Author Topic: OC in Hospital  (Read 6489 times)

Offline firefighter7206

OC in Hospital
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
Today I went to visit my father in the ER in a Clinton Tsp. Hospital. I was greeted by the security guard as I was OCing. He asked if I was a police oficer? I replied no. He then stated that I could not have a weapon in plain view or in the hospital. I explained to him the pre emption law in Mi. and handed him a flyer. He briefly looked it over and said he was unaware of the law. He then said go ahead and if anyone back there says anything just have them call me. On my way out I gave him the flyer to keep. Thought it was gonna be a big ordeal but realy it was smoothe. Later
My views and opinions are just that MINE!  GOD BLESS AMERICA :) CARRY ON

Offline Bronson

Re: OC in Hospital
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
Suh and Weet.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
Outstanding!!

Rainman48314

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:12:22 PM »
Today I went to visit my father in the ER in a Clinton Tsp. Hospital. I was greeted by the security guard as I was OCing. He asked if I was a police oficer? I replied no. He then stated that I could not have a weapon in plain view or in the hospital. I explained to him the pre emption law in Mi. and handed him a flyer. He briefly looked it over and said he was unaware of the law. He then said go ahead and if anyone back there says anything just have them call me. On my way out I gave him the flyer to keep. Thought it was gonna be a big ordeal but realy it was smoothe. Later
I'm a newbie. I know a hospital is a pistol free zone for CPL holders. What's the pre-emption? Thanks

Offline ajelias

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
Open carry with cpl is ok in pistol free zones

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:42 AM »
Open carry with cpl is ok in pistol free zones

Open carry, with a CPL, is lawful in MOST pistol free zones.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
I'm a newbie. I know a hospital is a pistol free zone for CPL holders. What's the pre-emption? Thanks

A hospital is NOT a pistol free zone for CPL holders.  It is a pistol free zone for CONCEALED CARRY....big difference.

MCL 28.425o
(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(g) A hospital.

A hospital is also a firearm free zone (OC free zone), unless you meet one of the listed exemptions, one of which is having a CPL.

MCL 750.234d

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(g) A hospital.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon

So you may not concealed carry in a hospital and you may not open carry in a hospital unless you have a CPL.

Now that being said this only applies to publicly owned hospitals.  Any privately owned hospital may make whatever rules it wants in regards to firearm possession.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
True that True that, I found out at Henry Ford's in Detroit. Posted last year. Privately owned. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 03:33:54 AM »

Now that being said this only applies to publicly owned hospitals.  Any privately owned hospital may make whatever rules it wants in regards to firearm possession.

Bronson

Are you saying that a privately owned hospital can allow concealed carry without a CPL? Or say OC without a CPL? I had always thought that the firearms laws applied equally to private hospitals as it does to public hospitals. It's good to know that now. I suppose anyone can just conceal whenever in a private hospital.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Bronson

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »

Are you saying that a privately owned hospital can allow concealed carry without a CPL?

Mosty I ignore you but you do make a valid point that I what I wrote wasn't clear so I'll clarify.

No, a private hospital may not make a rule that supersedes state law.  They cannot make a rule that allows unlicensed concealed carry because NO private property owner may allow that.  A privately owned hospital has all the rights of any other privately owned property so they may allow or disallow legal firearm possession as they wish.

Or say OC without a CPL?

Actually, yes they may allow OC without a CPL as 750.234d allows for open firearms possession in any of the listed firearm free zones if the carrier has permission from the owner/management.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(g) A hospital.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity

Bronson

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. You can go back to ignoring me now.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
 :) +1. Carry ON
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.