Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 399156 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
Ended up going to Dunhams in St. Johns of course I was OCing. I talked with several employees... no issues or comments.

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »
One final OC exsperience for today in St. Johns. . OCed at Wendys for supper. No Issues.

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline emt805

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »
Tue 3-08
Started by Ocing into my local credit union due to their atm being out of service, then went to King of Queens 865 W Eisenhower Pky Ann Arbor for lunch, The owner was friendly and asked a few questions about oc and liked the fact that I was there and my pistol was exposed. We spend 30-45 minutes here.

After lunch we headed to Lansing for the cadl event but had to disarm during the case. About 20-25 of us went to dinner at cottage inn pizza, One of the guys behing the counter had a few questions and stated he felt safe with all of us there.

Yesterday OCed at dunham's in Clinton twp, spoke with a salesperson about their prices and his firearm collection. He asked what I was carrying and said he has heard about open carry laws and dunham's would not allow him to carry, I handed him a tri-fold and directed him to the site.

Later oced at taco bell on ellsworth in Ypsi.

Offline Master Control

• MOC Charter Member Augusta, MI.
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
March 15, 2011
OCed at BP Gas Station on Northline rd. in Southgate., The Unified Credit Union & KB Barber Shop in Belleville. Then over to Walmart, Meijer, Sprint, Feed Rite Pet Shop, KFC & the Smoke Shop in Van Buren twp. later that evening White Castle in Taylor. & Speedway gas in Ypsilanti, on rawsonville rd. No problems / No issues.
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be

Offline emt805

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2011, 03:56:26 AM »
Just saw another person OCing for the first time at a none oc organized event at denny's in ypsi on wastenaw while eating breakfast. He was wearing a long sleeve green shirt and black Detroit baseball cap

Offline Master Control

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »
last couple days
03/16/11
OC'ed on foot while doing a lil' shopping Harper/ Whittier / Cadieux area in Detroit, Family Dollar, B&B barber supply, Del Point grocery store, Mobile station, RiteAid.
Then on the way to OC Dinner stopped at Sunoco Station on gratiot in eastpointe, While OC'ing at National Coney island the gentleman sitting next to the register with the portable oxygen tank asked "are you practicing the new Open Carry law with that Open Carry group over there?".
I replied "Nope, Open Carry is not something that I practice nor is it a new law, my style of self defense is something I've been doing yrs before I ever heard of Michigan Open Carry, but you are correct that I'm a member of that group. He then responded with "so your exercising your right then, huh?" I informed the gentleman that I exercise all my rights daily which one are you referring to?
He replied with "yeah, ok I get it, so before the new law have you ever been stopped by the police for carrying a gun? I told him that I have been blessed (knock on wood) that I have never had a bad interaction or detainment by a LEO & most people unless I'm with a group never seem to notice my sidearm or seem to care. He then shared his thoughts on Open Carry and that he thought it was dangerous.
I explained to him my personal preferences to OC vs. CC (ie: weather, ease of sidearm access, victim selection, etc.) , He then said he had never thought of it that way, well I guess nobody will probably try to rob this place. he seemed very interested in knowing more about Open Carry, we talked for about ten mins. and even after I excused myself, he followed me into the men's room still asking questions where after a couple more question I excused him and went back to the group.

No problems, no issues

03/17/11
OC'ed at the shrimp hut in Ecorse, Blue Jays party store in SW Detroit, Sprint in Lincoln Park, Advance auto parts in Allen Park, Best Buy in Taylor, BP Gas station on Northline in Southgate.

No dirty looks, no questions, no issues, no problem
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »
 :) OC'd at Auto Zone in Southwest Detroit, on Livernois then had to go to their Vernor St. one. They did not have what i wanted so i was told to go to the one on the Northwest side before i got what i wanted. No hard lookers or sayers. Stopped at a Valero Gas Station for gas, an older man wanted to know about OC. We talked for 10 mins. He told me and showed me he was CC'ing. People were standing around listening, but no problems. Great Carry. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
I semi-oc'd today.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Master Control

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »
OC'ed at SOS in Taylor, Meijer in Lincoln Park, Real Bar-b-que (on Dix)in Lincoln Park, Mobil gas (Fort & Outer DR.) in South-Southwest Detroit, Pro-Hardware in Belleville (Main St.)Walmart, Sprint store & O'reillys in Van Buren Twp., Home Depot & Sprint (Michigan Ave)in Canton, Wirless Toys in Ypsilanti, Masonic Hall in Detroit (on Wyoming St.) BP Gas Station in Dearborn ($3.37 a gal.) on Wyoming & Warren. AND back to O'reillys to get my battery core deposit ($12.00) they keep the tax. lol

No problems, no issues.

Carry On

,,, So Mote Be

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2011, 12:51:38 AM »
I semi-oc'd everywhere I went today.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Eurotour

« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
How do you semi-OC...?

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
I would like to know also. I wrote about a stop i had here in Detroit. I had a IBW holster with the shirt tucked in where u can see it plain and clear. I asked the officer if some called 911 and said man with gun walking down street. And you pulled up with guns drawn and said don't touch that gun. Then how in the world can it be half concealed and half open. It's one or the other. But like everyone here say its a gray area.  8) what?. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »
ocdetroit,

I believe you will find everyone here will completely agree with you, if it is clearly a pistol, it is clearly not concealed.  I also believe everyone here, myself included, will say that the anti's and LEO's who are out to get you will not use common sense and will use the IWB to say it is not open carry.  Yes, common sense says an IWB is open carry, but our laws, legislators, LEO's, and Judges clearly do not enforce common sense, they only enforce that guns are evil and they will do whatever they can to trip you up.  I should point out they are in the minority, there are plenty of good folks in those roles, but there are enough bad apples on the tree of justice that I would strongly recommend staying away from IWB holsters.

-northofnowhere
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
When I was "stopped" for OC in GR on New Year's Eve, the officer told me my g23 was "partially concealed". I asked what he meant and he said that the holster I was wearing partially concealed the pistol. I called BS on that, and the issue was immediately dropped. Don't fall for this type of harassment. The officer knew the law and was trying to see if I did.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »
I oc'd last week at the Secretary Of State last week. Not a problem. Got tons of stares though :) I also oc'd in Staples. The clerk asked a few questions about whether I get much harassment about carrying. I responded that all my experiences have been positive. 
 Also carried in Walmart, Kroger, Meijer, Shell gas station and all over God's creation...No problemos! Havin lots of fun!
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
I need to start posting here more often.  I normally post these over at OCDO but the nice gentleman I talked to, Gary I believe his name was, at the Kalamazoo Meet & Eat said he only reads the MOC board and I realized there may be others that do the same. So...

OCed in the Kalamazoo IHOP as I do every week. Completely different staff than is normally there and still no issues, even though I was sitting strong side out and the parking lot was full of cars with "Obama '08" bumper stickers and the restaurant was full of college kids.

Nobody cares.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
First time truly OCing tonight.  Been CCing since I got my permit every day, but first time out in public OCing.  Went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse in Chesterfield, then ran a few errands.  Not even a second glance from anyone other than our server at dinner, and he didn't say a word.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »
How do you semi-OC...?

With Pat.....ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE :P

OT --> 100% OC around the homestead (little under the weather today) :(
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Bronson

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »
Uneventfully OCed at Apple Core Cafe in Battle Creek.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »
How do you semi-OC...?

Mexican.

It is my preferred mode of carry. I find it both comfortable and convenient.

I do it everywhere that expressed open carry is NOT required.