Author Topic: OC at an Indoor Arena (no CPL)  (Read 4107 times)

Spec

OC at an Indoor Arena (no CPL)
« on: February 17, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »
Below are two links of places where I'm not sure if you can OC with out a CPL...

I have been to Liberty Park and the seating capacity is no more than a small High school gym. The sports plex I'm not sure about. any info on the seating capacity of indoor sports arena's would be good.. or is it off limits purely due to the nature of "no CPL no sports arena?"

http://www.taylorsportsplex.com/

http://libertyparkofamerica.com/

Offline Bronson

Re: OC at an Indoor Arena (no CPL)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

Seating capacity only comes into play with a concealed pistol.  So it's like you said, "no CPL no sports arena."  Also if either of the two places is licensed to sell alcohol you may not OC w/o CPL.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »
I don't understand... I thought that is the list of CPL PFZ's...     but I thought you could open carry in PFZ...   is that only with CPL? 

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
Right. Carry ON.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:46:51 AM »
I don't understand... I thought that is the list of CPL PFZ's...     but I thought you could open carry in PFZ...   is that only with CPL?

Sorry I should have clarified in my post.

Firearm Free Zones (pistol OC free zones, also includes long arms):

750.234d

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.    

The above are places you cannot OC a firearm without meeting one of the listed exemptions, two of which are a CPL or having permission from the owner or owners agent.

The below MCL lists places where you cannot conceal a pistol:

28.425o

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property except that a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the child from the school. As used in this section, "school" and "school property" mean those terms as defined in section 237a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.237a.

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium.

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

(g) A hospital.

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

If you are open carrying the above PFZs do not apply to you and if you have a CPL neither list applies to you. 

If you do NOT have a CPL the first list becomes your pistol carrying bible.

Bronson
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:54:19 AM by Bronson »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine