Author Topic: CPL\Open carry question  (Read 11818 times)

Offline v-wrighjd

CPL\Open carry question
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Hey guys, I am new here. I have a CPL, and not sure if I am ready to go full out with the open carry. With summer coming up, it is going to be harder for me to conceal. So I was thinking of doing a "casual conceal carry" where the bottom of my G23 in a blackhawk Serpa may be poking out. For grocery stores like meijer or kroger where they sell liquor, am I legal to open carry and concealed? Or how about "casual open carry" with partial exposure?

-Thanks,
Justin

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Re: CPL\Open carry question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:02:52 PM »
First i would like to say  welcome to MOC. I myself love my Glock 19, 9mm. I have and will carry it in my blackhawk also while i open carry. No such thing as half open or half concealed. We want to see the whole holster, for open and don't want to see it if it is concealed. That's cut and dry. Look forward to meeting you at some of our outtings. Carry On.
T
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »
If you are OCing in a PFZ with your CPL, it better be OC with zero doubt.

If you are shopping at meijers and you have a CPL legaly it doesn't matter how open or concealed it is.

MOC has OC seminars about once per month, they move the locations so it makes it easy for everybody to attend. The seminars are free and last about 2 hours, you can ask questions as they are going if you don't understand. They will be back at the Taylor Gander Mtn within the next couple of months. Watch the events section of the forum and try to attend when you can.

MOC also has a diner once a month on the moving location system also.

Offline v-wrighjd

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »
what I am asking is, because they sell liquor, am I REQUIRED to open carry, or can I conceal it? (granted the store doesn't prohibit weapons)

And since the weather was so nice after dinner, I went for a nice walk with my girlfriend and OC'd. It felt pretty normal. :-)

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:30:19 AM by Super Trucker »

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »
welcome to MOC and OC. just my advice and opinions. forget casual conceal. the O in OC is for OPEN. show it proud. let people know you are legally excercising your right to carry for your and others defense. this shows the public that it is a legal and normal activity.
there is no need to draw attention to it or act any differently. you'll find that most people either don't even notice it or see it and give very little reaction. if any comments at all the negative will be the fewest. interested people will ask, those who know will give you a thumbs up for stepping forward with your rights. police are knowledgeable (or should be) about it and in my experience leave you alone unless called by someone to investigate. most contacts will be brief and after establishing OC they will leave. they will ask for ID and your choice unless driving to show or not. i've had several police drive by or interact with people right by me without ever saying a word to me about it. there may still be a few officers who may not agree and try to give you a hard time. be prepared and knowledgeable in the laws that allow this so they cannot intimidate you. you are in the right. do not let them convince you otherwise.
once again welcome.
MOC
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:10:50 PM »
I carry a G23 in a Serpa also. Sometimes I have my jacket over the pistol, sometimes not. In the wintertime I really give it little thought as reaching for it is the same (I wear my coat open most of the time).
As soon as it warms up a bit... then it's back to no jacket OC.  ;D
Since you have a CPL and as long as you are not in a place listed in MCL 28.425o, you will be fine. I do agree with those who say just wear it open for the world to see... and you will find that most don't even notice.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).