Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 414121 times)

Offline hamaneggs

Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #520 on: April 03, 2012, 11:44:39 AM »
OCed at Wessels gunshop this morn.Purchased a Springfield XD-45.Let them know I checked they're link as advertisers on the MOC forum.Gave em some MOC cards to hand out for info.Great Guys!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #521 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
I had my very first law enforcement stop by two of Fenton's finest. I passed both squad cars while they were chatting with each other in a parking lot. I was open carrying while riding my motorcycle. About a mile down the road, they caught up to me and pulled me over in the Burger King parking lot. They stepped over to me and the one asked if I knew why I was being pulled over? I had a good notion, but I said that I didn't. He replied, that it was about the open carrying of my gun, on the bike. That led into a 15 min. discussion of my MSP 86 update which they glanced at. They said to me that they had never seen such a display before. I told them that I had been doing this for a year and that I was the one that open carried into the high school to vote, about a month ago. The one officer said that he was glad to see me carrying and that he'd like to see more folks doing it. He was for open carry, and that they would seek a clarification about the motorcycle being a motor vehicle and thus that makes me conceal carrying, even though it's so visible. They apologized twice for taking up my time. I said that it was ok, as I got to meet them and was able to pass info that they needed to know for their job. It was a good night! Ps. They ran my plate before I was stopped, as one of the officers new my last name. They asked to see my drivers lic. and nothing more.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #522 on: April 05, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
Do you also have a CPL?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #523 on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »
OC on Motorcycle without a CPL = good test case. Hope you have the $ for the trial.

Since they took you ID info, I'd not be surprised if they check with the prosecutor (if you don't have a CPL) and you get a notice of felony CCW charges.

If you have a CPL -- no worries!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #524 on: April 05, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »
Joe OCs at Meijers. So it is a good guess that he has a CPL.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #525 on: April 05, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »
Glad to see they were for OC and were going to look in to OC on a motorcycle, the same could for a bicycle too as far as 750.227 goes.  Hopefully that law will be changed at some point to allow the lawful possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle. 

Good encounter though!

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #526 on: April 05, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »
Yes, It was a great encounter! It was a good time! All three of us were packing heat. Quite the view and the feeling of equality~ I do have a cpl.

Offline PaulC

« Reply #527 on: April 06, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »
OC'd at Christmas Tree Store, Home Depot and Sterling Hgts. Dodge. No issues.

OC'd at ACO and Frontier Town in Romeo as well... no issues.

Was a nice day out and tomorrow is supposed to be even better :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:19:24 PM by PaulC »
"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #528 on: April 07, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
+1 carry on.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #529 on: April 08, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
Recently-
Denny's 44th St. Wyoming
Home Depot 54th St. Wyoming
Attitudes Hair Studio Wilson & Chicago Dr. Grandville
Walmart Kenowa Ave Grandville
Speedway 68th St Cutlerville
Shell 68th St Cutlerville

all no problem
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline TERMINATOR

• TERMINATOR Sport Fishing Charters - Pentwater, MI
  • First Name (Displayed): Freedom Is NOT Free...
« Reply #530 on: April 08, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »
Saturday OCed at Thirsty's Party Store/Gas on M55 west of Cadillac by Lake Mitchell.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/thirstys-elmrest-party-store-cadillac  They sell beer/wine/liquor so don't OC there without a CPL

Also OCed at Helsel Tree Farm on M-115 and in their little store/cafe with no issue  http://brucehelsel.com/

No issue either place.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:24:03 PM by TERMINATOR »
Shooting up my addiction to FREEDOM
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline TERMINATOR

« Reply #531 on: April 08, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
You did ask the cranky patron to share his wisdom since you didn't know what you were talking about, right?

I certainly would have.

I love showing cranky old people what an old curmudgeon is really like.

Oh and to keep this on topic...

I OC'd in Ohio today. Service centers on turnpike. Motorcycle dealership. And a gas station.

I was careful to look foe "No gun" signs, since they have weight of law. Carrying past one is a crime in itself in Ohio. Owner doesn't need to ask you to leave. If they call the cops you're going to jail. Period.

Nice to know about Ohio

Thanks
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #532 on: April 13, 2012, 05:30:21 PM »
open carried into VG's and then into Burger King. No problems. On the way to these businesses, I passed one of Fenton's finest in the other lane. I'm guessing he noticed when I followed the car in front of me to a stop. Then the light changed and he passed me, only to stop first in place when the light turned red. Being in the turn lane, I passed him and was a little ahead of him in my first place position. Nothing... a nice encounter, sort of!

Offline JB

• First Name (Displayed): John
« Reply #533 on: April 13, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
OC'ed around the Novi area today.

Went to Gander Mountain and picked up some worms before fishing.  No incident, but I did hear the girl who was greeting people at the door saying something along the lines of "That guy has a gun in a holster" to another employee right before I got up to the cash register.

Headed over to Maybury State Park to do some fishing, no word as I was there for 3 hours or so.  Not sure how many people even noticed I was carrying or not, but I sure did pass a lot of people jogging or walking their dogs.  Did catch some gills too while I was there :)

Only my second time OC'in other than around the house/my yard.  Felt weird but liberating at the same time  ;D

Offline TERMINATOR

« Reply #534 on: April 13, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
On my way to Detroit Thursday I stopped at the Wixom Road KFC/A&W just south of I96 to have lunch.

OCed my Glock in the store

No employees or customers gave me a 2nd glance that I noticed.
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline emt805

« Reply #535 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
OCed last night in Grand Rapids first to staples where I was greeted and had questions answered, next to best buy where I was ignored and went back to staples to make a purchase. In the time I went back they sold the item I was looking at so I had to order it. While completing the order information the employee at the register behind me asks if I was a cop which gets a "no" reply then he asks "open carry?" I nod he then tried to fist pump behind his back while checking someone out.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #536 on: April 21, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »
Open carried in Dearborn at the Mall ( Fairlane ). No problems.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline JB

« Reply #537 on: April 22, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
Semi OC'ed (Virgina Tuck) today cutting the grass and disc golfing out in Auburn Hills with my buddy.

No issues.

Offline JB

« Reply #538 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Went for a nice long walk today, went to gas station and cut my grass.  No weird looks I noticed.

Offline emt805

« Reply #539 on: May 06, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »
Was stopped and harassed by two employees of walmart in Lenawee tonight. They came up (one kid not looking a day over 18 and a a woman maybe in her 40s) and insisted on seeing my open carry permit. I ask excuse me? They repeat I need to see your open carry permit. They did not introduce themselves or give titles. I had a cart full of items I was pushing and with a disabled family member that relies on walking with a cane. I inform them that there is no such open carry permit and asked if they are aware of walmart policy? Their reply was that they had no idea but they think the policy in place does not allow their employees to carry but had no idea on the rest of it. They use the people feel threatened by the presence of my sidearm (1911 in leather thumb snap holster at 230).

At this point I saw that everyone I have seen seems to be carrying out their day as normal and did not see anyone running away scared he replied with it is more of the employees feel threatened. I inform im that due to the  having a liquor license that in order to oc I must do so with a cpl and that I would show hm and he insists on seeing an id as well which I show him and thumb over my name and address be he tries to take it and tries to focus on memorizing my name to fill out on a report which I ask further questions and inform him he can call leos and dispatch if he thinks it is not legal. During the rest of my shopping they had extra staff following me so I left without getting things on my list but spent about $150. An email to their corporate office is on the way. In the two years I have been carrying I have carried at this store many times no looks or comments.

A few other places, quaker steak & lube and Jude's barber shop in Grand Rapids, Hudson's Grill and Toy House in Jackson. Kmart in Adrian