Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 413120 times)

Offline Yosemite Sam

Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
Oced in McDonald's and Edward R Jones in West Branch. NO Problems!! The way it Should Be !! Handed out some Tri-Folds also.

Offline TheSzerdi

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:30 PM »
Lately I've OC'd at CVS in Melvindale, Meijer in Allen Park, Smoky's Tobacco in Allen Park, Bright Power Sports in Lincoln Park, and a Sunoco on the corner of Racho and Sibley. No issues.

Offline METL

« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »
OC'd all over inside my house today...   forgot it was there a few times...     no strange looks from my cat...  no comments from any of the fish...   :)

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
You don't have a dog, do you?... I have been ocing everywhere I go with the exception of work. Tru Value, Walmart, Meijer, Shell gas station, Kroger, VG's, and down the sidewalk... No problemo. The occasional "don't shoot me" but all is well!
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline dlgeorge

« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »
Open carried in Kroger in Toledo, Ohio.  (I live in Michigan, but very close to Toledo).  I shopped for about 15 minutes,  went to the self check out and was approached by a man who asked me if I was LE.  I told him no, and he asked me why I was carrying my gun "openly".  I said because there is no law against it.  I know, I should have said first: for personal protection, but anyway,  he said he was just with a sherrif's deputy at another Kroger and was told you had to conceal it.  I set him straight on the Ohio law and said with my CPL I CAN conceal, but I don't have to. 

I don't know if he was just a customer, or the store detective as he was not in any security uniform.  To make a long story short, I told him I wasn't breaking any laws.  He said thank you and I finished checking out and left.  No other issue.

Offline emt805

« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
OCed sat for a few hours at the Lenawee county farigrounds, then over to Aldi in Adrian. At least two employees looked down and noticed me carrying and continued about their work nothing unusual.

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »
OC'd all day helping a buddy move yesterday.  Multiple trips, stopped for lunch, snacks, and fuel, and hit the hardware store, and no one said anything.  I think a few people noticed in Dairy Queen at lunchtime, but no one said anything.

All in all a good (if tiring) day!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline METL

« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »
OC'd first time...  on the way home from the pizza lunch..  Lowe's...    looking for a couple items...    talked with a couple employees to locate items... one guy MAY have noticed, but said nothing and continued with his work after I walked away... I looked back to see if he was looking, but he was not.  THen I checked out with platnum blonde hottie who was joking about how crazy the other cashier (the self serve one) is and to never check out with her...   said it loudly to rib the other lady...  lots of other employees right up near the customer service desk. 

No stares... no comments...   uneventful...     as it should be.   

I was surprisingly unnervous... though I found myself being VERY aware of my sidearm...  not like at home when I can forget it is there and bump into stuff...

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »
You should always be aware of it being there.

At the same time, it should be as natural as wearing pants. Nobody ever notices that.

Only on the rare occassion does anyone ever pay attention or notice my pistol. The people in banks don't even say jack.

I only get the very infrequent "Your gun is showing". To that I generally say "thank you" and go about my business.

Oc'd (Mexican) all over yesterday and today. Too many places to list.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
Yeah, I meant that as a GOOD thing...   I was commenting that at home I can be a little 'too relaxed' about it... but it's a different world out in the... uhhh...    world... 

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »
went to cleveland this weekend but did NOT OC just CC. wasn't well versed enough in ohio law in case i was challenged by LEO. should have researched it a little. talked with my 2 nephews who both have CC permits in ohio and they both said even tho OC legal it is just not done according to them. their CC laws are screwy enough. they said if CC in a car it must be in a holster on your hip plainly visible (which sounds like OC/CC in vehicle here) or in a compartment or bag that requires an additional step to access (zip bag or locked console). i stood there in both of their driveways with my jaw hanging open listening to this. i threw in a couple of "you gotta be &*%##@ kiddin' me". i pointed out that michigan OCers OC in ohio and haven't heard any negative encounters. they both said OC is so screwy there they wouldn't even think of trying it. couldn't change their minds. they said they would try it up here tho with me. ohio newspapers also publish CPL holders names regularly too. saw several 'no weapons" signs on businesses too. as soon as i crossed the state line back in michigan i switched back from CC to OC. i should have kissed the ground. was like returning from communist russia before the wall fell.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
Unlike Michigan, Ohio "No Gun" signs have criminal penalties for violating them.

Ohio laws have no "extra step" provisions specificially delineated.

The "in plain view" carry in vehicles was repealed at the same time that rest stops were exempted from the "No Gun" signs.

OC in Ohio is as common as in Michigan. There are some very specific statutes that restrict where firearm possession is permited.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline kryptonian

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
just going off of what i was told by my nephews and hadn't researched ohio laws prior to going so i couldn't effectively defend a law enforcement challenge. next time i will be prepared.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »
Out and about in Battle Creek today.

OCed in:
Citgo station on Michigan Ave
Wood Bros. Automotive
Turner Veterinary Clinic
West Columbia 7 movie theater
Meijer on Columbia

No problems, second looks, or issues.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline kryptonian

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
speedway this morning OC. young guy behind me in line "what's with the gun?" i said "state of michigan allows citizens to openly arm themselves". he said "yeah i know that. why do you have it?" my response of course was "for self defense and protection" -  he again "yeah i know that. defense and protection from who?"..my answer.."anybody"..he just said "oh". this launched a customer OC seminar in line. old guy at register asked the permit question which i handled. i explained quickly about in vehicle and alcohol permit locations. big woman in line said she heard about OC but didn't know all that. did what i could to educate before i paid and left.

Offline kc8swy

• MOC Member
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »
I had lunch at Crane's Pie Pantry downtown Holland with the GF.  Afterward, we went to Lakeshore Cycle (bicycle shop) to look at Trikes, and to Meijer's on Riley for groceries.  Uneventful.  There were 2 Ottawa County Sheriff's parked in different parts of the parking lot when we came out.

Offline kryptonian

« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
ok...same speedway i posted on earlier..different stort today..was waiting in line with my usual stuff. big guy not an employee but a vendor not a customer passes by and says "would be a shame if someone took that gun from you" - my response "yeah it would but it wouldn't happen". he then asks,  "do you have a CPL?". i said "yes i do". his response was "if you have one then you need to conceal it". i said, "actually no you don't. i know the law WELL and what you just said is legally inaccurate. believe me i know". he then said, "i just took a class and our instructor said that is the law". I said "he lied to you then". he shook his head and walked away. this was a very public exchange in front of a dozen people. drove away just shaking my head. how do you fight that? i said what you are supposed to in that situation and still didn't sway ignorance. no i didn't have any trifolds or printouts of MSP update to give him. any input??

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2011, 11:53:38 PM »
In this case since the guy said that he had taken the class, if he got his CPL you could refer him to the reverse side of his license where it states the "This license allows the licensee to carry a pistol on or about his person..." never says you have to cc. Without literature, that is at least something.

God bless America and the ignorant, patiently educate those who are stupid on purpose, and expose the liars.

Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2011, 03:01:18 AM »
any input??

Give him your email address and tell him that when he finds the laws that require you to conceal to send you the link and you'll send him $20.00.

Also, ask for the name and contact info of his CPL instructor.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline kryptonian

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »
any input??

Give him your email address and tell him that when he finds the laws that require you to conceal to send you the link and you'll send him $20.00.

Also, ask for the name and contact info of his CPL instructor.

Bronson

i've been going to that same speedway almost every day for a year OC and will probably run into him again. he was a vendor. he appeared to be one of those people who HAS to be right and felt the need to "inform" me of his newfound knowledge although wrong. my guess is he wouldn't take being proven wrong well and it would take a public scene with me on the offensive to confront him and challenge his glaring legal misinformation. he walked away when told he was lied to. it bothers me that this guy and probably others will be carrying with misinformation leading me to believe that if they are that easily lead than a shooting incident by them that might turn out to be legally unjustified will make us all look bad.