Author Topic: A Question  (Read 7509 times)

Offline Huxley

A Question
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
I have been supporting open carry for a while but have not done it yet.  I cc just to clarify.
I was really into the thought of open carry but after an episode that happened tonight I question it.
As you are all well aware, PERCEPTION is reality...
Tonight I was out shopping and talking to a sales person about the police situation in our area.  The sales person is a retired LEO.
A person who was open carrying interjected and without even totally knowing what the conversation, that he was NO part in interupted and talked negatively about LEOs.
I have my problems with LEO's but they do have a job to do.  Anyways.
As this person was walking away, they made sure that we saw that he had a gun and seemed disapointed that we didn't react.
The sales person then said that this person frequented the establishment and put open carry in a bad light.
We need, and have been doing a great job, to make open carry a positive thing in the public eyes and remember that by being out in the open, You are in a spot light.
This will not deter me from OC but I will be more aware of my actions and attitude while doing so.

Sorry if this is out there, I just needed to vent and get some feedback.

Offline northofnowhere

Re: A Question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
OC is a difficult concept for the public in general to grasp.  While most members of MOC, OCDO, and most people who Open Carry do so responsibly and politely, there are those, in any group or class of people who give all the others a bad rap.  It is unfortunate when this happens that it is done with something so serious as a firearm, but it does happen.  I live in the way north of the way Upper Peninsula and it even happens here, every week. 

I carry to protect my family, self, and community.  I open carry in an effort to show those around me that they have nothing to fear from responsible gun owners.  I take both of those responsibilities serious and hope my attitude, speech, and interactions with all those around me reflect my goals.  That open carrier it appears was giving all LEO's a bad rap based on the actions of a few over zealous LEO's, very much like some in the public will give all OCer's a bad rap based on his actions.

-north.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
A Question
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Your effort to educate is noble, but at the end of the day I can only control myself, likewise with yourself.

Thanks for the story/feedback.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline emt805

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
What was the question?

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »
Anyone who thinks that open carry is bad because of one rude person isn't really able to think very critically I guess...       JUst because one cop is bad, do you then judge them all?  Not likely. 

Thanks for the feedback though.   I'm glad you're still considering OC.

Offline Huxley

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
I guess the question is why would you act that way if you were trying to represent something that is, for the most part controversial?
My problem with this particular situation is that open carry needs the support of LEO's...and to publicly talk bad about them negatively as a whole while representing a cause is a pretty stupid thing to do.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
There are stupid people in every walk of life.... just how it is.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:54:34 AM »
I guess the question is why would you act that way if you were trying to represent something that is, for the most part controversial?

Some people who OC do not feel that they are representing anything but themselves.  There are those of us who feel that the simple act of carrying a firearm means we are held to a higher standard of behavior, politeness, and manners....not everybody feels that way.

Does the behavior of a single Ford driver represent all other Ford drivers?
Does the behavior of a single Catholic represent all other Catholics?
Does one rude white guy mean all white guys are rude?

Bronson
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:57:10 AM by Bronson »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:15:49 AM »
I have been supporting open carry for a while but have not done it yet.  I cc just to clarify.
I was really into the thought of open carry but after an episode that happened tonight I question it.
As you are all well aware, PERCEPTION is reality...
Tonight I was out shopping and talking to a sales person about the police situation in our area.  The sales person is a retired LEO.
A person who was open carrying interjected and without even totally knowing what the conversation, that he was NO part in interupted and talked negatively about LEOs.
I have my problems with LEO's but they do have a job to do.  Anyways.
As this person was walking away, they made sure that we saw that he had a gun and seemed disapointed that we didn't react.
The sales person then said that this person frequented the establishment and put open carry in a bad light.
We need, and have been doing a great job, to make open carry a positive thing in the public eyes and remember that by being out in the open, You are in a spot light.
This will not deter me from OC but I will be more aware of my actions and attitude while doing so.

Sorry if this is out there, I just needed to vent and get some feedback.

Where abouts were you shopping? Can you tell us the location,and maybe a discription of the Open Carrier? Like younger or Older, method of carry,OWB holster.Drop leg etc..

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
Where abouts were you shopping? Can you tell us the location,and maybe a discription of the Open Carrier? Like younger or Older, method of carry,OWB holster.Drop leg etc..

I am thinking GLC?

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »

I am thinking GLC?
I was thinking the same, Im not trying to single anyone out  ;),Im sure there are lots of attention seeking anti social types trolling around in that store with a Drop leg rig on.

Offline Huxley

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
Yes.  GLC.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »
I kinda figured it wasn't a new anti social type...... ::)
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Huxley

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
So there is a history...
Answers my question.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »
IF it is the same person... well yeah a history..

Like I said there will always be stupid people.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
Yes.  GLC.

High Carbon Steel 1911.

He's got a huge following over at OCDO.

I'm surprised he doesn't post here anymore. I'm interested in getting a copy of the prints and plans he has for the single wide indoor range. My friend Wardog just got himself a new abode and is interested in an indoor range too. :o
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »
sorry for being slow... but what is GLC?

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »
Great Lakes Crossings mall.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline METL

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
That's what I initially thought... but after more posts, I thought perhaps they were referring to a type of gun or something...

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »
Not that it really matters, but IF we are talking about the same guy..drop leg holster at GLC...he enjoys the status as only person ever kicked out of MOC. Again, not that it matters...