Author Topic: Holster suggestions  (Read 21880 times)

Offline METL

Holster suggestions
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »

I have a H&K USP .40 compact and am looking for hip holster suggestions for OC.  I'm a real noob on this stuff, so I'm not even sure what kinds there are.   I would guess I would want something that secures it if I fall down or something...     

Also, can anyone outline the rule of "transport" when you are in a pick up truck?   I have a cab and a half truck and I'm not putting my gun in the back.. is under the back seat acceptable?   Does it literally have to be trigger or case locked?

Thanks.

Offline emt805

Re: Holster suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
I have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa fot my XD-40 that I use for both open carry and concealed carry. I have never had any issues with it and love it. There are others that will sware they will never own one.  It is best to find something you are comfortable with and become familair with it before you depend on it. Know your equipment and practice with it is the best advice.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »
I have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa fot my XD-40 that I use for both open carry and concealed carry. I have never had any issues with it and love it. There are others that will sware they will never own one.  It is best to find something you are comfortable with and become familair with it before you depend on it. Know your equipment and practice with it is the best advice.

Have to agree. After some work, 3000+ rounds. I am very happy and satisfied with this setup. For both OC and CC
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Holster suggestions
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »
I too like my BLACKHAWK SERPA CQC for my Springfield XDm.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
So do you guys use belt holsters, or paddle type?   

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
Belt definately

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
So do you guys use belt holsters, or paddle type?   

"Paddle" and "retention" do not go together when it comes to holsters.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »
I will be the first to say stay away from the Serpa.
Some instructors will not allow its use in their training classes, it has jammed not allowing the gun to be removed, it has been blamed for ND's.

If you can not afford an expensive holster look at the safariland 6377, it is the same price point as the Serpa.

I prefer leather like a Galco Fletch.

I put my Serpas in the bottom of the box about a year ago and won't be using them anymore.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
Regarding SERPA lock ups. Push the button BEFORE you pull.

Regarding NDs. Push the button with your finger flat/straight as opposed to curled.

It's not that hard! Train!

Regarding paddle versus belt, I have kept the paddle on my BLACKHAWK. I find it offers more stability. I'd like to know why some feel a paddle holster and retention don't go well together? The paddle has a nub on the bottom that prevents the paddle from coming out. The holster also has tabs that dig into your belt. If someone tries to grab the gun, the holster and you are coming with it. There's no way that holster is casually slipping off.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:10:03 AM by TheQ »

Offline METL

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »
Well I think I'll make a trip to total firearms to maybe see what they have there.... and see if I can take my gun in there for fit testing...

what is a ND?

Found this video...     looks pretty slick till the guy gets shot up at the end...  ;)

Offline METL

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »
Watching some videos and doing a bit of research on the 2...  I find that the fears of the serpa seem somewhat unwarranted with regards to the ND...     I think if you keep your finger straight, there is no problem... and that is the way I think it would be natural to do anyhow...  I will demo it at the gun shop (I hope)

Both systems seem pretty decent, although I am concerned about the front site snagging on the ALS system...   

Of the 2, I"m going to have to lean towards the ALS because I really like the fact that the release is more protected... I could see your weapon becoming disengaged by bumping it... or say if you were on the ground...   it just seems to make more sense for the release to be protected in some manner.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
Well I think I'll make a trip to total firearms to maybe see what they have there.... and see if I can take my gun in there for fit testing...

what is a ND?

Found this video...     looks pretty slick till the guy gets shot up at the end...  ;)

An ND is a negligent discharge. If you want to try a SERPA I'll let you strap on my unloaded XDm and take a few draws with it. I live in Lansing.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
Watching some videos and doing a bit of research on the 2...  I find that the fears of the serpa seem somewhat unwarranted with regards to the ND...     I think if you keep your finger straight, there is no problem... and that is the way I think it would be natural to do anyhow...  I will demo it at the gun shop (I hope)

Both systems seem pretty decent, although I am concerned about the front site snagging on the ALS system...   

Of the 2, I"m going to have to lean towards the ALS because I really like the fact that the release is more protected... I could see your weapon becoming disengaged by bumping it... or say if you were on the ground...   it just seems to make more sense for the release to be protected in some manner.

On the South West side of town, near Dimondale, there is a place called the "Michigan Police Equipment Supply Co.". They have a good stock of Safari Land gear/holsters. If that's the brand you want, look/call there.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
I don't have an issue with paddles just prefer belt seems to work much better for me. Its all about training with drawing and discharges.

Offline METL

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
Is that place on Lansing Road TheQ?  Where abouts in lansing do you live?   x-roads....

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Is that place on Lansing Road TheQ?  Where abouts in lansing do you live?   x-roads....

It is on Lansing Road.

See your PM for the next question.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:12:39 PM by TheQ »

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »

what is a ND?

An ND is a negligent discharge. If you want to try a SERPA I'll let you strap on my unloaded XDm and take a few draws with it. I live in Lansing.

Allow him to do so in a stressful situation. Which is where ND's usually occur.

As to your earlier "It's not that hard! Train!" comment. Can you explain why some trainers will not allow a Serpa to be used in their class if it is so safe? Could it be because more then once during stress related training there have been ND's?
I understand people don't like to admit the stuff they own isn't the best, but I am just trying to let a new person know they had better make damn sure they now they are buying something that has potential to let them down.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »
Can you explain why some trainers will not allow a Serpa to be used in their class if it is so safe? Could it be because more then once during stress related training there have been ND's?

If I have a car that doesn't have anti-lock brakes, and I KNOW it doesn't have anti-lock brakes, but I slam my foot on the brake pedal and lock 'em up, is it the design of the car that's at fault or me?

If the trainers want to ban Serpas from their classes that is their right but if they used the same evaluation criteria they would also ban Glocks.  The design of the Glock uses a short, light trigger pull with no mechanical safety to stop an accidental or too-soon trigger pull.  Therefore the design makes it more prone to allowing an accident.  That's the same argument they use against the Serpa but when it comes to a Glock they say "it's all about good training".  Why the hypocrisy?  Probably because if they banned Glocks none of the Tacti-Cool crowd would take their classes and they'd lose out on a bunch of $$.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
Not sure about the losing money idea. When the Serpas started getting popular it seems like many people tried them (I own 3 of them) yet as time went on some people learned that they were not all that great. Not everybody did (as shown by this thread) so that means that trainers are losing money when they say no XX in their class.

I know I am not going to change the mind of the people that already bought them, I am just making sure the people that haven't bought one know the flaws so they can make an informed decision.

Now that you know what you know about anti lock brakes, would you advise your daughter/nephew or any new driver to buy a car with non anti lock brakes when they can get anti lock for the same price?

Offline METL

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »
I really appreciate all the advice... I have really been able to do a lot of research on the 2 just based on what i have been told here..    I feel like the serpa may be a decent holster, especially for the money, but I am just not cool with the release mechanism being exposed as it is.   I think I will most likely go with the ALS type holster.

I will have to physically check them out though to make a final determination.

Thanks again everyone!!

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
The likelyhood that it would release is small the button would have to hit and you'd have to be upside down or have the gun pulled on.

Offline METL

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »
P.S.      I can't find my PM box!!!!   lol

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
If you are near Wayne County, I have a Serpa an ALS Safariland and a leather Galco Fletch all 3 fit the same gun, if you would like you are welcome to try a few draw strokes with each.

Offline METL

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
Thanks super trucker.... I"m in Lansing though!   Going to hit total firearms tomorrow me thinks...   then going to try the place TheQ mentioned...

Offline Bronson

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
Thanks super trucker.... I"m in Lansing though!   Going to hit total firearms tomorrow me thinks...   then going to try the place TheQ mentioned...

Aaaah, that's too bad.  I was in Lansing today and could have brought a Serpa, Safariland ALS, and a leather belt holster.

Bronson

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Holster suggestions
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »
P.S.      I can't find my PM box!!!!   lol
I think the Forum has a thing at the top that says "My Messages" or something to that effect. Look there.

Offline METL

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »
So I checked out total firearms and that other place...  total didn't have crap... and the other police equip place wasn't open...  :(     I'll have to try them during the week.

Offline Brianjvo

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »
I just purchased a M4X matrix auto locking holster from Galco.  My first holster that is not IWB.  I really like it. It has a smooth draw and the lock release is right where my thumb goes automatically.  I have a hell of a time getting it off my pants without undoing my belt and junk.  Retension is very good and it is infact a paddle holster.  The difference with this paddle holster is the fact that it has rather large prongs (3 of them) that keep it from coming off.  Hense, the problem I have with taking it off.  So far no regrets.

:D
“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

Offline METL

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
Sweet... do you have a link to where you got yours?

Offline Brianjvo

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
Silver Bullet Firearms in Grand Rapids. 

Pop this in Google along with your handgun name :   M4X Matrix Auto Locking Holster

(keep and eye on shipping though)  I saw one with $20 dollar shipping.  I asked them if the weight of the gun is why the shipping was so high.  They said the gun is not included, like I was serious  :o

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

Offline METL

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
They don't make that holster for the USP compact .40 S&W yet.   >:(

I will keep an eye out for it though...  thx!

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 02:02:35 AM »

Regarding NDs. Push the button with your finger flat/straight as opposed to curled.

Well, I could see how my serpa would lock up if a rock got caught in it. This is just another reason why I don't roll around in the rocks. If I was going to be in a situaiton where I had to belly crawl across the ground I probably wouldn't use my serpa.

Perhaps it is the words "push the button" that cause the Nd problems. After all, what part of your body do you typically use to push a button? And in what direction does that part of the body travel in relative to the button? Now do that under stress while simultaneously presenting the firearm. I personally like to "glide the index finder across the lever" as I draw.

Just my two cents; sometimes I get a nickel refund. Boy, I need to get some sleep.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

Well, I could see how my serpa would lock up if a rock got caught in it. This is just another reason why I don't roll around in the rocks. If I was going to be in a situaiton where I had to belly crawl across the ground I probably wouldn't use my serpa.

Perhaps it is the words "push the button" that cause the Nd problems. After all, what part of your body do you typically use to push a button? And in what direction does that part of the body travel in relative to the button? Now do that under stress while simultaneously presenting the firearm. I personally like to "glide the index finder across the lever" as I draw.

Just my two cents; sometimes I get a nickel refund. Boy, I need to get some sleep.

Is there a chance you would fall into some snow (trip while running for cover maybe), I mean living in MI it would be fairly hard to say that is a possibility right?

For your viewing pleasure, it shows something as simple as snow making the serpa fail.

Plenty of other videos showing the failure of the serpa, this one seemed on topic though.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »
Here's mine. Like Jeff i use my holster with my glock 19, with the slide of my finger. Second that video really does't come in  play here in Michigan so much for the average Law Abiding Citizen. Who would have a coat on covering the weapon. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline METL

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
well so after much research and consideration.. I decided to go with the blackhawk serpa.  Got it for a good price...  free shipping...  hopefully it will be here soon.  I -may- be attending the fowlerville pizza deal and pop my OC cherry...  ha.... 

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:32 AM »
well so after much research and consideration.. I decided to go with the blackhawk serpa.  Got it for a good price...  free shipping...  hopefully it will be here soon.  I -may- be attending the fowlerville pizza deal and pop my OC cherry...  ha....

Don't know what you carry but I recently discovered if I were to draw my pistol during the night (with my Quark AA squared) and had to perform a tap rack bang drill my 1911 blackhawk serpa cqc holds my quark and keeps it somewhat on target. Also if I can recommend something get the disconnector kit makes dropping the kids of at the pool much easier and its nice for mounting where ever.

Offline METL

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
Finding out that the serpa could REALLY get me into some trouble if it's not a picture perfect draw...    pretty scary to think about trying to quickly draw and discharge only to have it be 'stuck' because you missed the button..   yikes!     I might have to try out a safariland ALS system..  seems like hitting the button with your thumb is a little more failsafe....

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
I think the thumb is just as likely to fail what I do is just practice. I palm my pistol (set my grip) jam my hand toward the ground, squeeze (palm and fingers), draw and pop the safety (1911), and up. I think just like whats been stated over and over its training. Spend the $20 on snap caps I think its about as important as the holster including training doing tap rack bang drills.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
I have a serpa for my 1911 and my fnp9, both with paddles.  I also have a safariland 6377 with the belt loop attachment for the 1911.  I can barely remove my serpa paddle from my pants by myself, with the belt/gun removed, using 2 hands.  I often curse it because it is so difficult to remove.  My safariland belt holster doesnt get used anymore because it seems 'floppy' on my belt with a full framed 1911 compared to the stability you get from the paddle.

Offline METL

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
I just got a new toy the other day...     Glock 22 .40 S&W and a safariland ALS holster...    HOLY CRAP!!!  It's soooooooo much better than the serpa...  WOW is it better than the serpa.  I will say, I agree that the serpa seems more secure for the paddle, but the draw is 1000x better with the ALS...    only thing I'm not liking is the cant of the holster..  but that actually might be more the angle of the glock handle.

I also think it's a lot less obvious as to how it works if anyone happened to try to grab it, additionally, it doesn't have the opportunity for jamming like the serpa due to the release placement.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 01:52:10 AM »
Can i get more information on the als holster? Like how much, were to get on for my glock 19. Thanks. Carry On. 8)
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 03:07:44 AM »
Can i get more information on the als holster? Like how much, were to get on for my glock 19. Thanks. Carry On. 8)

By entering the phrase "als holster" into the google search window The following information was resultant:

http://www.google.com/search?q=als+holster&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I often times will utilize a search engine on the internet to obtain information about subject matter that I am interested in.

As you were.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 09:05:34 AM »
Haha patrick...    I love being a smartass about that...       You should use this website for shaming people in the future...  :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=safariland+als+holster     (let me google that for you)

But to answer your question OCDetroit (I don't mind the question, but it's fun to razz people regardless) 

I got my holster from a local police equipment dealer...  $45     

There's an online place that I found them for possibly cheaper... but I'm not sure they have them in stock...    use this link:    http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6377-selection.html   And scroll down.. there are several options for Glock19.... especially at the end of the "glock section"....   

Their ordering options are confusing to me though...    the holsters are like $29... but then they have a "paddle only" option  (adds $15) which I'm not sure what that is..  so I don't know if you have to order that as well to get the paddle, or if the original $29 holster comes with belt loops and paddle...

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »
I can understand the infatuation with plastic guns, but not with the plastic holsters. They will destroy even the most durable of finishes in a very short time. A quality leather holster will not do it nearly as rapidly or severely. And there are leather retention holsters available that will provide a good level of security.

But then, I carry Mexican practically all the time. Even less holster wear.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:14 PM »
The ALS has suede lining... so I don't expect it to mar too bad...     but either way, I"m not trying to win a fashion contest here..   as long as it still goes *BANG then I'm good with scratches in the finish...     I would think ANY frequent carry sidearm would show signs of wear.

I hope you don't shoot off your twig and berries.   :D

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »
Didn't know about suede on ALS.

Not about fashion... the finish is not put on a firearm for fashion.

I go for the stainless (can't believe i said thet word) versions any more for that reason.

I don't carry Mexican with my Glock.  :o

Offline METL

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »
Yeah, I mean it's not like cushy padding... but I certainly think it will help...

The sidearm i carry in the serpa is stainless, so I"m not terribly worried about it....