Author Topic: House Bill 4009 of 2011, not eactly OC related, but....  (Read 13671 times)

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
House Bill 4009 of 2011, not eactly OC related, but....
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
House Bill 4009 of 2011 introduced.  If passed as is, will eliminate Gun Free Zones for CPL holders.

While this isn't exactly OC related, it could have an impact.
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
Re: House Bill 4009 of 2011, not eactly OC related, but....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »
if i read it right the repeal is to end the PFZs for concealed carriers. those restrictions already exist. why would there be a need for a bill to enact an existing restriction? democrat rep from westland area introduced it.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:51 PM »
You didn't read it right.  It repeals the Pistol free zones, it doesn't enact it.  If HB4009 is enacted, the pistol free zones will be gone, as far as CPL holders would be concerned.  Then CPL holders could carry concealed (or openly) anywhere.  The only possible restriction I know of that might remain would be courthouses, since that is a directive from the State Supreme court. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:44:31 PM by Big Gay Al »
Big Gay Al

Offline emt805

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 01:33:48 AM »
You didn't read it right.  It repeals the Pistol free zones, it doesn't enact it.  If HB4009 is enacted, the pistol free zones will be gone, as far as CPL holders would be concerned.  Then CPL holders could carry concealed (or openly) anywhere.  The only possible restriction I know of that might remain would be courthouses, since that is a directive from the State Supreme court.

I see no mention to repeal gun free zones in federal buildings such as the post office

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »

I see no mention to repeal gun free zones in federal buildings such as the post office

That's a Federal law.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:10:25 AM »

Yeah, what TheQ said. ;)  As much as we may want it, state law can't dictate to the Fed.....well, not anymore anyway. :)
Big Gay Al

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »
I made that call for my Rep's support. Thanks for the info big al, it will be a great thing for OCing and CC. The right move. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
I made that call for my Rep's support. Thanks for the info big al, it will be a great thing for OCing and CC. The right move. Carry On.
I'd call my rep, but I don't know if it will do any good, Barb Byrum. :(
Big Gay Al

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:30:36 PM »
I'd call my rep, but I don't know if it will do any good, Barb Byrum. :(

Mine too, my friend.  I feel your pain.  Call the members of the Judiciary committee.  I posted all their contact information in another thread.  Call Thursday!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
To help everyone out, I created two mailing lists that go to the representatives.

mi_reps@miopencarry.org goes to the Republicans
mi_dems@miopencarry.org goes to the Democrats

I know I won't have time to call them all, so I'm calling my rep and writing an email to the rest.  All you need to do is send to these two addresses, and the list will forward them to each senator.

Carry on!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sprinklerguy28

• Webb Tactical
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
A petition to submit to the Michigan State Legislature in regards to House Bills 4009 and 4010 of 2011 has been started. This petition will be submitted to all members of the Michigan State Legislature and to the Governor.  I ask that you sign this petition and forward it to everyone you know. Let us send a clear message to those who represent us.

http://www.petitiononline.com/MIHB4009/petition.html

Offline PDinDetroit

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »
A petition to submit to the Michigan State Legislature in regards to House Bills 4009 and 4010 of 2011 has been started. This petition will be submitted to all members of the Michigan State Legislature and to the Governor.  I ask that you sign this petition and forward it to everyone you know. Let us send a clear message to those who represent us.

http://www.petitiononline.com/MIHB4009/petition.html

Signed.

Posted to USA Carry as well.