Author Topic: MOC Members Harassed by LPD and Library Security & more  (Read 13527 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
MOC Members Harassed by LPD and Library Security & more
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »
Venator and I were in CADL's downtown branch today to attend the meeting on their weapon's policy and MCL 123.1102.  We weren't packing, OC or otherwise.

The Security guard (older and more vocal one in the video) approached Venator and I as we sat at a table on the first floor to use our computers before the meeting began.  He asked if we were carrying any weapons today.  Venator and I refused to answer.  The security guard told us we will be unable to go upstairs and attend the meeting until we answered.

Venator: we're going upstairs anyhow.
Guard: no you aren't.
Venator: you'll have to call the cops to stop us
Guard: okay.

What transpires in the video is what happened after the cops arrived.  I missed the first minute of the encounter.

Sorry the video is rotated 90 degrees, I was trying to get everyone in the frame.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:22:46 PM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: MOC Members Harassed by LPD and Library Security & more
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
Did the end of the scanner segment say that a security guard from city hall was not authorized to be at an event, and was it the same security guard that was harassing the MOC members?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »
Did the end of the scanner segment say that a security guard from city hall was not authorized to be at an event, and was it the same security guard that was harassing the MOC members?

I'm not sure.  The guard at the Library has been there before and he is from DK Security.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:04:50 AM »
i would be offended by being described as 'heavyset'. i'm 5'10" 170lbs. wonder what i would be called. thanks for showing and pleading our case. good job and LOVE the documentation. it was like i was there.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline emt805

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 03:38:15 AM »
I vented my annoyance of this on MGO in more detail but there is no reason for those leo's to have stood by and waited for the meeting to be over, let alone since they did not have any firearms on them at the time. It is listed as a public library on http://www.publiclibraries.com/michigan.htm and listed as "your library" on http://www.cadl.org/about meaning to me it would be public. The security guard has an un needed attitude and no reason to select these two out of all the others on the property. Even though theQ was kicked out at an earlier date for legally carrying in a place trying to make it illegal to do so in a place which they cannot do such.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:37:56 AM »
Venator and I were in CADL's downtown branch today to attend the meeting on their weapon's police and MCL 123.1102.  We weren't packing, OC or otherwise.

The Security guard (older and more vocal one in the video) approached Venator and I as we sat at a table on the first floor to use our computers before the meeting began.  He asked if we were carrying any weapons today.  Venator and I refused to answer.  The security guard told us we will be unable to go upstairs and attend the meeting until we answered.

What transpires in the video is what happened after the cops arrived.  I missed the first minute of the encounter.

I'm curious, did the guard approach everyone and ask if they're armed, or just you two?
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline Tao

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:43:05 AM »
I not familiar with the particulars of CADL, but how does preemption not apply here?

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:03:18 AM »
I not familiar with the particulars of CADL, but how does preemption not apply here?
It doesn't NOT apply.  Or maybe I should say that preemption DOES apply.  The board just thinks it doesn't.  I'm afraid they're going to find out the hard way, it does.
Big Gay Al

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:48 AM »
It doesn't NOT apply.  Or maybe I should say that preemption DOES apply.  The board just thinks it doesn't.  I'm afraid they're going to find out the hard way, it does.

Yep,  Sometimes a Dog will listen to ya if you if you yell "Stop Chewing my shoe", But sometimes ya just have to roll up the newspaper and smack Dat Azz  before they comply.   8)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
Venator and I were in CADL's downtown branch today to attend the meeting on their weapon's police and MCL 123.1102.  We weren't packing, OC or otherwise.

I'm curious, did the guard approach everyone and ask if they're armed, or just you two?

Just us.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »
I used to work for DK, a few years ago, and while they have some people who know what they're doing, when it comes to security work, they also have more than their fair share of people who I wouldn't let guard an outhouse in the middle of a cornfield.

Big Gay Al

Offline emt805

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »
sometimes ya just have to roll up the newspaper and smack Dat Azz 

That has to be one of the better ways I have heard it put. Once again it seems like LPD did not get the memo from the MSP or the legal update 86 when they are so close next door. What next do we hand deliver it to them and spell it out word for word?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
There's a thread on MGO about this topic everyone should check out. It's under "General Firearm Discussion".

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »

Two arguments.  One is they claim to lease property owned by a school and therefore it's a gun free zone. 

2nd, they are an authority and are claiming they are not a unit of government, even though they can tax (millage), receive $11,000,000 a year in taxes and penal fines, and their board is appointed by the local governments in the authority.

It's a weak argument.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 03:48:18 PM »

Two arguments.  One is they claim to lease property owned by a school and therefore it's a gun free zone. 

2nd, they are an authority and are claiming they are not a unit of government, even though they can tax (millage), receive $11,000,000 a year in taxes and penal fines, and their board is appointed by the local governments in the authority.

It's a weak argument.

"weak argument" more like no argument to even acknowledge it as an argument is to give it more credit then what it is.