Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 390939 times)

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »

Im not sure,all ive ever had there is tacos(which are very good for the price) and a coney dog once,and water,im not even sure what they have to drink!

Me and the Chief Of Police have talked over the phone a few times,as well as in person,but never while i was carrying a firearm.

Im out here until the weekend if you wanna get together for a bit.

I carried for another walk this evening,ended up chattin with a few guys i know at the Vernon FD(been thinkin of relocating here and signing up with them,many are family and personal friends) when the storm came in and they went out on a down power lines call across town.
No issues or comments,and now im talking with one of them online about helping add in some lights to his POV

Tommorow my plans consist of a walk from Vernon to Durand,then around town for awhile and then a walk back to Vernon,i also expect no problems.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 01:31:09 AM »
I just took a stroll up to the local CVS to grab some drinks; (pop not  beer) only thing open in may area this time of the morning.  I was standing out front talking to someone when a DPS Officer pulled into the lot with as they where walking into the store the female, young girl looked to be a cadet or police explorer on a ride along program.

Her eyes went straight to my sidearm and she right away asked if I could do that and his response was yes because hes openly carrying.  When they exited I handed her a tri-fold and said heres some information for you.

That was it; the DPS Officer didn't seem to care either way. 
The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
thats great!

put the proper mindset into a LEO right from the start!

Right now im sittin at the Durand library,no issues,had one guy next to me keep staring at me,but i think it was at ME and not what i am wearing... :o boy im glad he left.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
awe, was he coming on to you?   ;)
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
I dont want to think about it...

sleeveless shirt,shorts so short his shirt went lower than they did,and flip flops

No issues the entire day though,after i left the library i walked around a bit,and to the farmers market.
then back to Vernon

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »
I oc'd at Parshallville cider mill which is just outside of Fenton and before Hartland. My wife and I went for the hot cider and donuts. The usual stares as we walked up to the entrance, are always available. It's like they have radar to my holster or mag. As we stood in line to get to the order counter, two different groups of families entered and took their position behind us. Here's the oddity, they stood there for less than two to four minutes and then they left to go outside. They had preteens and younger with them and I'm guessing that my firearm made them want to remove themselves from the close proximity. I'm speculating as to the cause of their abrupt departure. When we left the building the owner was outside, across the street watching, and as i made eye contact, he looked away. We took a picnic bench and enjoyed the cider as well as the bees. It's exhilarating to exercise your 2nd Amendment right, as well as Art. 1, Sec. 6 of the Mich. Constitution, when everyone around you thinks it's such a dangerous, foreign notion. 

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 01:03:43 AM »
OCed at the Panel Room in Hartford for both breakfast and lunch. OCed between times out on I94 near the Hartford interchange picking up litter for adopt a highway! No issues
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
I oc'd at Parshallville cider mill which is just outside of Fenton and before Hartland. My wife and I went for the hot cider and donuts. The usual stares as we walked up to the entrance, are always available. It's like they have radar to my holster or mag. As we stood in line to get to the order counter, two different groups of families entered and took their position behind us. Here's the oddity, they stood there for less than two to four minutes and then they left to go outside. They had preteens and younger with them and I'm guessing that my firearm made them want to remove themselves from the close proximity. I'm speculating as to the cause of their abrupt departure. When we left the building the owner was outside, across the street watching, and as i made eye contact, he looked away. We took a picnic bench and enjoyed the cider as well as the bees. It's exhilarating to exercise your 2nd Amendment right, as well as Art. 1, Sec. 6 of the Mich. Constitution, when everyone around you thinks it's such a dangerous, foreign notion. 

i've had that occur too. you want to say something reassuring. sometimes the kids blurt out "hey he's got a gun" seeing it before the parents. i've seen the parents make up a flimsy excuse to get out of line. i have a gay friend and she noted the same thing about her and her girlfriend in public. when parents take their kids out into the public eventually they are going to run into something that will make them educate their children about society. i've seen parents tell their kids to lock their car doors when minorities walk by. these early prejudices carry into adulthood. this is where it starts. i was a police officer in texas and would hear parents tell their children to behave or that policeman will put you in jail. this plants a fear of police and when that child is in trouble or a victim and needs help they won't go to the police. OC out in public also serves to mainstream this and makes it more commonplace. i've had tons more families get behind me in line and stay there than the over reactors. i've had parents come up to me and say "my son has a question for you". that i like.

i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline emt805

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
Finally popped my oc cherry this afternoon. First stop walmart in Madison, MI I did not notice and stares or double takes but I must say I had the best customer service in the electronics dept (I was looking for a wireless clip on mic for my audio recorder) there was a Lenawee deputy sheriff talking to someone 5 feet away on his way out I saw up slow down and glance at my side and he was on his way I checked out and was on my way. Next stop Papa Johns to pick up dinner a quick in & out maybe 5 people all together inside. Final stop was at speedway to fuel up, paid at the pump. Uneventful first day no odd looks no one telling their kids to stay away and not one screaming GUN. Just a normal day the way it should be every day.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
Congrats, that's how it is most of the time.  I get very few questions anymore.  

I OC'd the other day around the house, while the ATT Uverse guy spent 4 hours in/around my house, with me watching him install the service/lines, and he didn't even ask a single question about my OC gun.  He asked about my ridiculous computer setup, and my brothers motorcycles, but not a single word about my weapon or the spare clips.

I popped my CC cherry today.   :-\

Only because it was finally cold enough to put a light jacket on and cover my OWB Serpa.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:01:18 AM by fozzy71 »

Offline kryptonian

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 11:49:21 PM »
OC on my way to work and stopped at speedway. i got a liter dr. pepper and one of those tornado rolled up things. when the cashier rang it up she said $3.57 - i said no.. it's a 9mm. a few chuckles in customer line. if you want to recreate the joke go to speedway and buy those.

can't carry at all at work. i stopped at taco bell to get food to go when i got back to the building from my deliveries. i go inside to order..hate drive-thru. there is an armed brink's guard inside getting cash and armored truck outside. had i been OC wonder how that would play out. anyway on his way out he stops at cash register and orders food. he pays while setting down his money bags right by me. not sure what their procedure is but seemed full of protocol errors. he could have put it in truck and came back in. don't know but that could put me in harms way UNARMED if somebody made a try for it. nothing happened and i went back to work. just seemed odd. 

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 01:55:37 AM »
/snip/ ... on his way out he stops at cash register and orders food. he pays while setting down his money bags right by me. not sure what their procedure is but seemed full of protocol errors. /snip/ ...

Your right it is full of errors; if Brinks had caught him doing that he would be standing in the unemployment line with the lunch break guys from Jeep!

The SOP is never put down the hoppers; never stop for any reason when carrying them, never carry them on your string side (that is the same side as your sidearm; that hand must remain empty at all times).  THe last one the majority of them break.   
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 02:07:08 PM »
Love the tri-folds;

I've printed out a few & keep them with me while out and about.  A little while ago I stopped at a local store; one that I have OC'd at many times with out issue.

Not this time!

An employee; whom I've never seen before came over and demanded to see my CPL; I just laughed at first and then he very coldly told me has had has his for 30 years and raised his shirt to display Glock. 

I explained to him that a CPL was not needed to Open Carry in Michigan at first he was adamant that one did need a CPL to carry a pistol period until I gave him the copy of the tri-fold I kept in my wallet for just such an occasion.

He looked it over and after we spoke for about another 10 minuets I seemed to have taught him something new.  He said this was the first he had heard about Open Carry and he would visit the site for more information and would start to OC himself! 

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
I'll never understand these people whose default response is 'rude' rather than 'inquisitive'

And I have OCed past armored car guys before... I didn't have a problem but your experience may vary.

Offline emt805

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 10:59:28 PM »
Another Day of oc, Started at walmart in Saline to pick up some rounds to shoot at the range, upon leaving walmart a truck made an illegal left turn out of walmart (them crazy one way annoying things would stop that I assumed but guess not) and ran into a car on 12 sending it across 3 lanes to the grass on the front of the gass station across the street. Having my Emergency Medical Tech license I grabbed my medical kit from my truck and climbed into the back seat of the car to control C-Spine of the driver, When the first leo showed up he opened the passenger door and I disclosed I had a firearm on my him he replied with "ok" seeing that my hands were fixed on C-spine, after ems took over I walked past another two leo's with not words said. Went down to the firing line in Westland shot about 150 rounds while there. Next went to culver's on Belleville rd off of 94 then filled up with gas at the circle K across from sams club on 12 east of saline paid at the pump. Another great day of oc with no issues or even anyone asking about oc.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 08:18:08 AM »
OCed yesterday afternoon for an hour and a half at Caffe Tosi in St Joseph while working on the gun club website with another member. OCed at Walmart in South Haven for 45 min while dealing with Customer Service and then getting a new watch battery. OCed at the South Haven Wendy's for dinner.

No issues anywhere.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
Another Day of oc, Started at walmart in Saline to pick up some rounds to shoot at the range, upon leaving walmart a truck made an illegal left turn out of walmart (them crazy one way annoying things would stop that I assumed but guess not) and ran into a car on 12 sending it across 3 lanes to the grass on the front of the gass station across the street. Having my Emergency Medical Tech license I grabbed my medical kit from my truck and climbed into the back seat of the car to control C-Spine of the driver, When the first leo showed up he opened the passenger door and I disclosed I had a firearm on my him he replied with "ok" seeing that my hands were fixed on C-spine, after ems took over I walked past another two leo's with not words said. Went down to the firing line in Westland shot about 150 rounds while there. Next went to culver's on Belleville rd off of 94 then filled up with gas at the circle K across from sams club on 12 east of saline paid at the pump. Another great day of oc with no issues or even anyone asking about oc.

Well... doesn't sound like a 'great' day,  ???
But good on you for the quick reaction. Might've saved that guy serious injury or his life.

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
This is a little late but something I remembered about while I was OCing at the RenFest...

This guy walked up next to me with this barbarian outfit on, a big sword and this scary ass leather mask.

I was like "I take it you're not to be [expletive, synonym for *messed*] with?"

He laughed and made a similar joke about my XD... can't remember now what it was but... made me chuckle.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
OC on my way to work and stopped at speedway. i got a liter dr. pepper and one of those tornado rolled up things. when the cashier rang it up she said $3.57 - i said no.. it's a 9mm. a few chuckles in customer line. if you want to recreate the joke go to speedway and buy those.

can't carry at all at work. i stopped at taco bell to get food to go when i got back to the building from my deliveries. i go inside to order..hate drive-thru. there is an armed brink's guard inside getting cash and armored truck outside. had i been OC wonder how that would play out. anyway on his way out he stops at cash register and orders food. he pays while setting down his money bags right by me. not sure what their procedure is but seemed full of protocol errors. he could have put it in truck and came back in. don't know but that could put me in harms way UNARMED if somebody made a try for it. nothing happened and i went back to work. just seemed odd. 

They have gone to hell in a hand basket as a company overall & like other outfits have resorted to pinching pennies on staff. He doesn't care because he's making $10 an hour & being worked like a dog most likely. What you described was a HUGE protocol breach in the past. But in the past they ran with 3 man crews; driver, guard, & messenger (all CPL holders & armed to the teeth). My contacts tell me that now often, the driver is unarmed due to some "issues" in past or other delays. So basically the guy you saw was probably, under paid, poorly trained, and completely demoralized, which leads to a "F" it attitude from some in the industry.  :'(
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline kryptonian

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »

They have gone to hell in a hand basket as a company overall & like other outfits have resorted to pinching pennies on staff. He doesn't care because he's making $10 an hour & being worked like a dog most likely. What you described was a HUGE protocol breach in the past. But in the past they ran with 3 man crews; driver, guard, & messenger (all CPL holders & armed to the teeth). My contacts tell me that now often, the driver is unarmed due to some "issues" in past or other delays. So basically the guy you saw was probably, under paid, poorly trained, and completely demoralized, which leads to a "F" it attitude from some in the industry.  :'(

the old saying is still true - you get what you pay for. when you go cheap on labor you open yourselves up to internal theft. guess which group has stolen more money from armored cars - armed robbers or armed employees.