Author Topic: Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill  (Read 24073 times)

Offline DanC

Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
Toby Keith's new bar and grill at Great Lakes Crossing, has a "no firearms or weapons allowed" sign at the front hostess desk. I was standing right in front of it with my Glock when I seen it. I wanted to leave, but my wife wanted to stay and eat. So I untucked my shirt and we stayed. I don't even think anyone noticed my gun before I covered it. I told my wife we won't be back.

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »
Not to beat up on you, but you did post it in the public part of the forum, I have to say, I think you were wrong.  The place was posted and like it or not, they have as much right to ask that you not bring in your firearm, as you do to have your firearm in your home or on public property.  I'm glad you posted it here as a heads up to the rest of us, but I feel you were in the wrong for concealing and proceeding instead of leaving or putting the pistol in your car.  It's a personal decision but we're trying to enhance the view of the public of gun owners and violating private property rights, I believe, isn't the way to do it.

FWIW.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »
I agree  8)
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

stainless1911

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »
Im glad you stayed. We need to someday, make all areas both public, and private, safe.
Private property is not more valuable than life, or the lives lost for freedom. One reason we have 45 million dead babies is the mentality that choice is more important than life.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 02:43:54 AM »
Isn't Toby Keith supposed to be all "guns, God, and guts?"  I guess he's another celebrity poser like Nugent  :(

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
Im glad you stayed. We need to someday, make all areas both public, and private, safe.
Private property is not more valuable than life, or the lives lost for freedom. One reason we have 45 million dead babies is the mentality that choice is more important than life.

That's why you have the option to not stay, to leave and go to another private place that does allow you to carry.  Private property rights most definitely trump your right.  And while I agree with you on the abortion front, what the heck does that have to do with this topic?

Offline DanC

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:03:59 AM »
Didn't Judge Andrew Napalitano say on fox news, that a business open to the public can't make you leave your rights at the door?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 08:13:41 AM »
Didn't Judge Andrew Napalitano say on fox news, that a business open to the public can't make you leave your rights at the door?

While he may be right what authority does he have in MI?
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Savage.Detroit

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
I think Judge Napolitano may have a point. If a place is open to the public you should give everyone that is not acting illegally a fair shake.  I mean what would the media say if a restaurant banned anyone from coming in with a gay pride t-shirt or a placing a koran on the table as they eat.
Adapted from Hillary: I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're in a hate group or a domestic terrorist. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration."

Offline DanC

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
If someone can put up a sign to violate my Second Amendment rights, then does that mean they can put up a sign to violate my First Amendment rights? What if the sign said " No Catholics Allowed"? Would this be accepted? Should I just leave if I see this kind of sign?

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
im assuming this is a chain?

might want to check for a corporate policy,the place could very possibly be in violation of they're corporate policy,and therefore would have to remove the sign.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
If someone can put up a sign to violate my Second Amendment rights, then does that mean they can put up a sign to violate my First Amendment rights? What if the sign said " No Catholics Allowed"? Would this be accepted? Should I just leave if I see this kind of sign?

Firearm owner isn't a protected class, such as age, sex, race or religion.  Like it or not, legally, it isn't the same.

stainless1911

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »
I looked for the sign, (without going in, no CPL). Diddnt see it, where is it?

stainless1911

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
Firearm owner isn't a protected class, such as age, sex, race or religion.  Like it or not, legally, it isn't the same.
[/quote]

Isnt the constitution supposed to do that?

Offline DanC

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:52 AM »
I looked for the sign, (without going in, no CPL). Diddnt see it, where is it?

You have to walk in. The sign is on the front of the hostess desk. BTW, I sent an E-Mail to them on Saturday, but no reply yet.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 05:53:26 AM »
Firearm owner isn't a protected class, such as age, sex, race or religion.  Like it or not, legally, it isn't the same.

[/quote]

Constitution guarantees private property rights as well.  Would you like your private property rights trumped/trampled by somebody elses freedom of religion/speech?  Fred Phelps and his crew show up and want to  use your lawn as a gather point to protest the latest military death, you think the Constitution guarantees them the right to do that no matter what you say?

Offline T Vance

• Jackson, MI
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:03 AM »
I just heard of this place. Was the food good?

stainless1911

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:21:31 AM »
Geez, how do ya supposed ta know f'n ya kin go in dar r not till ya go in dar?

Offline KelticKowboy

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »
Firearm owner isn't a protected class, such as age, sex, race or religion.  Like it or not, legally, it isn't the same.

Constitution guarantees private property rights as well.  Would you like your private property rights trumped/trampled by somebody elses freedom of religion/speech?  Fred Phelps and his crew show up and want to  use your lawn as a gather point to protest the latest military death, you think the Constitution guarantees them the right to do that no matter what you say?
[/quote]

Whether we like it or not the laws are what they are and we have to obey them, although I do like the Judge Andrew Napalitano comment.  As for the Fred Phelps example there could be a difference between him showing up on private property for personal use and private property for public use.

KK

Offline DanC

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

I agree 100% about private property rights. I can put a sign on the front door of my house that says
 "No muslims allowed". But I can't open a business that is open to the public and put that same sign up.
I think our founding father wanted the First Amendment and the Second Amendment defended the same.
It sounds like some people think the First Amendment is written in stone, and the Second is written on paper.