Author Topic: Grand Rapids - My First OC - Walmart, MC Sports, and Marathon  (Read 6303 times)

Offline skunkworks

Normally I am a concealed only guy. I have had my Michigan CPL for several years and have had no bad experiences. However, I have been reading more about the growing trend in open carry and I've been thinking more about it. So I thought I would give it a shot (no pun intended) today.
After visiting http://www.michiganopencarry.org/ I printed off a copy of the LEO packet just to reassure myself, stuffed it in my pocket and off I went.
Since my first CC was to Walmart, I figured it was the perfect place for my first OC. I had read that Walmart had a policy in place that did not further restrict any MI firearms laws.
Well, it was a success. I got one look from a lady nearby while shopping, but she didn't say anything or freak out, or even move away....just noticed.
I didn't have any trouble at all and nobody said anything. I don't think most people even noticed.
After that, I stopped at MC Sports and had a good experience. I was looking at fishing equipment and noticed that this particular MC on 28th Street in Grand Rapids now had a gun counter with handguns. I don't think they had handguns until recently. While browsing the counter, a gentleman who was there purchasing a handgun noticed and said, "That's cool, I like to see that." I just smiled and said, "Thanks". The clerk obviously now noticed as did a few others in the time I was there, but nobody freaked out or even avoided me. :) All the staff I spoke to were very polite and professional as is always the case when I visit.
The only incident that was noteworthy was when I stopped at a Marathon station and was picking up a few things inside. Another patron insisted that I go ahead of him. At first I was a little nervous about this otherwise seemingly "code yellow" young man (btw everyone I don't know is code yellow unless proven otherwise), but I think he must have thought I was LEO. I didn't want to draw attention to myself and after a short back and forth I said thank you and went ahead.

All in all, a good day and a great first experience.  Though I'm left thinking about a quote from Uncle Ted, "I see no tactical advantage to open carry," I am left wondering if there may be non-tactical advantages from time to time.
For the record this was in Grand Rapids MI, and I was carrying my XD-40 4" in a Galco high ride OWB.

Offline xd-40

Re: Grand Rapids - My First OC - Walmart, MC Sports, and Marathon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »
Welcome, it's good to hear from new OC'ers in my area. I OC frequently/routinely in the Grand Rapids area and have had no issues to speak of.
Thanks for filling us in.
XD-40

Offline Agent1

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 04:02:36 PM »
......  Though I'm left thinking about a quote from Uncle Ted, "I see no tactical advantage to open carry,"

I am a dear fan of Deadly Teddly, but If in deed he uttered such remarkably ignorant words, why would anyone not demand a reply to the question of why the Military and Police "Tactical Units" do not conceal there weapons?

I know why........Because Open Carry IS A Tactical Advantage! ::)
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »
Ted is openly and adamantly anti open carry.  I believe it's because he's on the BoD for the NRA.  The NRA stands to make zero $$ from unlicensed carry.  As it stands the states that require a training class for carry permits need instructors for those classes.  Who trains these instructors?  Yup, the NRA.  Licensed carry is a money maker for the NRA, unlicensed carry brings them nothing in the way of $$.

As I see it there is little tactical advantage to concealed carry.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »
Exactly,Uncle Ted follows his wallet more than his heart,and his coveted NRA position.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Agent1

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
Ted is openly and adamantly anti open carry.  I believe it's because he's on the BoD for the NRA.  The NRA stands to make zero $$ from unlicensed carry.  As it stands the states that require a training class for carry permits need instructors for those classes.  Who trains these instructors?  Yup, the NRA.  Licensed carry is a money maker for the NRA, unlicensed carry brings them nothing in the way of $$.

As I see it there is little tactical advantage to concealed carry.

Bronson

I had the great privilege of being a Cert NRA instructor for 12 years. Pistol, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloading and basic home protection. I was also one of only 2 or 3 licensed weapon instructors in Michigan that could Cert for the Utah CPL through the Utah BCI. When 'shall issue' was passed, the instructor market became flooded with high priced CPL instructors. I gave it up along with Hunters Safety. The NRA isn't getting rich off of Material they sell to instructors or the low annual renewals of their Cert. When I renewed it was something like $15 per Cert. Most of these current instructors only have 1, Basic home protection. Maybe it is called something else now.
Don't get me wrong, I am not disagreeing with your argument at all, BC I just don't know what the NRA's agenda is this week. You can bet that the NRA would stand to make more money from added membership then anything else if they started supporting OC. Maybe they are just fighting the battles most easily won.........

"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:48:26 AM »
After that, I stopped at MC Sports and had a good experience. I was looking at fishing equipment and noticed that this particular MC on 28th Street in Grand Rapids now had a gun counter with handguns. I don't think they had handguns until recently.

Glad you had a good experience Skunk!  Interesting that you mention the MC Sports on 28th street.  They have been selling guns there for a long time.  They are pretty nice people and have a decent gun business - plus they have the reputation for some very good deals.   The counter is way in the back and I can see how you might not know it is there.  I bought my first handgun, a S&W Model 59, at that store in 1979.  I still have the gun sitting in the safe all loaded up and ready to go.

-Pondy  :)

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 02:45:21 AM »
I'm in the process of moving to NE Grand Rapids so I would love to hook up with some of you guys.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 07:37:07 PM »
skunkworks -
welcome to OC. first few times is kind of like a nude beach. first few times you're a little self conscious but after while you and everybody doesn't care what's hanging out.  btw i've never been to a nude beach but did go to impanima beach in rio (brazil) not nude but might as well have been.
usual advice - handle yourself like it's no big deal. don't draw attention to it. keep situational awareness while carrying. good you have legal documentation to show LEO. i tell everybody interested in OC to KNOW the law before they go out. at this point the police all know the law but keep aware if they try to bluff you then you can correct them. get prepared responses to any questions or comments you might receive.
OC IS a tactical advantage because OC is a visible deterant to whoever plans anything stupid to you or anybody else around you. the best gunfight is one you never have to be in. how can that be any more tactical?
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 12:52:38 AM »
skunkworks -
welcome to OC. first few times is kind of like a nude beach. first few times you're a little self conscious but after while you and everybody doesn't care what's hanging out.  btw i've never been to a nude beach but did go to impanima beach in rio (brazil) not nude but might as well have been.
usual advice - handle yourself like it's no big deal. don't draw attention to it. keep situational awareness while carrying. good you have legal documentation to show LEO. i tell everybody interested in OC to KNOW the law before they go out. at this point the police all know the law but keep aware if they try to bluff you then you can correct them. get prepared responses to any questions or comments you might receive.
OC IS a tactical advantage because OC is a visible deterant to whoever plans anything stupid to you or anybody else around you. the best gunfight is one you never have to be in. how can that be any more tactical?

Also CC draw if someone is expecting it is about 3 seconds assuming no complications with clothing. OC you can be drawn and on target in a second and your expecting it.