Author Topic: Open carry license and license to protect people.  (Read 10729 times)

Offline toolsofthetrade

Open carry license and license to protect people.
« on: January 13, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
I was at Harborlight CU today and spoke with the CFO/Asst. Manager L. Hughley today about their “no weapons” sign on the door. A little back story here, when MI shall issue law went into effect they did the same thing, and myself and enough other people spoke with the president Linda Wood and they took the sign down.

Her statements were that a CU member open carried a firearm and it made the staff nervous/upset.

She also stated that CCW is OK, but open carry is not welcome

She also stated that said member had an “open carry license” I informed her that there is no such license. She adamantly and haughtily disagreed and said the police told her he did and their attorney verified it. She also stated they had a copy of it, I asked to see it, I was right, she was wrong. All she showed me is the law in regards to open carry being legal unless otherwise stated, And the concealed carry law.

I asked about educating the staff to the benefits of people openly carrying firearms, that a lot of people that do carry have training equal to or in some cases more extensive than the police. She looked at me like I was crazy and stated that they have “Lots of other customers that can’t believe we even had to put up a sign!”
I asked about safety of their members, she stated that they didn’t want anyone to intervene they wanted the staff to handle a situation as they have been trained, I then put up the scenario of someone coming over the counter and stabbing the staff, and asked if she would want a private citizen to intervene then…..get this…..”NO we would not want them to intervene” but a police officer would be ok because they have a license to I stated that “so do I” and she informed me that no you don’t, not in this business.

Wow….all I have to say is wow.

Company website
www.harborlightcu.com
her contact: CFO/Asst. Manager    ext. 230    lhughey@harborlightcu.org

Offline toolsofthetrade

Re: Open carry license and license to protect people.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
CEO/Manager    ext. 231    lwood@harborlightcu.org

Offline toolsofthetrade

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
CEO/Manager    ext. 231    lwood@harborlightcu.org
Not that I think contacting them will change anything, but if you are a member you may want to voice your opinion.

Offline emt805

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Her statements were that a CU member open carried a firearm and it made the staff nervous/upset.

She also stated that CCW is OK, but open carry is not welcome

I asked about educating the staff to the benefits of people openly carrying firearms, that a lot of people that do carry have training equal to or in some cases more extensive than the police.

Wow….all I have to say is wow.

The only reason for the staff to be upset is that they are misinformed and not aware of the current laws in the state they live and work.  As far as cc being allowed vs oc what does the diff of a t-shirt make? If you are banking with them you would have an account on said account they would have all of your information on hand once again why would the staff be nervious/upset about that other than poor training on their end? I have to agree "WOW"

I would also like to see this license leo's have to intervene, as I am sure it would be something I/we are all paying for anyways.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »
 :) Me too Wow. Just give them until this summer, they will be more informed by then. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline sprinklerguy28

• Webb Tactical
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »
A member of the CU should explain to the manager that to carry CC or OC in the CU you must have a CPL. This way she knows everyone has the same license.