Author Topic: Oc in Bay City  (Read 5303 times)

Offline alan6271

Oc in Bay City
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »
Hi, this is my first post and I'm new to the group, and OC.  I do have a CPL that expires in June and applied for the renewal two weeks ago.  It's a good thing I did because Genesee County is saying to expect a 12 week wait.

I OC'd for the first time last weekend.  I went to the Speedway on Grand Blanc Rd and 23, got gas, went in and asked for glass cleaner.  They didn't have any so I went to Dollar Tree in front of Meijer on Hill road.  Found glass cleaner and waited in line behind someone counting out $5 in change.  GEEZ.  I got a few looks from a couple that couldn't take their eyes of my XD.  I said good morning, and they didn't say a word.  So I finally got up to the counter and the cashier didn't even see it.  Got on the freeway and headed to Bay City but kept checking my rearview for the cops, they never showed.  I thought for sure the couple would be calling me in.

Went to West Marine in Bay City and one of my boating buddies just pointed at it and smiled.  Nobody else said a thing.

Not a bad experience. 

stainless1911

Re: Oc in Bay City
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
Welcome.
Its worse to have to count out the change, than to wait behind the guy counting out the change.

Offline alan6271

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:35:06 AM »
Thanks Stainless1911.  I have to admit, I'm still VERY nervous about Open Carrying.  It's getting a little better but I find myself avoiding places like Home Depot just because of the trouble they've given to OCing. 

stainless1911

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »
At first, you feel like you are carrying a big red flag thet reads (I have a GUN!!!) , that goes away in time. Be proud of your rights. Leave CC to the  BG. As for the law abiding and the LEOs, let us OC. Its our country, its our right. Wear it with pride.

Having problems is becoming less frequent the more we do this. Look at it this way, as long as you are not breaking the laws, then dealing with the LEOs is a good thing. You have the security of police presence, you have acted responsibly around the LEO, leaving a good impression, and cops do talk to cops. By meeting them, you can do a lot within the departments. The more exposure you have, the more they see OC as OK. Next time, the cop will see you and think, "Oh, its Alan, no biggie, I'll just say hi". One of the absolute best ways to reassure the public is when they see you deal with the police, not disarmed, then part ways with a handshake, and your gun. NEVER let the cop talk you into "just concealing it for now", even if you have a CPL. Thats one of the worst things you can do for OC. If people see that, well, they talk too. Given the chance, I will approach the cop, and strike up a conversation with them.

Offline alan6271

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
Thanks again for the advice.  I'll keep carrying but I haven't seen any posts from anyone carrying in Bay City or Flint.  The other thing is that being a boater, I am always dealing with the Coast Guard.  Let me preface this by saying, I'm glad they are there and they do a great job protecting our borders and water ways, but in Bay City they do border on harrassment.  I am concerned how to deal with "Federal LEO".  Do they operate in the same manner?  I know they don't have to have any cause to stop and search you.  And I have been searched.  They stopped me coming up the river at idle speed with just my wife and a sleeping 6 month old baby in her lap, baby was wearing a life jacket.  They concern me more than anyone.  I fully intend on open carrying on my boat, at the marina, and down town Bay City but we'll see how they handle it.  When I got stopped before I disclosed that I had a CPL and no gun on board.  They said "are you law enforcemnt?"  When I told them no, they had a second CG get on my boat too. 

Thanks for all the advice.

stainless1911

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
Start a thread on the cost guard issue in Michigan forum on Open Carry Dot Org.

I personally would like to follow that one. there are some people on there that really know their $#!+.

Offline alan6271

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 07:26:06 AM »
will do

Offline kyleplusitunes

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
if i remember right stainless is a bad guy cause he was CCing where he shouldn't have been

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »
Kyle it is better to let sleeping dogs lie!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

stainless1911

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 11:54:51 AM »
Hey now, I wasnt CC, I was OC. And Im not a BG, at worst, I was found responsible of a civil infraction.