Author Topic: New logging in method for forums  (Read 11916 times)

Offline northofnowhere

New logging in method for forums
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »
     Due to recent security related issues, we have switched the method of logging in tot he forums from a user name to an email address.  This will help alleviate certain types of attacks on our login system.  This is not necessarily a permanent solution, just one of many the IT Department is attempting to further protect MOC and the membership from those who would do us and our cause harm.  While we constantly update software and monitor security and rarely announce changes, we wished to convey this one in an announcement as it is a break from what we are all used to.

The IT Department at MOC hopes this does not unnecessarily inconvenience anyone and any issues or problems should go directly to "it at miopencarry.org".

Sincerely,

Jason E. Reese
MOC IT Department
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:57:38 PM by northofnowhere »
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: New logging in method for forums
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
Coincidentally, I received email notifications of about 6 failed log-on attempts for my account, a few days ago. The IP addresses were spoofed from several locations around the country and a couple from the UK.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New logging in method for forums
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
Coincidentally, I received email notifications of about 6 failed log-on attempts for my account, a few days ago. The IP addresses were spoofed from several locations around the country and a couple from the UK.
Ditto. I think this is in response to that. Maybe somebody l33t in Lansing is trying to mess with us over CADL?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:35 PM »
I presumed the same as well.  After looking into it quite extensively it has more to do with a generic attack.  In the last month there are quite a pile of other websites, all non related, who are under the same type of threat.  It is a specific type of attack many SMF based forums are under, unrelated to our mission or goals, but just another new thing intelligent people do who have no moral values or proper supervision.  Welcome to the internet.

-jason r.

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »
FWIW someone made around 6 attempts on my account as well....     my password pwned them.   (probably not really)

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »
Something else I have noticed over the last few days is the forum time is off. Right now it is 1 hour slow, I looked but didn't see anyplace I could change is this something for the IT guys or am I missing a place with more options?

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »
I believe I addressed the time issue last week.  I think it "was" off and now is on and correct.  Check to make sure you don't have a time offset set up or auto detected.

Profile > Forum Profile > Look and Feel > Set "Time Offset" to 0

With that set up you should be looking at eastern time in relation to the forums.

-jason r.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »
Thank you Jason, it was set to -1

Offline kubel

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:50:20 AM »
Ditto. I think this is in response to that. Maybe somebody l33t in Lansing is trying to mess with us over CADL?

It's just a spam bot or two. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:13:25 AM »
Or perhaps when and if a username and password match is found, the thing simply takes that combination and tries to log into every bank known to man (or computer) to try to find a rich person without enough sense to use a different password for financial accounts?
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
I think everyones got the jist of this, unstickying to clean up the sticky stuff.