Author Topic: Accidental Discharge  (Read 9763 times)

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
Accidental Discharge
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:37:49 AM »
My neck of the woods.  I've said it before, I'll say it again... Cops should not be allowed to carry guns in public it is too dangerous, and it might scare people. Especially in the Lansing Library...lol

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/02/geneseee_county_sheriffs_deput.html
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline METL

Re: Accidental Discharge
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
Here's another link with more info....   deputy was off duty. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/02/sheriff_deputy_was_off_duty_wh.html

Also, one of the comments cracked me up....      IT's -GREAT- advice!!!     "Keep the booger hook off the bangswitch!"      :D

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Accidental Discharge
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »
Name not released. Typical, if it was your average citizen, his name would be all over the paper.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline dieseldon

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
Theres no such thing as a accidental discharge. Only carelessness. And yes if it was one of us law abiding citizens they would have made a big case out of it. Just my 2 cents

Dieseldon

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Theres no such thing as a accidental discharge. Only carelessness. And yes if it was one of us law abiding citizens they would have made a big case out of it. Just my 2 cents

Dieseldon

So the mechanical failure of a firearm resulting in its discharge is careless?

You've proven that your $0.02 is worth just that...
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
How bout Unintentional...
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
I am guessing she removed it from the holster before sitting for the transaction, then had an issue trying to re-holster. We will never know the truth though.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »
Why unholster it in the first place???

Showing off for the dentist???

Was there some sort of deadly threat that necessitated her to clear leather???
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
She was off duty, so I"m not exactly thinking she had it holstered... but my initial thought was maybe when she undid her pants, everything fell and it hit the floor or something?   I dunno...   weird.   

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »
My bad. Missed the bathroom part.

If it fell and discharged upon impact, I'd call that an accidental discharge. No modern firearm should discharge from being dropped.

Of course there are some who purchase cheap pistols manufactured in former soviet bloc countries, or those imported from third world countries. In that case it is a negligent discharge. No exceptions.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »
I have read on numerous forum about people removing their gun from the holster prior to using the bathroom, they set it on the TP holder or sink, some say they set it in their skivvies, because they think the boogie man is going to reach under the stall and take it.

As they re-holster they have a ND and blame everything under the sun except the extra handling of a gun when not needed.

Offline METL

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:04 PM »
I thought that some guns could still go off, especially from being dropped muzzle down...  and teh impact and gravity make the firing pin continue down once the muzzle hits the ground...   

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
The earlier model Ruger SR9`s  were recalled for issuse they were having going off when dropped.

from the ruger site:  "We have determined that some Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position."   http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/index.html

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:40:21 PM by DetroitBiker »

Offline DrScaryGuy

• Ironically named
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:15:05 PM »
The best part is that it's all being handled internally so we'll probably never know what happened.  It's not like that fantastic DEA video of "the only person professional enough" to carry a "glockforty."  I'm sure you could submit a FOIA request, but it would probably be rejected on the grounds of homeland security...

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and bet that she was reholstering with her finger too close to the trigger.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Accidental Discharge
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
Whenever I holster I do so by the grip only. The XDm has a backstrap and trigger safety. If you don't touch either safety...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 01:28:47 AM »

Dieseldon

Not sure that was really needed CV. Knowing the deputy involved and the chance of a mechanical failure I think this can be chalked up to unintentional. Good to hear no one was injured. I will get the make and model either way stand by...
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 03:12:57 AM »

Dieseldon

Not sure that was really needed CV. Knowing the deputy involved and the chance of a mechanical failure I think this can be chalked up to unintentional. Good to hear no one was injured. I will get the make and model either way stand by...

Not quite understanding you point Ken. Dieseldon says there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. Only carelessness. I disagree.

Mechanical failures are not carelessness, in my opinion.

You however dismiss mechanical failure, yet call it unintentional? What the heck is an unintentional discharge that doesn't involve a mechanical failure? Now that sounds like carelessness to me. There is NO excuse for the discharge of a weapon unintentionally that does not involve mechanical failure.

So please do tell Ken, since you have such a personal knowledge of the individual involved, why did the gun go off? Did it fall? Was it dropped? Was it being handled recklessly or carelessly? Was the individual unfamiliar with the firearm? There must be some logical explanation for this "unintentional" discharge.

The point of my post was to take exception to dieseldon's unequivocal dismissal of the possibility of an accidental discharge occurring. You seem to agree with him. Albeit you attempt to minimize the impact of the carelessness by categorizing it as "unintentional" with no injuries. So just what makes this firearm discharge so "unintentional"? I'm certain it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it involves a LEO.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 07:07:32 AM »
Not quite understanding you point Ken. Dieseldon says there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. Only carelessness. I disagree.

Mechanical failures are not carelessness, in my opinion.

You however dismiss mechanical failure, yet call it unintentional? What the heck is an unintentional discharge that doesn't involve a mechanical failure? Now that sounds like carelessness to me. There is NO excuse for the discharge of a weapon unintentionally that does not involve mechanical failure.

So please do tell Ken, since you have such a personal knowledge of the individual involved, why did the gun go off? Did it fall? Was it dropped? Was it being handled recklessly or carelessly? Was the individual unfamiliar with the firearm? There must be some logical explanation for this "unintentional" discharge.

The point of my post was to take exception to dieseldon's unequivocal dismissal of the possibility of an accidental discharge occurring. You seem to agree with him. Albeit you attempt to minimize the impact of the carelessness by categorizing it as "unintentional" with no injuries. So just what makes this firearm discharge so "unintentional"? I'm certain it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it involves a LEO.

CV if you are looking for an argument you will not find one here. I am sure I can speak for many on the board that such posts are also not welcomed. Your condescension and sarcasm with no basis does not prove a point.

Dieseldon simply gave his opinion on the matter. Rather than just leaving it at that you have to bash a logical opinion.

And since he has not replied to the post you had to start in on my when I am working to give some FACTS on the event. Then you go on to twist my statement. Which is easier done with words... Text does not lie. I said "Knowing the deputy involved and the chance of a mechanical failure I think this can be chalked up to unintentional."
Where did I dismiss mechanical failure!?!? I simply expressed that the chances are slim for there to be a malfunction of a gun.

You then go on with sarcasm when I already said I do not yet have all of the information and when I hear back I will post what I know. I also will not release the persons' name. Just the type of gun and their description of the event.

Your further assumptions about my personal opinions are ridiculous. I do not like to hear about any "accidental" discharge of a weapon. But I am glad to hear no one was injured. Also, no matter what the career choice of the person I do not want to see anyone burned at the stake for such an incident.
Please take your attitude to another board. Come back when you have something meaningful to add and can disagree with another persons opinion with just a little class.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 07:22:02 AM »
     I am locking this thread, there really is no further point in the thread until there is more information on the subject matter.  A few posts have been reported and I think the topic will only lead to hotter heads.  Feel free to re-post the story for discussion when actual facts are given, although we are talking about the media and the government, I wouldn't hold your breath.

-northofnowhere
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher