Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393229 times)

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
Has anyone else had any issues at the Meijer’s at 13000 Middlebelt Rd, Livonia?  I stopped in a little while ago to do some shopping and spent about 45 minuets in the store while OC and didn’t have any issues. 

At first!

The store manager walked past me a few times as well as their loss prevention guard; they looked but neither said a thing.

That was until I made it to the register and started to check out; they both come up behind me and grabbed me by the shoulders; one on each side, and claimed they had a complaint and that I had to cover my weapon or leave the store at once. 

Now keep in mind I just finished transporting a fugitive and stopped there on my way home.  I was still wearing a shirt that has the words ‘BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT’ in three inch tall gold letters on the back and a 7 point star Bail Enforcement Agent badge screen printed on the front, and had on my bat belt with all the bells and whistles.

Anyway I explained that is was legal to openly carry a firearm and they proceeded to demand to see me CCW and again told me to cover my pistol or leave.  I again advised that OC was legal and explained that it was obvious I was on my way out to door as I was at the register so they played the Private Property card and again told me I had to go put my weapon in my car if I wanted to finish my visit at the store.

Reluctantly I complied because I didn’t want to go some where else and waste more time re-shopping.  As I walked out the door a Livonia Police Car was sitting there and the LP guard followed me out and went right to the cruiser and pointed at me as he was talking to the officer.

I cleared my weapon and locked it in my trunk and returned to pay for my shopping, as I walked back into the store I double checked for a sign prohibiting weapons in the store and again found none.  When I returned to my cart the manager was standing with it and I asked him where their signage was prohibiting firearms was and received a blank stare in reply.

I was expecting to get pulled over by LPD as I was leaving; the LP guard watched me load my groceries into my car and as I drove off he was pointing rather aggressively at my car as if he was telling the Officer Look there he goes!

I kept an eye on my mirror the whole time and not a single Police vehicle followed me out.  I don’t know if the store called the Police or the Officer just happened to be there when I walked out the first time so I’m debating on filing for the FOIA with Livonia if nothing more the out of curiosity. 

Anyone have any idea what they charge to fulfill the FOIA?

The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline TheSzerdi

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 01:30:44 AM »
Just got home from grocery shopping at Meijer in Allen Park. On my way back to my van with a cart full of stuff three Allen Park squad cars rolled up. I was crossing through the lot with my strong side toward them and they immediately started following me. As I reached my van they parked behind me and started getting out. Asked if I was OC'ing and said they had gotten a call. Asked for ID and I told them I'd prefer not to give it. Asked how I was going to transport and I told 'em I have a CPL. I thought about it for a second, then said something like, "I guess I'll show you my CPL instead of making you pull me over and cause us both a hassle." Officers were polite and everyone went on their way.

I believe they really did get a call, although I didn't notice anyone acting funny in the store. I was surprised since I go there about twice a week and have never had a call before. Anyway, thank you Allen Park PD for being polite and professional!

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »
...I have noticed a 'second wave' of police interference with OCers beginning to manifest itself.
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
long armed(well,michigan pistol'd) in presque isle county a few miles south of onaway for small game hunting, nobody got scared or called leo's that i know of.a dnr conservation officer checked me for permits and bag limit,and a county officer the next day asked how my luck was hunting,turns out it was the same county leo that helped me out of the woods last year when my compass broke,via his vehicle horn and me firing shots. im glad i finally got to thank him.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
finally happened - i ran into another OCer. i was leaving new hudson walmart and he was entering with an unarmed friend. said "hey open carry" pointing to my sig. got a "yeah" from him but that was about it as he kept walking. young tall guy. would like to have chatted but he kept going. thought i was holding up this whole end of the county myself.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 12:39:50 AM »
Me and TheQ went for a walk in downtown Lansing tonight after the MOC teamspeak thing was over.

No issues,chatted up with a cabbie friend of ours for a bit. a Lansing LEO came across the scanners saying there were "two open carry SUBJECTS"(i took offense to the subjects thing)in the area,no physical descriptions were made nor did any LEO's stop or follow us.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline longk

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
Has anyone had any oc issues in detriot?   longk

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2010, 11:59:09 PM »
None that im aware of,theres a guy that rides a bicycle in detroit while OC practically daily,with no issues.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »
Me and TheQ went for a walk in downtown Lansing tonight after the MOC teamspeak thing was over.

No issues,chatted up with a cabbie friend of ours for a bit. a Lansing LEO came across the scanners saying there were "two open carry SUBJECTS"(i took offense to the subjects thing)in the area,no physical descriptions were made nor did any LEO's stop or follow us.

Subjects in the context of a police report does not mean subject like in subjection or a subject to... just FYI

They meant nothing demeaning by it. IMOP
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
Welcome I have been a member of Open Carry since Feb of this year. I Open carry everyday. Mainly on the Southwest of detroit area. As you see by my name i try to post everytime i can. I posted around two or four times about my encounter with our Detroit Own. We had short talks, with no problems at all. 'Carry On. 8)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:15:42 PM by ocdetroit »
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »
In no particular order, during the last week oc'd at my children's soccer games in Forest Hills/ Ada; Meijer in Jenison; Gemmen's Hardware in Hudsonville; Red's on The River in Rockford for Dinner (part CC/ Part OC... wore cc under jacket and took coat off once inside and then went OC during dinner and wore coat out of restaurant so back to cc); Menard's on Alpine; Blockbuster in Hudsonville; Family Fare in Hudsonville; Speedway on West River in Grand Rapids; BP in Hudsonville, and around my house inside and out.  No problems at all.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »
I open carried to my local hair cut business. I dropped off the latest MSP update on open carry. She is in favor of it and also thanked me for the update. The three customers sitting there looked at me, but no one made any comments about my wearing apparel. It's like the bumper sticker says: An armed society is a polite society. Ps. Vote for candidates who support all of our Constitution!

Offline kc8swy

• MOC Member
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:28 AM »
OC'ed at Coloma Township Hall while voting today! 

I really like the new Mitch Rosen Holster I ordered.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
Welcome Ken!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline kc8swy

• MOC Member
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2010, 11:17:34 AM »
Thanks, I've been lurking for 6 months or so...

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »
OCed while voting at the Lawrence Township Fire Station... no looks that I noticed... in fact no reaction at all... I think they are used to me OCing everywhere around Lawrence.

Offline FatMan

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
Open carried while voting Elliot Elemetary in Westland,Mi, no worries.
 ;D
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline JeepinRRT

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Looks like voting today got you a few new members here!

I did my first solo OC in a CC PFZ while voting today.  I saw a few peoples eyes go to my waist but no negative feedback, or positive for that matter.  Simply people going what they otherwise would have.  A very good experience.

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2010, 10:00:21 PM »
OC'd while voting at the Lawrence Fire hall. No problems, no issues.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2010, 09:11:20 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/201 ... hou?hpt=T2  Here is an interesting video of a bank that promotes oc in Texas. I open carried yesterday on my Harley. I went to the bank (drive through), and then went to gas up at the Mobil station. I was carrying my recorder. Didn't need it...