Author Topic: New guy From Sterling Heights  (Read 5313 times)

New guy From Sterling Heights
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:46 AM »
Hello all,

Consider me a lurker for a while, still trying to get a grip on the whole open carry thing, I thought this guys post was fantastic, and all that replied were great. http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php?topic=1123.0

I have my reservations about open carry, the things for me, what level holster should I use, to what extent do I feel I need classes for weapon retention. I have all sorts of concerns, that I will be asking, reading, lurking and ect for a bit.

Most of my conversations ( mine pro, his con ) are with an officer, he does not support OC personally, but is against anymore Goverment intervention, he wishes more CC. He prefers the element of suprise, and he is concerned with weapon retention. He is also against PFZ's, and has most likely had conversations with some of you expressing his concerns with the level holster you use.

This has turned into a Rambling, but I thought I would stop in and say hi, and return to Lurking for a bit.

Offline BTAvery

Re: New guy From Sterling Heights
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:14:01 PM »
Blackhawk CQC. It requires 2 hands if someone is trying to draw it from the front.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »
Got a Link??

I have a CQC, and I am not aware of it needing 2 hands...ever, just a push of a button.

Thank you for your response..

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:57:25 AM »
I could not find a link to this specific info, but it is y understanding if someone tries to draw from your front without pressing the button properly, the force forward instead of through a natural draw motion locks the firearm in.  It is designed to be drawn by the wearer, and exerting pressure in other directions will lock the firearm in place.  To get the button pressed and draw the weapon from the front, as in from an attacker, two hands and a sleeping victim would be needed.  As for drawing a weapon fro the CQC that you are wearing, correct, it only takes a button press.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »
I could not find a link to this specific info, but it is y understanding if someone tries to draw from your front without pressing the button properly, the force forward instead of through a natural draw motion locks the firearm in.  It is designed to be drawn by the wearer, and exerting pressure in other directions will lock the firearm in place.  To get the button pressed and draw the weapon from the front, as in from an attacker, two hands and a sleeping victim would be needed.  As for drawing a weapon fro the CQC that you are wearing, correct, it only takes a button press.
Thanks for responding to the question quicker just got back from work. You can draw it one handed from the front but it takes literally someone staying completely still any movement and your draw is screwed. I like the CQC because about the time you start drawing you can already angle your gun forward and start point shooting. Now there will be folks that say oh no not serpa because there system if you draw before you hit the button it jams the gun up well that is training whenever I do a draw I push down on my grip. Though I have not heard it here some people also say that if you get dirt or sand or something it binds it for that I point to Nutnfancy he runs serpas all the time in his "run'n'guns" yet has never had an issue with them.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
Good to know that I got the right holster, I thought it only to be like a level 1. Might need to find something like this for my Kimber..

Been reading alot here, alot of good info, hats off to you guys..

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:45 PM »
Yeah Kimber Pro Carry is my carry gun it has some wiggle in the holster but its not going to fall if I ever need it to be stealth I would put some felt in there like a few other people I know have done.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
Why doesn't anybody ever post the info about how the serpa's malfunction? I wouldn't recommend that holster to my worse enemy.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
Why doesn't anybody ever post the info about how the serpa's malfunction? I wouldn't recommend that holster to my worse enemy.
Because mines never malfunctioned, I've never seen anyone that's credible have theirs malfunction, and I've seen lots of people do shoot where there rolling around on the ground in a rocky dusty environment and not had it malfunction.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
 8) I concur, I've been wearing mine with my Glock 19 for the past two years. No problem at all. I do construction work and wear it aleast 14hours a day. Always doing some dry firing from the holster when can. That lead me to by one for my PT145, on the other side carry. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »
Because mines never malfunctioned, I've never seen anyone that's credible have theirs malfunction, and I've seen lots of people do shoot where there rolling around on the ground in a rocky dusty environment and not had it malfunction.

I have seen one fail (which is why the 3 I own are in the holster box and not my hip), they are junk in my book and I wouldn't recommend one to anybody. I am probably not credible though, because I have only been carrying a gun since 1992  ::) .

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »

I have seen one fail (which is why the 3 I own are in the holster box and not my hip), they are junk in my book and I wouldn't recommend one to anybody. I am probably not credible though, because I have only been carrying a gun since 1992  ::) .
Not saying your not credible but one malfunction in what I assume is going to be approx 8 years (I don't know how old they are), Its all about weighing odds assuming the number of draws to malfunction ratio your holster performs better than the most reliable bolt action rifle. Its all about odds nothing is going to work 100% of the time it just won't. A glock malfunctions a 1911 malfunctions an AK-47 malfunctions.