Author Topic: Holster suggestions  (Read 21670 times)

Offline METL

Holster suggestions
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »

I have a H&K USP .40 compact and am looking for hip holster suggestions for OC.  I'm a real noob on this stuff, so I'm not even sure what kinds there are.   I would guess I would want something that secures it if I fall down or something...     

Also, can anyone outline the rule of "transport" when you are in a pick up truck?   I have a cab and a half truck and I'm not putting my gun in the back.. is under the back seat acceptable?   Does it literally have to be trigger or case locked?

Thanks.

Offline emt805

Re: Holster suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
I have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa fot my XD-40 that I use for both open carry and concealed carry. I have never had any issues with it and love it. There are others that will sware they will never own one.  It is best to find something you are comfortable with and become familair with it before you depend on it. Know your equipment and practice with it is the best advice.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »
I have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa fot my XD-40 that I use for both open carry and concealed carry. I have never had any issues with it and love it. There are others that will sware they will never own one.  It is best to find something you are comfortable with and become familair with it before you depend on it. Know your equipment and practice with it is the best advice.

Have to agree. After some work, 3000+ rounds. I am very happy and satisfied with this setup. For both OC and CC
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Holster suggestions
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »
I too like my BLACKHAWK SERPA CQC for my Springfield XDm.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
So do you guys use belt holsters, or paddle type?   

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
Belt definately

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
So do you guys use belt holsters, or paddle type?   

"Paddle" and "retention" do not go together when it comes to holsters.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »
I will be the first to say stay away from the Serpa.
Some instructors will not allow its use in their training classes, it has jammed not allowing the gun to be removed, it has been blamed for ND's.

If you can not afford an expensive holster look at the safariland 6377, it is the same price point as the Serpa.

I prefer leather like a Galco Fletch.

I put my Serpas in the bottom of the box about a year ago and won't be using them anymore.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
Regarding SERPA lock ups. Push the button BEFORE you pull.

Regarding NDs. Push the button with your finger flat/straight as opposed to curled.

It's not that hard! Train!

Regarding paddle versus belt, I have kept the paddle on my BLACKHAWK. I find it offers more stability. I'd like to know why some feel a paddle holster and retention don't go well together? The paddle has a nub on the bottom that prevents the paddle from coming out. The holster also has tabs that dig into your belt. If someone tries to grab the gun, the holster and you are coming with it. There's no way that holster is casually slipping off.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:10:03 AM by TheQ »

Offline METL

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »
Well I think I'll make a trip to total firearms to maybe see what they have there.... and see if I can take my gun in there for fit testing...

what is a ND?

Found this video...     looks pretty slick till the guy gets shot up at the end...  ;)

Offline METL

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »
Watching some videos and doing a bit of research on the 2...  I find that the fears of the serpa seem somewhat unwarranted with regards to the ND...     I think if you keep your finger straight, there is no problem... and that is the way I think it would be natural to do anyhow...  I will demo it at the gun shop (I hope)

Both systems seem pretty decent, although I am concerned about the front site snagging on the ALS system...   

Of the 2, I"m going to have to lean towards the ALS because I really like the fact that the release is more protected... I could see your weapon becoming disengaged by bumping it... or say if you were on the ground...   it just seems to make more sense for the release to be protected in some manner.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
Well I think I'll make a trip to total firearms to maybe see what they have there.... and see if I can take my gun in there for fit testing...

what is a ND?

Found this video...     looks pretty slick till the guy gets shot up at the end...  ;)

An ND is a negligent discharge. If you want to try a SERPA I'll let you strap on my unloaded XDm and take a few draws with it. I live in Lansing.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
Watching some videos and doing a bit of research on the 2...  I find that the fears of the serpa seem somewhat unwarranted with regards to the ND...     I think if you keep your finger straight, there is no problem... and that is the way I think it would be natural to do anyhow...  I will demo it at the gun shop (I hope)

Both systems seem pretty decent, although I am concerned about the front site snagging on the ALS system...   

Of the 2, I"m going to have to lean towards the ALS because I really like the fact that the release is more protected... I could see your weapon becoming disengaged by bumping it... or say if you were on the ground...   it just seems to make more sense for the release to be protected in some manner.

On the South West side of town, near Dimondale, there is a place called the "Michigan Police Equipment Supply Co.". They have a good stock of Safari Land gear/holsters. If that's the brand you want, look/call there.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
I don't have an issue with paddles just prefer belt seems to work much better for me. Its all about training with drawing and discharges.

Offline METL

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
Is that place on Lansing Road TheQ?  Where abouts in lansing do you live?   x-roads....

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Is that place on Lansing Road TheQ?  Where abouts in lansing do you live?   x-roads....

It is on Lansing Road.

See your PM for the next question.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:12:39 PM by TheQ »

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »

what is a ND?

An ND is a negligent discharge. If you want to try a SERPA I'll let you strap on my unloaded XDm and take a few draws with it. I live in Lansing.

Allow him to do so in a stressful situation. Which is where ND's usually occur.

As to your earlier "It's not that hard! Train!" comment. Can you explain why some trainers will not allow a Serpa to be used in their class if it is so safe? Could it be because more then once during stress related training there have been ND's?
I understand people don't like to admit the stuff they own isn't the best, but I am just trying to let a new person know they had better make damn sure they now they are buying something that has potential to let them down.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »
Can you explain why some trainers will not allow a Serpa to be used in their class if it is so safe? Could it be because more then once during stress related training there have been ND's?

If I have a car that doesn't have anti-lock brakes, and I KNOW it doesn't have anti-lock brakes, but I slam my foot on the brake pedal and lock 'em up, is it the design of the car that's at fault or me?

If the trainers want to ban Serpas from their classes that is their right but if they used the same evaluation criteria they would also ban Glocks.  The design of the Glock uses a short, light trigger pull with no mechanical safety to stop an accidental or too-soon trigger pull.  Therefore the design makes it more prone to allowing an accident.  That's the same argument they use against the Serpa but when it comes to a Glock they say "it's all about good training".  Why the hypocrisy?  Probably because if they banned Glocks none of the Tacti-Cool crowd would take their classes and they'd lose out on a bunch of $$.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
Not sure about the losing money idea. When the Serpas started getting popular it seems like many people tried them (I own 3 of them) yet as time went on some people learned that they were not all that great. Not everybody did (as shown by this thread) so that means that trainers are losing money when they say no XX in their class.

I know I am not going to change the mind of the people that already bought them, I am just making sure the people that haven't bought one know the flaws so they can make an informed decision.

Now that you know what you know about anti lock brakes, would you advise your daughter/nephew or any new driver to buy a car with non anti lock brakes when they can get anti lock for the same price?