Author Topic: Car + OC Problem  (Read 7674 times)

Offline kubel

Car + OC Problem
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
I drive perhaps the worst vehicle that someone who OC's could possibly drive. It's not a Trabant, Corsair, Edsel, or a Pinto... I drive a newer black Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. The car was cheap, it's reliable, and it's incredibly fun to drive. But the two (OC + CVPI) just don't go together well, and I haven't been open carrying as much because of it. I don't want people to think I'm a whacker (someone who gets his jollies from pretending to be a cop), and I don't want LEOs to think I'm impersonating. The average citizen might question if someone is a cop if they see a guy getting out of a CVPI. They might question if someone is a cop if they open carry a pistol. But doing both makes me feel extremely uncomfortable because I know what others are thinking- and that's not my intent!

I'm planning on getting a new electric Focus when they come out toward the end of the year (going from gas guzzler to gas free will be a shocker)- so that will resolve the whacker issue. But until then, short of getting rid of the car or painting it pink, what's my best bet? Right now I'm CCing because I don't feel comfortable OCing when I'm around the car. I was thinking of getting a funny vanity plate like "OHNO5OH", or putting those chrome "beauty rings" on my black steel wheels to subtly hint that it's not a cop car. I don't dress anything like a cop so there's nothing I can do about my appearance. Any suggestions?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Car + OC Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »
Paint the front bumper orange. Works for airsofts.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: Car + OC Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »
Being comfortable when you carry is very important. If you walk around OCing, feeling nervous, you will look nervous. If you look nervous while OC'ing, people will notice and probably get scared. Scared people call the police. So if you don't feel comfortable OC'ing with the car you drive and you are ok with CCing, then by all means CC.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:42:42 AM »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »
Q = Hillarious with the orange bumper!!   ;D   

Hey, I would CC... Personally, I would try to stay away from any type of resemblance of "cop wanna be."  (I'm not saying you are doing that).   If you listen to all the arguments out there, especially with this new bill...people automatically think that folks with guns want to play cop anyway.   

I would say...  Crown Vic, Painted Black, OC'n, you just might look the part.    I do believe that our local Detroit mob/gang squad sports the black unmarked Crown Vic.   So, if you are driving in the big D.... well.   

Another reason...we do have those occasional instances where folks are intentionally impersonating cops (with Crown Vics, etc..) to engage in criminal behaviors...pulling people over, etc...   We are a society that "profiles"..... whether we say we do or not.   

My two cents....

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »
Sell the car get comfortable. I live in southwest Detroit, driving around like that these days you will be confronted. Carry On.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:18:06 PM by ocdetroit »
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
hmmmm I don't worry about other people other than to keep an eye on them and make sure they are NOT trying to kill me...

As for the car I would have no reservations about it... if A you are not trying to detain people and B you are not using it to get LEO discounts..

That is my 2 cents!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
Kubel....  I would read Autosurgeon's complete post/subject:  "Open Carry Project".  Below are the opening paragraphs.

The first thing to discuss is image. Image goes far beyond simple appearance. Though it is perfectly legal for anyone to openly carry a firearm no matter what race, style of dress, etc., unfortunately it must be said that in the world we live in, image is everything; it’s the first thing we see, and we base our first and lasting impressions on how people carry themselves, how they dress, and what they say.

AttitudeImage is not just what you wear, but also how you carry yourself and how you present yourself to others. Though the vast majority of people will probably not notice you openly carrying your firearm unless you’re wearing a drop leg holster, those that do notice will likely watch you carefully, whether they are either pedestrians or law enforcement. It is therefore absolutely crucial that you present yourself in a positive way, even during a negative encounter. If you choose to open carry a firearm, people in our state will watch you from time to time, and will be critical of your actions. You are a beacon for all of us that open carry; please represent your fellow man well.

Dress and general appearance
Dress is another factor that may play a role in your encounters with both the public and law enforcement that can both sway people’s opinion of you. The last thing you want is someone to be afraid of you. Though most will not agree that stereotyping is ‘right’, all can agree that it happens. There is no way to avoid this. Everyone has pre-conceived notions about certain people whether they are true or not. Unfortunately this is simply the way the world works, and there’s nothing that can be done to change it. This section is not meant to tell you to dress a certain way, however because stereotyping exists and is a very real thing in this world, before you begin to open carry, ask what kind of image you want to present to others. Again, you do not want people to fear you, and even if their pre-conceived notion of you is completely wrong, some people will have a difficult time getting past your physical appearance. It has been said that you will attract more bees with honey than with vinegar; and your interactions with both the public and law enforcement can very greatly depending on what you are wearing and your overall general appearance.

However, you do have a great car.  I wouldn't look to get rid of it yet.  There are hubcaps for that vehicle that are used for the "city vehicles" & general purpose interceptors.  Put those on there.  Enjoy a big car that will safely do 135 mph!!    Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what image you are portraying....and from your opening question, you seem to have legitimate concerns.   

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
Yep put some pimp hubcaps on it and no one will think you are a leo!

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Bronson

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:17:06 PM »
Maybe you could convince the board of MOC to put a full AdWrap on your car  ;D

http://www.ad-wraps.com/

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline kubel

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 11:19:55 PM »
Paint the front bumper orange. Works for airsofts.

Love it!

Maybe you could convince the board of MOC to put a full AdWrap on your car  ;D

http://www.ad-wraps.com/

Bronson

I would so do it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:21:29 PM by kubel »

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 01:03:41 AM »
 :)Maybe if u do that, then maybe the members of OC will chip in an buy it so we all whochipped in can take turns driving it. Carry On. ::)
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline FatMan

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:32 AM »
Just conceal. I've owned 3 different official vehicles. An old Detroit fire dept grand fury it was that obnoxious yellowish color. Only had it one summer. Got it for next to nothing fixed it up a little and made some money. I also owned a 93 Chevy Caprice that was a st clair shores police car. I now drivehave replaced a mini van but I still own a former msp chevy tahoe. And I have drove that since I started open carrying in Oct of 2009. Im not one to care what people think. I wasn't very nervous when I started open carrying. I've carried concealed for a decade and worked armed for almost 7 years prior to getting my cpl. I totally agree with the folks about the attitude you project, nervous is not good. Be comfortable be prepared and be aware.
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.