Author Topic: Non CPL person in a car with a CPL holder question.  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Crywulf0357

Non CPL person in a car with a CPL holder question.
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
 I have a question me and a friend have been knocking around for a bit so I think its time to get a fresh opinion on it.

If I am open carrying and do not posses a CPL can I give my hand gun to my friend who is a CPL holder just before we get into the car (And I mean in a discreet manner so as not to be visible to the general public) drive to our destination then retrieve my handgun from him outside the vehicle(Again in a discreet manner) then proceed to lawfully open carry?

This came about after we discussed open carry and and traveling in a car, we have been at a loss for a solid answer. I know a CPL holder can carry more than one firearm and a firearm legally registered to another,

Per MCL 28.432, a person with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may legally possess a properly registered pistol belonging to another. The owner need not be present.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline RenegadeMarine

Re: Non CPL person in a car with a CPL holder question.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
I have a question me and a friend have been knocking around for a bit so I think its time to get a fresh opinion on it.

This came about after we discussed open carry and and traveling in a car, we have been at a loss for a solid answer. I know a CPL holder can carry more than one firearm and a firearm legally registered to another,

Per MCL 28.432, a person with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may legally possess a properly registered pistol belonging to another. The owner need not be present.

It seems as though you have answered your own question. ;)

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »
You talked about being discreet...   just be extra sure that no one, especially any soccer mom types, are around to see the 'transaction'...    I would imagine you could get jammed up from a witness saying they saw you with your gun out of the holster..     this goes for anyone open carrying and the transition to transporting...

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:01:04 AM »
   I would imagine you could get jammed up from a witness saying they saw you with your gun out of the holster..     this goes for anyone open carrying and the transition to transporting...

MCL 750.234e

750.234e Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234e.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A peace officer lawfully performing his or her duties as a peace officer.

(b) A person lawfully engaged in hunting.

(c) A person lawfully engaged in target practice.

(d) A person lawfully engaged in the sale, purchase, repair, or transfer of that firearm.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
Bronson.. you're right.. it would not be brandishing...  BUT...  you still could be harrassed, charged, arrested...         waiting a few minutes or seconds to make sure the coast is clear is a smart idea.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
Parked next to a couple of guys looking at guns inn the trunk of a car, yesterday.

They didn't get nervous when i pulled up. Nor did I.

Act natural and it won't look like anything sinister is afoot.

They din't seem surprised to see me armed when i got out of the car either.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:42:15 AM »
Act natural and it won't look like anything sinister is afoot.

Agreed.  If you look like you're trying to hide something then people will think you're trying to hide something.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine