Author Topic: Non-CPL OC: Bow Hunting  (Read 4160 times)

Offline 13mile9

Non-CPL OC: Bow Hunting
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
I'm potentially posting this thought a little early...not having researched the laws extensively. 

However, I have begun to question the DNR's ability to enact and enforce a "no handgun carry" law during bow season for those that do not have a CPL.   I understand the possible logic/reason why...so game is not taken with a handgun...but wouldn't a CPL holder have the same temptation. ???

How can that take priority over rights to carry.   Why should the purchase of an "archery license" in MI be a license for them to regulate OC.   
(this topic may have been hashed over before...forgive me if I have missed it.)

Do you agree with it being illegal?   (for the non-CPL)   (reference links and info pasted below.  However, I know everyone is familiar with the info.)

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

Archery Deer Seasons
During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer.

Exceptions: This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.

Again, been pondering this, and have wondered what you all think of it.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: Non-CPL OC: Bow Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
I agree it is currently illegal. I also agree it is idiotic.

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:01:36 AM »
To clarify my question...
Do you agree with it being illegal?   

I should have worded my question:   "Are you in favor of the law as it stands?"   Is there a common sense reason to keep a non-CPL holder from carrying a pistol afield while bow hunting? 

As I have thought about it more...my conclusion is with Scott,  that it is idiotic and makes no sense. 

Sorry for the poor wording of the question.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »
Ask the guy who was attacked by the bear in his tree stand if he feels this law is fair. Not knowing the ins and outs of that situation, I don't think he had a sidearm, maybe he didn't have a CPL. All I know is his bow became useless when the bear climbed the tree and attacked him.

http://articles.petoskeynews.com/2010-10-12/wildlife-officers_24132008

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »
Wow...that was a serious situation, and could have been prevented if has was carrying...to fire off warning shots or something.  I had a freaky thing like that happen to me in the woods this past fall....after dark coming out of the tree.  I was so thankful to have my handgun with me. 

I guess I don't understand why the DNR still has this law on the books, also, I don't know if it has been challenged.  I've personally never looked into it.

I do feel this is a major infringment upon handgun carry rights...with no apparant reason.   Am I wrong?