Author Topic: New in Westland  (Read 3829 times)

Offline emcee101

New in Westland
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
New guy in Westland. Long time casual gun user, and first time owner. I just bought my first pistol last week, and am interested in OC. Also will be getting a CPL before too long. I'm interested in a better knowledge and understanding of our laws, and am looking forward to all the info on this site. Thanks guys!
"That the people have a Right to mass and to bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the Body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper natural and safe defense of a free State..."

- George Mason

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: New in Westland
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »
Welcome!

You probably know this but just in case until you get your CPL. No carry in any place that sells booze. This includes ALL SPEEDWAY GAS STATIONS as they have a corporate liquor license here in MI. so even if the station doesn't sell, a anti-OC LEO can use their "blanket" license to jam you up. Avoid Kroger, Meijers, Kmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc..you get the picture. Also be aware not to "transport" legally cased & locked firearms on any of the above properties. OC has become much more common in the last couple of years, as long as you are smart & do your homework you should be fine.

Carry on ;)!
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline emcee101

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »
Thanks Jeff,

I am aware of all the no carry zones, but I did not realize that this included anywhere with liquor sales, i thought it was just bars. Is this only if you have a CPL? are you referring to concealed carrying, or OCing? I know that a CPL allows you to OC in places where concealment is not allowed, and OC'ing is not allowed by anyone. I read an OC story on here about OC'ing in a Meijer's, so are they cool, or is the CPL required to OC? Thanks for the info/clarification, much appreciated

Matt C.
"That the people have a Right to mass and to bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the Body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper natural and safe defense of a free State..."

- George Mason

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
Just to clarify the "booze" restriction...

Firearms are prohibited on any property licensed by Liquor Control Commission.

As posted above, there doesn't have to be any liquor even on the property for firearms to be prohibited.

The exception is to those licensed by this or any other state to carry a concealed pistol.

As you were. :)
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

I am aware of all the no carry zones, but I did not realize that this included anywhere with liquor sales, i thought it was just bars.
We just want to make sure your clear it's not the liquor sales but the liquor license.

Is this only if you have a CPL? are you referring to concealed carrying, or OCing?
Yes we are referring to OC with out a CPL.

I know that a CPL allows you to OC in places where concealment is not allowed, and OC'ing is not allowed by anyone.
If you meant to say 'CC' there, you are correct.

I read an OC story on here about OC'ing in a Meijer's, so are they cool, or is the CPL required to OC?
Only with a CPL, then you can ether OC or CC.

Yes it gets complicated ;D 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:46:19 PM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New in Westland
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »
Just to clarify the "booze" restriction...

Firearms are prohibited on any property licensed by Liquor Control Commission.

As posted above, there doesn't have to be any liquor even on the property for firearms to be prohibited.

The exception is to those licensed by this or any other state to carry a concealed pistol.

As you were. :)

Pat,

You're not engaged in your usual trolling. I like this new leaf ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

I won't go over the alcohol issue, as it has been  brought up time and time again.  Read some of the older posts (or search).  If you still have questions, ask, and you'll find most people on here are amazingly friendly and helpful.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln