Author Topic: Gun shops near Novi/12 oaks mall area?  (Read 15879 times)

Offline Kcrebel

Gun shops near Novi/12 oaks mall area?
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
Hey Guys.  Recently moved to the Novi area from KC.  Looking for a good gun shop/range near Novi/Walled Lake area/12 oaks mall.  I am in the market for a couple of new blackhawk holsters as well as a range bag.  I would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions.  I have shot at the range at Double Action Archery and my only complaint there was that the place smelled like an old bar reaking of cigarette smoke.  I obviously don't smoke and the smell is very offensive.  My wife is an asthmatic with reactive airways.  Cig smoke is a huge trigger so I am sensitive to it.  Sorry to vent but what otherwise was a great experience was marred by cigarette smokers.  I am all for people having the right to smoke but at least do it outside so the ones of us that don't smoke can go freely without dealing with the mess and smell they leave behind.  We have rights too. 

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
Re: Gun shops near Novi/12 oaks mall area?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »
hey kcrebel..welcome. right up my alley. i live near there and am a HUGE smoke hater too. right across the street from 12 oaks (west side of novi road) is west oaks. there is a gander mountain and they are OC friendly. also a few hundred yards from there further west is a Dick's sporting goods (off 12 mile) also OC friendly but don't sell handguns anymore. glad to have another OCer in the area.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »
Do they smoke inside the range?  I know this is slightly off the intention of the topic, but I was under the impression that when the no smoking in restaurants ban went into effect, it included all public buildings?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
Do they smoke inside the range?  I know this is slightly off the intention of the topic, but I was under the impression that when the no smoking in restaurants ban went into effect, it included all public buildings?

I was at a bar the other night and everyone was smoking(I wasn't very happy about it). I guess if the owner doesn't care to follow the law, he won't.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »

I was at a bar the other night and everyone was smoking(I wasn't very happy about it). I guess if the owner doesn't care to follow the law, he won't.

how are they smoking in a bar in violation of the law? the law covers any place of employment even shared work vehicles counts as a workplace and no smoking as it leaves residue. smokers under the notion that if nobody else is around it doesn't count. i assume the original poster was referring to residule cigarette smoke still in the building.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »
Someone has to call and make a complaint I believe to the health department after which they are supposed to investigate.
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
The fine is less then the loss of business at some places (read bars).

Another useless law on the books.

My boss smokes in the office, I simply refuse to go in the office is how I deal with it. If he needs to talk to me it can be done in the parking lot or in the garage, because the mechanic doesn't smoke.

People need to remember the assholes at the brady bunch are anti gun, just like you are anti smoking. Why should your dislike be treated differently then their's (both can be deadly)?

I don't smoke, I hate the smell of cigs/pipes/cigars but I do not try to help laws get passed to infringe on others nasty habits, just like I try to convince them to leave my gun rights alone.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:08 PM »
The fine is less then the loss of business at some places (read bars).

Another useless law on the books.

My boss smokes in the office, I simply refuse to go in the office is how I deal with it. If he needs to talk to me it can be done in the parking lot or in the garage, because the mechanic doesn't smoke.

People need to remember the assholes at the brady bunch are anti gun, just like you are anti smoking. Why should your dislike be treated differently then their's (both can be deadly)?

I don't smoke, I hate the smell of cigs/pipes/cigars but I do not try to help laws get passed to infringe on others nasty habits, just like I try to convince them to leave my gun rights alone.

Theres my vote.

Offline Tao

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:49:05 AM »
I'm just a few minutes north. We should all grab lunch somewhere in the area.

Double action and target sports and generally regarded as worthless to go to.

I've been pretty impressed with Action Impact in southfield. Just hop on M5 south/east, then turn left on eight mile. Their prices on accessories, especially holsters and such, are actually competitive with online prices.

Offline DrScaryGuy

• Ironically named
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:39:02 AM »

I've been pretty impressed with Action Impact in southfield. Just hop on M5 south/east, then turn left on eight mile. Their prices on accessories, especially holsters and such, are actually competitive with online prices.

Hey now, Double Action has always been great to me.  They even changed endplates on an AR for me for free when I didn't have my own castle nut wrench.  Also, I've got an old friend that works there, so I get the occasional free range time/ big targets.  I'm with you about Target Sports though, I bought one gun from them and I pretty much needed to have my cash and CPL on the counter before they would take me seriously.

Action Impact is pretty decent, but they're getting strict about having to shoot ammo you buy from them and they're TERRIBLE at keeping the idiots off of the range.  If you can get there early in the morning before Thugnificent and APimpNamedSlickback show up, you'll have a good time.

There's another new small range in Livonia on by 96 and 275 name Firearm Exchange.  Last time I was there they didn't have a lot of merchandise, but they were a really nice bunch of guys, so it's worth checking out if you're in the area.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »

Hey now, Double Action has always been great to me.  They even changed endplates on an AR for me for free when I didn't have my own castle nut wrench.  Also, I've got an old friend that works there, so I get the occasional free range time/ big targets.  I'm with you about Target Sports though, I bought one gun from them and I pretty much needed to have my cash and CPL on the counter before they would take me seriously.

Action Impact is pretty decent, but they're getting strict about having to shoot ammo you buy from them and they're TERRIBLE at keeping the idiots off of the range.  If you can get there early in the morning before Thugnificent and APimpNamedSlickback show up, you'll have a good time.

There's another new small range in Livonia on by 96 and 275 name Firearm Exchange.  Last time I was there they didn't have a lot of merchandise, but they were a really nice bunch of guys, so it's worth checking out if you're in the area.

In my opinion Double Action is a worthless shop. A few years ago they had a sign on the door that said "you can not carry your gun in to the store" I got back into my car and left when I read that sign, I haven't been there since. I have read on different forums that they now have a "No Open Carry" sign, so there is still no reason for me to go. They also do not allow certain types of guns I have read (AK type guns) but they will allow a .308 hunting rifle, so it has ZERO to do with caliber and there backstop.

Why in the heck would I (or anybody) give any money to a shop that doesn't support what they sell? They are saying "I will sell you a gun, but you are too stupid to carry it in my shop". Not to mention that there prices were very high when I was there last.