Author Topic: Holster suggestions  (Read 21669 times)

Offline METL

Re: Holster suggestions
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »
I really appreciate all the advice... I have really been able to do a lot of research on the 2 just based on what i have been told here..    I feel like the serpa may be a decent holster, especially for the money, but I am just not cool with the release mechanism being exposed as it is.   I think I will most likely go with the ALS type holster.

I will have to physically check them out though to make a final determination.

Thanks again everyone!!

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
The likelyhood that it would release is small the button would have to hit and you'd have to be upside down or have the gun pulled on.

Offline METL

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »
P.S.      I can't find my PM box!!!!   lol

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
If you are near Wayne County, I have a Serpa an ALS Safariland and a leather Galco Fletch all 3 fit the same gun, if you would like you are welcome to try a few draw strokes with each.

Offline METL

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
Thanks super trucker.... I"m in Lansing though!   Going to hit total firearms tomorrow me thinks...   then going to try the place TheQ mentioned...

Offline Bronson

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
Thanks super trucker.... I"m in Lansing though!   Going to hit total firearms tomorrow me thinks...   then going to try the place TheQ mentioned...

Aaaah, that's too bad.  I was in Lansing today and could have brought a Serpa, Safariland ALS, and a leather belt holster.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Holster suggestions
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »
P.S.      I can't find my PM box!!!!   lol
I think the Forum has a thing at the top that says "My Messages" or something to that effect. Look there.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »
So I checked out total firearms and that other place...  total didn't have crap... and the other police equip place wasn't open...  :(     I'll have to try them during the week.

Offline Brianjvo

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »
I just purchased a M4X matrix auto locking holster from Galco.  My first holster that is not IWB.  I really like it. It has a smooth draw and the lock release is right where my thumb goes automatically.  I have a hell of a time getting it off my pants without undoing my belt and junk.  Retension is very good and it is infact a paddle holster.  The difference with this paddle holster is the fact that it has rather large prongs (3 of them) that keep it from coming off.  Hense, the problem I have with taking it off.  So far no regrets.

:D
“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

Offline METL

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
Sweet... do you have a link to where you got yours?

Offline Brianjvo

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
Silver Bullet Firearms in Grand Rapids. 

Pop this in Google along with your handgun name :   M4X Matrix Auto Locking Holster

(keep and eye on shipping though)  I saw one with $20 dollar shipping.  I asked them if the weight of the gun is why the shipping was so high.  They said the gun is not included, like I was serious  :o

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

Offline METL

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
They don't make that holster for the USP compact .40 S&W yet.   >:(

I will keep an eye out for it though...  thx!

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 02:02:35 AM »
Regarding SERPA lock ups. Push the button BEFORE you pull.

Regarding NDs. Push the button with your finger flat/straight as opposed to curled.

Well, I could see how my serpa would lock up if a rock got caught in it. This is just another reason why I don't roll around in the rocks. If I was going to be in a situaiton where I had to belly crawl across the ground I probably wouldn't use my serpa.

Perhaps it is the words "push the button" that cause the Nd problems. After all, what part of your body do you typically use to push a button? And in what direction does that part of the body travel in relative to the button? Now do that under stress while simultaneously presenting the firearm. I personally like to "glide the index finder across the lever" as I draw.

Just my two cents; sometimes I get a nickel refund. Boy, I need to get some sleep.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
Regarding SERPA lock ups. Push the button BEFORE you pull.

Regarding NDs. Push the button with your finger flat/straight as opposed to curled.

Well, I could see how my serpa would lock up if a rock got caught in it. This is just another reason why I don't roll around in the rocks. If I was going to be in a situaiton where I had to belly crawl across the ground I probably wouldn't use my serpa.

Perhaps it is the words "push the button" that cause the Nd problems. After all, what part of your body do you typically use to push a button? And in what direction does that part of the body travel in relative to the button? Now do that under stress while simultaneously presenting the firearm. I personally like to "glide the index finder across the lever" as I draw.

Just my two cents; sometimes I get a nickel refund. Boy, I need to get some sleep.

Is there a chance you would fall into some snow (trip while running for cover maybe), I mean living in MI it would be fairly hard to say that is a possibility right?

For your viewing pleasure, it shows something as simple as snow making the serpa fail.

Plenty of other videos showing the failure of the serpa, this one seemed on topic though.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »
Here's mine. Like Jeff i use my holster with my glock 19, with the slide of my finger. Second that video really does't come in  play here in Michigan so much for the average Law Abiding Citizen. Who would have a coat on covering the weapon. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline METL

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
well so after much research and consideration.. I decided to go with the blackhawk serpa.  Got it for a good price...  free shipping...  hopefully it will be here soon.  I -may- be attending the fowlerville pizza deal and pop my OC cherry...  ha.... 

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:32 AM »
well so after much research and consideration.. I decided to go with the blackhawk serpa.  Got it for a good price...  free shipping...  hopefully it will be here soon.  I -may- be attending the fowlerville pizza deal and pop my OC cherry...  ha....

Don't know what you carry but I recently discovered if I were to draw my pistol during the night (with my Quark AA squared) and had to perform a tap rack bang drill my 1911 blackhawk serpa cqc holds my quark and keeps it somewhat on target. Also if I can recommend something get the disconnector kit makes dropping the kids of at the pool much easier and its nice for mounting where ever.

Offline METL

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
Finding out that the serpa could REALLY get me into some trouble if it's not a picture perfect draw...    pretty scary to think about trying to quickly draw and discharge only to have it be 'stuck' because you missed the button..   yikes!     I might have to try out a safariland ALS system..  seems like hitting the button with your thumb is a little more failsafe....

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
I think the thumb is just as likely to fail what I do is just practice. I palm my pistol (set my grip) jam my hand toward the ground, squeeze (palm and fingers), draw and pop the safety (1911), and up. I think just like whats been stated over and over its training. Spend the $20 on snap caps I think its about as important as the holster including training doing tap rack bang drills.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
I have a serpa for my 1911 and my fnp9, both with paddles.  I also have a safariland 6377 with the belt loop attachment for the 1911.  I can barely remove my serpa paddle from my pants by myself, with the belt/gun removed, using 2 hands.  I often curse it because it is so difficult to remove.  My safariland belt holster doesnt get used anymore because it seems 'floppy' on my belt with a full framed 1911 compared to the stability you get from the paddle.