Author Topic: COMMON SENSE..?  (Read 17891 times)

Offline UNCLE CHEAP

COMMON SENSE..?
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »
READING THE NEW THIS MORNING I CAME ACROSS SOMEONE   TRYING TO OPEN CARRY A SHOT GUN INTO A LIBARY IN LANSING. I FOR ONE AM FOR OPEN CARRY AND GUN RIGHTS. BUT THIS CRAP IS  GETTING STUPID.  ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING IS MAKING IT HARDER TO CARRY. 

THESE PEOPLE TRYING TO OPEN CARRY A AR- INTO PONDEROSA OR SHOT GUN. HAVE NO COMMON SENCE.  I HAVE STONG ISSUES WITH THIS TYPE OF PERSON.  BECAUSE ANYONE STUPID ENOUGH TO CARRY A FIREARM LIKE THAT IN PUBIC IS STUPID ENOUGH TO SHOOT YOU.

IF I WAS IN THE LIBARY OR PONDEROSA. AND SOMEONE OPENED CARRIED A HAND GUN IN I WOULD NOT THINK NOTHING OF IT. NOW WHEN SOMEONE CARRYS A AR- OR SHOT GUN IN THEY GOT MY ATTENION.

FROM WHAT I SEE IN YOUR VIDEOS.  MOST PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR CONFLICT WITH THE POLICE.  IF YOU WANT TO OPEN CARRY YOU NEED TO EDUCATE THE POLICE( SENSE HALF THE POLICE OFFICERS THAT COME INTO MY BUSSINESS NO NOTHING ABOUT THE OPEN CARRY LAWS) AND THE PEOPLE A DIFFERENT WAY THEN   WHAT YOU ARE DOING NOW...    BECUASE  ALL  YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING IS HURTING THE CAUSE.    LOOK AT THE UPROAR THIS  CAUSED AND NONE OF IT IS POSITIVE.   YOU TOOK THE POLICE OFF THE STREETS  BECAUSE THEY HAD TO BABY SIT YOU.  MORE TAX DOLLARS WASTED..... WHEN THEY COULD OF BEEN DOING BETTER THINGS LIKE CATCHING REAL CRIMINALS OR EATING A DONUT... WAIT THEY WERE DOING THAT WHY THEY WERE WATCHING YOU.

COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY.... AND WHAT I HAVE SEEN FROM SOME PEOPLE THAT OPEN CARRY IS THEY HAVE VERY LITTLE AND THE SCARES ME.... AND THAT WILL BE THE  CAUSE OF A NO OPEN CARRY LAW COMING BACK.
THINK PEOPLE. THATS ALL I ASK. NO ONE HAS A REASON TO CARRY A SHOTGUN OR AR... FOR A OPEN CARRY WEAPON. (UNLESS YOU ARE THAT STUPID.... AND IN YOUR CASE YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID)

Offline METL

Re: COMMON SENSE..?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »
Wow.  Thanks for that well thought out and YELLING THE ENTIRE TIME message.  The broken caps lock key post just ooozes intelligence.

I am new here and in no way speak for the group, but I think that carrying the long guns is part of the point.  To focus attention on the issue.  It is right, the people DO want attention.   They DO want people to see other people carrying guns.  They DO want the police to come and to get educated.  They DO want to raise a stink. 

I don't think anyone here wants to actually tote their shottie with them at all times, but they CAN.  It is LEGAL. 

The city of Lansing has ILLEGAL laws on the books regarding the constitutionally protected right to bear arms.  If they will write and pass illegal laws such as that, then what is next?   The way I see it is if we don't exercise our rights and stand up for them, that they will be taken away little by little by over zealous politicians who want to "make us safe" from the boogey man.

There is a reason they call it EXERCISING a right.  It may not be necessary.   It is not necessary to bench press 300lbs either, but a lot of people go exercise so that they can.  Is may not be necessary to carry a shottie or a AR in public, but if it is not exercised, it will go away like an un-used muscle. 

You should be thanking these people, but like most people, you simply can't comprehend and have totally missed the point.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
COMMON SENSE..?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »
Welcome to MOC's forum. Your first post tells me you might have a problem with your computer. Will your operating system not turn the caps lock key off?

I do IT work. You can contact me privately and I'd be happy to help you with your desktop problem. I charge a below market rate of $40/hour for desktops. I even do home calls.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:37:33 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Warchild

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »
Do you also do keyboard repair; i.e....spelling, punctuation, English format?

Offline DrScaryGuy

• Ironically named
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
Well, grammar, caps lock, and law have all been covered.  There's not much left for me to say, is there?

To further belabor the point, I wouldn't say that we NEED the Nazi party or the KKK holding public rallies, but once in a while it serves as a nice reminder of just how very much freedom we are allowed.  Likewise, if people respected the fact that carrying pistols and long guns openly is COMPLETELY LEGAL and didn't react with such prejudice and ignorance, maybe there would be no need for people to raise such a fuss about it.

And yes, the MOC president DOES get invited to educate the police.  In some cases police don't care.  In THIS case, the city is passing illegal laws, and ordering the police to enforce them.  How would you have people fight to keep such a city honest without resorting to publicity tactics?  If you care to think any up, I will almost bet money on the probability that it has been tried already and also been laughed out of the city meetings.  I saw it myself once in Royal Oak; the committee only tolerated the MOC member to speak because they HAD TO, not because they were paying any attention to the fact that he was pointing out the laws they were breaking.

Offline UNCLE CHEAP

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
METL.  YOUR RIGHT MY CAPS IS BROKEN. AND IF YOU READ MY NAME IT SAID CHEAP.   I REALLY DONT CARE HOW YOU TYPE ALONG AS I CAN READ IT. SO GET OVER IT.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LANSING LAWS OR NORMAL OPEN CARRY THAT I SUPPORT... BUT I CANNOT AND WILL NOT SUPPORT SOME IDOT WALKING INTO A LIBARY WITH A  SHOTGUN WITH KIDS AND STUDENTS. THINKING THEY ARE DOING GOOD WHEN THEY ARENT... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LAWS AND WHERE YOU CAN CARRY..... IT'S ABOUT CARRYING A SHOTGUN INTO A LIBARY. I WOULD OF HAD NO PROBLEM  IF THAT PERSON WAS CARRYING A PISTOL.

YOU WANT PEOPLE AND POLICE TO LEARN ABOUT OPEN CARRY...  IT'S CALLED EDUCATION.....
 U DONT GO TO A LIBARY WITH A SHOTGUN... WHAT GOOD IS THAT GOING TO DO...
 HOW WILL THE HELP THE CAUSE?... I DON'T SEE ANYWAY IT WILL HELP.

MAYBE SET UP SOME TRAINING FOR THE POLICE.( YOU SEEM TO KNOW THE LAWS AND THEY DONT.  VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME AND EXPLAIN THE LAWS.) THEN MAYBE  YOUR RELATIONSHIP WILL BE POSITVE WITH THEM NOT NEGITIVE. I HAVE A LOT OF COPS COME INTO TO MY BUSINESS AND MOST OF THEM HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT OPEN CARRY AND THE ONE'S THAT DO SAY 80% OF THE OPEN CARRY PEOPLE ARE JACK-a$$'S JUST LOOKING TO ARGUE... THEY HAVE A LOT OF BETTER THINGS TO DO  THEN STAND AROUND AND HAVE A  CIRCLE JERK ARUGING WITH YOU.

REMEMBER IT ALL STARTS WITH YOU AND FROM WHAT I SEE FROM  MOST PEOPLE WHO OPEN CARRY  ARE GOING ABOUT IT ALL THE WRONG WAY.  THE REASON I JOINED THIS SITE WAS I AM TIRED OF HEARING ALL THE NEGITIVE STUFF ABOUT OPEN CARRY. YOU WANT PEOPLE TO START LEARING ABOUT OPEN CARRY AND EMBRACE IT. MAKE IT POSITVE....
 AN IDOT WALKING INTO A LIBARY WITH A SHOTGUN TO PROVE A POINT IS NOT POSITIVE.IT'S STUPID. SAY WHAT YOU WANT, BUT  THAT'S THE TRUTH AND HOW I SEE IT AND EVERY OTHER PERSON WITH SOME COMMON SENSE SEE'S IT.

MAYBE IT'S TIME  YOU  TAKE OFF YOUR ROSE COLORED GLASSES AND THINK ABOUT  YOUR CAUSE. BECAUSE THE WAY I SEE. SOME  PEOPLE ARE GOING ABOUT OPEN CARRY THE WRONG WAY. I DON'T WANT MY GUN RIGHTS TAKEN AWAY BECAUSE SOME IDOTS ARE JUST TRYING TO PROVE A POINT.
YOU KEEP WALKING INTO PLACES WITH A SHOTGUN OR AR AND YOU WILL GET PEOPLE'S ATTENION ALL FOR THE WRONG REASONS. ALL OUR GOVERMENT NEEDS IS ANOTHER REASON TO TRY AND TAKE OUR GUNS.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
MOC as a group doesn't promote carry of long guns, but it is legal.

Since this is your first post I will copy and paste the objectives of MOC for your viewing pleasure.
The objectives of Michigan Open Carry are:

To educate and desensitize the public and members of the law enforcement community about the legality of the open carry of a handgun in public.

To exercise a natural right to self defense using the most efficient and common tool, a handgun.

To demonstrate to the public at large that gun owners are one of the most lawful segments of society and they have nothing to fear from the lawful carry of a firearm.

To protect our right to self-defense.

Quote from: UNCLE CHEAP
IF I WAS IN THE LIBARY OR PONDEROSA. AND SOMEONE OPENED CARRIED A HAND GUN IN I WOULD NOT THINK NOTHING OF IT. NOW WHEN SOMEONE CARRYS A AR- OR SHOT GUN IN THEY GOT MY ATTENION.

If you were at the Ponderosa or library, they would have got your attention and you would see that NOTHING BAD happened.

I do not personally agree with long gun carry in the city, but both instances you mentioned were in the big picture positive situations. Nobody was hurt, anybody who actually was present now knows it is legal and there was no blood running in the streets like the old west.

Offline DrScaryGuy

• Ironically named
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
METL.  YOUR RIGHT MY CAPS IS BROKEN. AND IF YOU READ MY NAME IT SAID CHEAP.   I REALLY DONT CARE HOW YOU TYPE ALONG AS I CAN READ IT. SO GET OVER IT.

It really does make things harder to read when you leave the caps lock on.  Please try to type normally.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LAWS AND WHERE YOU CAN CARRY..... IT'S ABOUT CARRYING A SHOTGUN INTO A LIBARY. I WOULD OF HAD NO PROBLEM  IF THAT PERSON WAS CARRYING A PISTOL.

It has everything to do with laws.  The city and library are trying to enforce illegal laws and curtail The People's rights.  Most of the members DO carry pistols and they get treated the same way.  It's nice to see that you support the open carry of pistols, though.  Welcome!

YOU WANT PEOPLE AND POLICE TO LEARN ABOUT OPEN CARRY...  IT'S CALLED EDUCATION.....

MOC regularly hosts free informational meetings, public dinners at participating restaurants, makes appearances on local radio stations, AND the president goes out to teach police what the law actually allows.  Check the webpage, they do A LOT.  I've been to 3 public events in the past month.

MAYBE SET UP SOME TRAINING FOR THE POLICE.( YOU SEEM TO KNOW THE LAWS AND THEY DONT.  VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME AND EXPLAIN THE LAWS.) THEN MAYBE  YOUR RELATIONSHIP WILL BE POSITVE WITH THEM NOT NEGITIVE. I HAVE A LOT OF COPS COME INTO TO MY BUSINESS AND MOST OF THEM HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT OPEN CARRY AND THE ONE'S THAT DO SAY 80% OF THE OPEN CARRY PEOPLE ARE JACK-a$$'S JUST LOOKING TO ARGUE...

As I said, they already do.  Can I ask you why you think it is that the police don't feel compelled to actually know the laws they're supposed to be upholding?  Furthermore, why do you think that they don't care what the law says?  They could very easily answer a call about a man with a gun by saying "Sir or ma'am, that activity is completely legal.  As long as they are not threatening anybody, we need to send our officers out to respond to real crimes," yet they feel it necessary to go hassle people who are doing nothing wrong.  As for the 80% thing, stop by one of the events and you'll find out that "the other 20%" is more like 100% of the people you'll meet.

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »
Why do you feel it is different to bring a shotgun or a scary AR-15 than a pistol?  The most deadly shootings have happened with a pistol if I"m not mistaken...     but I just want to know why you have that thought..  honest question.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »
Uncle Cheap,

It is not so much that you use capital letters so much as the problem rests with your inability to spell, use proper grammar, or sentence structure. The combination of all these factors discredit not only your opinion, but also your credibility.

Furthermore, it makes it extremely difficult for those of us with an 8th grade education to understand what you are attempting to promulgate with your 3rd grade education.

Insofar as the open carry of a shotgun into a public library is concerned, I see it as nothing more as further evidence of an attention whore garnering his sought after reward and nothing more.

It is a lawful activity. There is no disputing this. I was, and continue to be, an adamant supporter of the principle that it is a lawful activity. However, I do not see it as a viable means by which to promote open carry at this time. I am not for diminishing the participation of a lawful activity. I am merely for participating in those activities under circumstances which are appropriate for the purpose and intent of accomplishing the objectives for which we, as an organization, are attempting to achieve.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:09:36 PM »
Uncle Cheap you will need to tone it down or I will be forced to lock your thread. Other action may be taken as required by the policies of this forum.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »
Another point to make someone might already have a 870 that they use as a bird gun but don't have enough money for a pistol so to defend themselves they carry what they have an 870.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »
Another point to make someone might already have a 870 that they use as a bird gun but don't have enough money for a pistol so to defend themselves they carry what they have an 870.

A very good point. Well put also.

I can see the usefulness of a 12ga with a 20+ inch barrel as a primary self defense weapon while pumping gas or performing similar routine tasks in close quarter situations. Not to mention the ease with which it can be deployed and transported.

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
my guess uncle cheap is an anti in here just stirring up some infighting and intentionally dumbing down. it's a way to insult while showing pretend curiosity. it's like the anti's wearing airsoft guns going out and "representing" OC while creating negative images. don't buy into it guys.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »
     Yea, I agree it probably isn't the right climate to be in a  library carrying a long arm, but I still would fight for the right, as I want it in case the need to use it were to arise.  I disagree with those who did it, but I do understand some of their issues.  You can pay taxes, vote, and fight for your country at 18, but you can't buy a pistol unless you find a private seller, only way you can carry at that age (18-21) is a long arm.

The original poster discusses the majority of OCers out for attention from the police, when in fact I will admit there are surely some of those who OC, who are in MOC, and who frequent OCDO.  The overall majority of OCers though in Michigan are out there not to cause problems, not to hassle the police, not to intimidate, but to educate the public, express their constitutional rights, and to promote legal self defense.  I carry to protect myself, and I open carry to promote legal carry and the ownership of firearms by the public for self defense.  I don't want attention, I don't want negative attention, I don't encourage police interaction, but I do want everyday folks to ask me WTF! so I can talk to them and educate them and get their minds turning on the concept of everyday pistol carrying, whether concealed or otherwise.  Most of the folks around here who OC are of a similar mindset and not out to showboat.

Please accept that in any group their will be people who think they are helping a cause but in reality probably are not.  You can not hold the cause, the group, or the class of folks accountable for the acts of a few individuals actions that you disagree with.

This may only be the internet, but utilizing caps lock is traditionally a yelling mode on the internet.  There is no need to yell at us if you are not a troll and only looking to discuss the matter you brought up.  Yelling only makes you look like a troll and uneducated or uncaring, either way, we are all here for polite conversation and do not need to be yelled at because you are upset with the actions of the minority of our fellow OCers.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:59:23 AM »
Okay we get it the OP is not an English Major, and May have a cheap computation Machine...lol.

Bottom Line he has a right to his Opinion. He does present a different point of view which is what we ask of people in a free speech society. He draws a few points I made about this topic that yes those incidents may have been a little to much for the location, and certain people do have an Attention Agenda. We have to remember here at MOC we promote Open Carry of all Arms, but we concentrate on Pistols. We also promote common sense and free speech. We also need to project a some what professional forum for those who view this & wish to Join, and or use this type of rhetoric against us.

As Sergeant at Arms I'm asking all members, and posters to keep this in mind as we post and or respond to post. We all are guilty of this at one time or another (Me included) I'm just asking to keep it Funny and Light Please  :)
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »
+1 CARRY ON.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline UNCLE CHEAP

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »
  Just to make some of you cry babys HAPPY,i went and brought a new keyboard.  (i do not shop at wal mart)
 For all the people complaining about my spelling and grammer..  read my motto

I made my point their are some good people that open carry and a lot of  idiots out their that just want to aruge...(they did it here)  that is their right and it is also my right to say what i want..(p.s. auto surgeon your telling  me tone it down.. is this a site for adults or kids?)

I agree with open carry, just not with  heavy iron going into a libary...

Just like i said you got someone's attention and look you cant carry into a libary anymore...(they will make laws up thats out goverment)

For the people that say i am anti gun.... your right..  i am 100% anti goverment... to the few other on here who agree with what i am trying to say.. thank you... to the others... i will make sure i am nowhere near you.

"First of all you are the one who came here with the combative attitude. I suggest you read our forum rules prior to posting further.

Also your Sig line is not appropriate and must be removed. You may use the sig line for what the rules state or for any appropriate (firearms rights related) information.

See quoted rule

Signature Rules
A typical signature contains the poster's name, e-mail address, website, and a favorite quote or saying. Excessive font size are not allowed. Anyone abusing this privilege will be warned and then have their signature removed until they acknowledge this guideline.

"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:10:35 AM by autosurgeon »

Offline METL

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
LoL Uncle Cheapo...    thanks for splurging on that keyboard just for us.  :)

I don't have much problem with your opinion...  but I will tell you this (and someone may have already said it)

You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
Why do you people keep wanting to catch flies???

What is your infatuation with flies???

And I believe that turds actually attract more flies than anything else.