Author Topic: Holster and Belt Selection  (Read 25789 times)

Offline Bronson

Re: Holster and Belt Selection
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
Pretty much what CoonDog said.

Another option is a leather OWB with a thumbreak retention strap.  The technology is simple but effective and fairly free of mechanical failures.  There are many many holster makers out on the interwebnetz that could hook you up.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline CoonDog

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
To add to Bronson's excellent comment on leather OWB, check out the Galco Fletch.
The OC movement helps gain acceptance for all forms of carry.

Offline Michigander

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
I use a Fine Tac safariland 6280 and a Raine Inc gun belt. Holster was 80, belt was 20. I am very happy with the rig for its durability and retention. Although, I don't discourage Serpa use if you want a little more speed and are willing to sacrifice retention and have faster holster wear on your guns finish.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »
I use a Fine Tac safariland 6280 and a Raine Inc gun belt. Holster was 80, belt was 20. I am very happy with the rig for its durability and retention. Although, I don't discourage Serpa use if you want a little more speed and are willing to sacrifice retention and have faster holster wear on your guns finish.

Yep, I don't have much on my xd9, but it's on both sides of the slide in front of the action on the corners.

Offline mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »
I've personally seen a 1911 stuck in a SERPA so bad that it took 4 full grown men (1 on the gun, 2 holding the holster, and one depressing the lever) to get it out. There is a video floating around somewhere. Ask RSF (on ocdo), he was the one pulling the gun.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they ever got it out, I walked away while they were still struggling with it.

I just put in an order for a gunbelt with this little leather shop up on Linden Rd., M&M Leathercraft. I should be hearing back from them any day now, I'll tell you how it goes. I went with a simple 1.5" dark brown that will be able to accept the intercanageable buckles that I currently wear on my normal belts.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
I've personally seen a 1911 stuck in a SERPA so bad that it took 4 full grown men (1 on the gun, 2 holding the holster, and one depressing the lever) to get it out. There is a video floating around somewhere. Ask RSF (on ocdo), he was the one pulling the gun.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they ever got it out, I walked away while they were still struggling with it.

I just put in an order for a gunbelt with this little leather shop up on Linden Rd., M&M Leathercraft. I should be hearing back from them any day now, I'll tell you how it goes. I went with a simple 1.5" dark brown that will be able to accept the intercanageable buckles that I currently wear on my normal belts.

I am not entirely convinced.. While I don't doubt it was stuck I want to know why. The holster is just too simple. Also as not all 1911's have the same size trigger guard I wonder if this might have contributed to the problem...
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »
While I personally use a Serpa for my XD, I'm having trouble recommending it after watching several Serpa failure videos.  I'm not sure I quite understand how their failing, but it happens from time to time.  I love mine and have had no issues with it however, I'm not sure I feel comfortable recommending it w/o that disclosure.  How terrible would it be to have a gun for self defense and have it fail on you when you needed it the most.

From the first page...

Offline mcintosh

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »
Thanks Cykes, I usually browse the boards when I have a free minute at work, and I don't often watch the videos.

Nothing in that video was set up. It was pretty interesting, at the beginning of class, Steve rounded all of us up to look at our gear. He was able to call out just about every piece of equipment that would malfunction that day before it happened based on brand alone.

I am still waiting on parts for my safariland (and a good belt) but it seems to be a more reliable system to me.

Offline Michigander

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 01:55:58 PM »
I am not a Serpa fan, but it isn't fair to bash them without an extremely thorough explanation. The military issues them, people here use them in droves, and I have never heard of the modern ones jamming, ever, aside from non specific complaints, like that video which has lots of bitching and no details.

I will continue to recommend them to people who want decent security at a cheap price, because no one at this point has presented substantiated evidence that they have any problems.

Don't get me wrong, if that video wasn't staged, I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon and help discourage Serpa's. But first I would need detailed descriptions, and at least pictures but preferably video evidence of exactly what the problem is. Short of that, it amounts to nothing more than unsubstantiated garbage. No offense intended to mcintosh or anyone else, but please show the evidence if you want to be taken seriously.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 02:09:27 PM »
RE: the vid.  I'm betting a little downward pressure on the gun would allow the button to be depressed.

Here is a vid detailing how a Serpa could fail,

That being said I still use one until I can motivate myself to make a leather retention holster.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
The one(s) I've seen from you are very nice, looking forward to your next one.

I still use and love mine, but until this is settled, I dunno, I just don't want to ever have to feel responsible if I recommend one and it does fail when needed the most :/

Offline mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »
I am not a Serpa fan, but it isn't fair to bash them without an extremely thorough explanation. The military issues them, people here use them in droves, and I have never heard of the modern ones jamming, ever, aside from non specific complaints, like that video which has lots of bitching and no details.

I will continue to recommend them to people who want decent security at a cheap price, because no one at this point has presented substantiated evidence that they have any problems.

Don't get me wrong, if that video wasn't staged, I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon and help discourage Serpa's. But first I would need detailed descriptions, and at least pictures but preferably video evidence of exactly what the problem is. Short of that, it amounts to nothing more than unsubstantiated garbage. No offense intended to mcintosh or anyone else, but please show the evidence if you want to be taken seriously.

I'm not bashing the thing, I'm just not going to recommend it to anyone I know.
I have no evidence to back the video other than the fact that I was at that class and I watched it unfold. I'm not asking that anyone believe me, just relaying my experience. As soon as the jam was reported to the instructors, they whipped out the camera to record. As far as I know, no other records of this particular event exist. It's not like there were news trucks and multiple camera crews on hand, it was a carbine training course.

I do know that MDFI (the company putting on the class), has it printed right on the website that SERPAs are not allowed in their classes. Presumably because they have witnessed them fail.

I'm not here to condemn or condone, just calling it like I've seen it.

Offline Michigander

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
Were you guys crawling around in gravel? Is it possible that it was an old one which had the failure prone retention button?

Offline CoonDog

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
Re: the Serpa, don't over-tighten the retention screw and you'll be fine.  Having said that, I'm OCing the 6287 atm and will be for the foreseeable future.
The OC movement helps gain acceptance for all forms of carry.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:21 AM »
I have a glock 19 4th Gen. I carry the blackhawk Serpa no problems.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

stainless1911

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 01:14:36 AM »
My guess is that this is a case of user error. If the adjustment screw isnt adjusted properly, you wont get the gun out. Or, as was mensioned, push the gun in, then retry.

Offline clark40

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 05:22:32 AM »

-----------------------------------
Clark
ccnp certification
USA

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »

-----------------------------------
Clark
ccnp certification
USA

Welcome to MOC!

Offline KelticKowboy

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
Update...

Today I purchased a Galco FX Suede holster for my Glock 19.  It is a black leather holster with a retention strap.  Although not cheap I figured if I am going to spend $700 on a gun why not let it ride in comfort and style.  So far it is a very comfortable holster which rides close to the body.  I would be comfortable using it for either CC or OC.
KK

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 01:13:47 PM »
Another nice idea is carrying a backup  ;D
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.