
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
There will be plenty of work to go around as I would like to have manned MOC info table outside the seminar room in addition to the seminar.

So yes I can use your assistance in whatever way you feel most comfortable!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline EM87

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
I'd like to be able to attend the seminar to see what's being taught.  I'd be willing to do whatever you need as long as I can do that.  I'm comfortable with whatever.
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »
I'd like to be able to attend the seminar to see what's being taught.  I'd be willing to do whatever you need as long as I can do that.  I'm comfortable with whatever.

You are more than welcome to help in the seminar room. I imagine if the other seminars are any indication this will be a packed event. BUT I need folks to talk about their OC experiences .. so you can do that as well as hand out info to latecomers and membership forms if they ask for them. basically whatever you are comfortable doing!

Offline EM87

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »

You are more than welcome to help in the seminar room. I imagine if the other seminars are any indication this will be a packed event. BUT I need folks to talk about their OC experiences .. so you can do that as well as hand out info to latecomers and membership forms if they ask for them. basically whatever you are comfortable doing!

I can do that.  :)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »
News 3 just contacted me and verified the event. They say they will be there.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
Just got off the phone with the store manager and everything is cleared and set for the Saturday seminar. I will be bringing a laptop and projector for the presentation.

Offline EM87

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »
Just got off the phone with the store manager and everything is cleared and set for the Saturday seminar. I will be bringing a laptop and projector for the presentation.

Great!  I'm reviewing the PPT today.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
The manager is also going to provide a table out in the store for us to distribute information as well!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »
Well it went very well we had between 47 and 50 people in attendance! Plus we handed out a ton of trifolds to folks that couldn't stay for the seminar.

Even had a Detroit area LEO happen by as he was over visiting his daughter at Western and he without any prompting and without knowing what we had talked about before he got there reinforced much of what we had been saying. Including DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE!

A huge thank you to Todd and all of the Gander Mountain staff for making us welcome!

Here are some pics from the event!

anetsprungen

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »
Thanks for the opportunity to participate.  I am sorry for leaving early, but I am not a people person.  Being in a room surrounded by so many people was a bit much and at the first opportunity, I had to scoot out of there.  But thanks for the pictures!

I enjoyed the seminar and left with some information I had not known previously.  It was certainly a worthwhile time.

Until I receive my own CPL, it may be awhile before I will have any experiences of my own to share.  Since I work for the federal government and generally only go back and forth to work, transporting my handgun is severely limited to those instances when I leave home and do not go to work, which are rare.  I hope that will change next month.

However, I am truly looking forward to the picnic at Vandercook Lake and plan to OC at that event.  Until then, a job well done!

Roy
 8)

Offline Bronson

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 03:00:28 AM »
I had a great time.  Thanks autosurgeon for letting me help out a little.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »
I had a great time.  Thanks autosurgeon for letting me help out a little.

Bronson

Thank you for being willing!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »
I made a mistake yesterday when teaching the OC seminar at Gander Mountain in Portage. I got the blackpowder pistol CC versus registration issue confused in my mind and stated that I was pretty sure they had to be registered. That kept nagging at me so I looked it up when I got home and found I was wrong... Oh well I cannot always be right no matter how hard I try..

And for the record non cartridge loaded Blackpowder pistols do NOT have to be registered but do require a CPL to CC!

stainless1911

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
somebody needs to design a reliable non cartrige black powder semi auto with a high cap mag. :D

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »
Looks like another success, congrats guys! I see one of your 'students' was taking some very clear notes!
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.