Author Topic: Seeking a good .45 hollow  (Read 11041 times)

Offline BTAvery

Seeking a good .45 hollow
« on: March 20, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
Have been having issues with my .45 hollows and issues with feeding (feed ramp already polished no effect). Looking for recommendations on a good .45 hollow with the fake metal covering so it looks like a fmj (to deal with the feeding issues). Cost isn't to much of an issue but I would rather keep for a batch of 20 under $20.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
Re: Seeking a good .45 hollow
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »
I have seen this before with some Kimber "ultra" size pistols. Remington golden saber ammo fixed the problem with feeding. Federal also has some expanding full metal jacket rounds you could look into. I have not tested them myself but there are some good reviews on line. Hope this helps. Hate to say it but its probably better to bite the bullet (couldn't help it) and buy 5 or 6 different rounds. Then take them out and give them a try. Better to find out what works now than when your life may depend on it.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
I carry the Federal EFMJ's and they feed well through my XD. I would recommend them if you can find them.

If you do find them, let me know where, I could stand another few boxes myself.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
I was having similar issues with my Kimbers. FTF, FTE, and failure to go into battery. One is an Ultra carry (3") with a ramped barrel and the other a pro carry (4") without a ramped barrel.

I tried Federal FMJ, Cor-Bon PowRball, and several others without success.

Here are what has worked flawlessly:
Golden Saber (std & +P)
Winchester T-Series (std & +P)
Hornady XTP
Federal Hydra-Shox

I now carry the Winchester T-Series 230gr +P without hesitation. I practice with them and the 230gr std loads to be certain of reliability. Cases are available online for rather reasonable prices to make it worth while to use for practice.

In my HK USP45 and my Para 1911, I have not had any ammo issues at all. So I shoot whatever in them.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:49:41 AM »
Thanks going to get some remington and winchester t series. Thanks for the recommendation

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:48:03 AM »
One more thing to consider is the magazines you are using. While I eliminated my issues by changing ammunition, some 1911 owners have found that changing to Wolf or Wilson mags has corrected there FTF issues.

Another note regarding my pistols... I have not done any modifications to them. Just experimented with various ammo types and loads.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
You will notice the golden sabre's are rounded and come closest to the shape of FMJ's.They've worked flawlessly in my Hi Point!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
Cool I'll definately have to try those then. The .45 in question is my Kimber Pro Carry just incase anyone was wondering. (1911s and those damn hollows shes feed around 800 rounds flawlessly yet still takes issue with my hollow points Winchester 45 Auto 185gr STHP)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:10:02 AM »
Ahh. So it is a Kimber after all. Probably not ammo. Cheap fix is to change springs to Wolf.

http://www.gunsprings.com/

Offline Michigander

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
As Pat mentioned also, I am a fan of XTP's. My P220 is finicky about HP ammo, but they are pointy compared to the flying ashtray type bullets, and my P220 feeds them almost as well as FMJ.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »
I run XTp's in all my 9x18 carry pistols and find them to feed the best bar none!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
Cool now I just to find a place that sells some of this.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 08:01:31 PM »
Well as expected ammo is impossible to find but I did manage to get some Remington going to the range tomorrow but the guy I talked to said that Hornady XTP is the old version now its Critical Defense. Does anyone know? (It looks like it would feed good)
He also said that the Winchester T-Series is exclusively LEO ammo and the only time it comes on the market is if a LEO orders more then he needs then sells it to a wholesaler. Is that true?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 03:05:28 AM »
Well as expected ammo is impossible to find but I did manage to get some Remington going to the range tomorrow but the guy I talked to said that Hornady XTP is the old version now its Critical Defense. Does anyone know? (It looks like it would feed good)
He also said that the Winchester T-Series is exclusively LEO ammo and the only time it comes on the market is if a LEO orders more then he needs then sells it to a wholesaler. Is that true?

If that is true about the T-Series ammo, there is an awful lot of LEOs that are buying too much and selling it to wholesalers. How many cases do you want? I can buy it online and mark it up 20% and still be 30% cheaper than that guy selling it on MGO. Or I could just tell you where to get it yourself. But you got to promise not to tell anyone else here about it because I want it all for myself.

sgammo.com

Yes, Critical Defense is the XTP in new packaging.

It is not cost effective to order in small quantities from sgammo. But once you find what works, then buy it by the case and save. Another good thing about ordering from them is that their website lists what is in stock. If it is not in stock it is not listed. No backorder bull.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »

If that is true about the T-Series ammo, there is an awful lot of LEOs that are buying too much and selling it to wholesalers. How many cases do you want? I can buy it online and mark it up 20% and still be 30% cheaper than that guy selling it on MGO. Or I could just tell you where to get it yourself. But you got to promise not to tell anyone else here about it because I want it all for myself.

sgammo.com

Yes, Critical Defense is the XTP in new packaging.

It is not cost effective to order in small quantities from sgammo. But once you find what works, then buy it by the case and save. Another good thing about ordering from them is that their website lists what is in stock. If it is not in stock it is not listed. No backorder bull.

Cool thanks for the info

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »
Went to the range my winchesters worked fine this time. (but holy crap those things kick like a round house kick from chuck norris) Bought both the 185 and 230 gr Remington (are the 230s supposed to be subsonic?) worked good even after i fired about 100 rounds of 22 powder buildup on the feed ramp and only 2 issues with first round feed and then it was a simple tap to set it forward (fired 50 rounds). Trying to find the critical defense and federal for testing this up coming weekend.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
How are you placing the first round? Snappy racking of the slide?

Or are you dropping the slide with the slide release?

Try both methods. You may find that if there is no issue going into battery by using the slide release that you are not "snappy" enough with the racking motion.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »
How are you placing the first round? Snappy racking of the slide?

Or are you dropping the slide with the slide release?

Try both methods. You may find that if there is no issue going into battery by using the slide release that you are not "snappy" enough with the racking motion.

I don't use the slide release its for an emergency situation when you only have 1 hand not to be used every time (in my opinion). I just think that the feed ramp was so filthy dirty that the round caught on it. I will say I've never had trouble with my snappyness before so I don't think it was that. But I won't rule it out. I will say that it was with the 230gr though.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »
I don't use the slide release its for an emergency situation when you only have 1 hand not to be used every time (in my opinion).

This is a concept that is quite foreign to me. Is there a rationale for this that my inexperience has limited my knowledge thereof? Will some damage result from the use of the slide release?

I seriously doubt that a bit of carbon build up is going to prevent the slide from going into battery. Especially if all it took was a little push to get it there.

If that were the case, I'd be in big trouble. I am the worst when it comes to cleaning my guns. The ones I carry on a regular basis are always dirty and full of lint. But at the same time, I do not have FTF or FTE issues.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 02:32:38 AM »
I don't use the slide release its for an emergency situation when you only have 1 hand not to be used every time (in my opinion).

This is a concept that is quite foreign to me. Is there a rationale for this that my inexperience has limited my knowledge thereof? Will some damage result from the use of the slide release?

I seriously doubt that a bit of carbon build up is going to prevent the slide from going into battery. Especially if all it took was a little push to get it there.

If that were the case, I'd be in big trouble. I am the worst when it comes to cleaning my guns. The ones I carry on a regular basis are always dirty and full of lint. But at the same time, I do not have FTF or FTE issues.

A slide release atleast with a 1911 is metal rubbing on metal never a good thing and over time will wear the metal down and you will end up with a pistol that doesn't lock open on the last round. A bit it, it was about 100 rounds of 22 lr (filthy, half was Remington even dirtier and the other half was CCI) and 75 rounds total of Winchester FMJ, Winchester 230gr STHP, and Remington 185 JHP. (the feed ramp was pitch black)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 02:56:50 AM »
Never thought of that. I always use the slide release to drop the slide. Except on my HK USP models. They go into battery, from the slide locked back condition, upon insertion of a loaded mag. I'll pay attention to this now. One more thing to worry about.

As far as your feed issues, weren't you having the occasional problem with the silver tips all along?

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »
Never thought of that. I always use the slide release to drop the slide. Except on my HK USP models. They go into battery, from the slide locked back condition, upon insertion of a loaded mag. I'll pay attention to this now. One more thing to worry about.

As far as your feed issues, weren't you having the occasional problem with the silver tips all along?
Yes I was having a feeding issue with them but I had still had quite a few so I shoot about 25 rounds and they worked perfect. I still want to try the critical defense from what people were saying about them on here and if the place has the federal might as well see if they work better.