Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 403185 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #540 on: May 13, 2012, 12:41:15 PM »
Sterile OCing (forgot my wallet at home) at Kensington Metropolitan Park for a visit with my MIL and wife's family.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline PaulC

« Reply #541 on: May 20, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
Oc'd at Selfridge DNR launch, then on the boat all day, Deckers Landing (Algonac/Fairhaven?) for lunch, The Country Inn for Dinner (23/Romeo Plank). No issues no comments.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #542 on: May 20, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
OCed the rally at the capitol, then off to sample a few local gun shops. Went on a wild goose to Bath, then to Gander Mt. (yeah, I know) but I did find a sweet old Winchester Super X Model 1 in trap grade, great condition, for a song.

Then, it got interesting-

Leaving Gander, noticed two pups locked in a closed up car; poor critters looked pretty bad. Called the local sheriff, who responded quickly. No comment at all about Steel magnolia's 45, or mine.

The real shocker- apparently animal abuse isn't illegal in Lansing area? WTF? :o
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #543 on: May 26, 2012, 12:28:04 AM »
Out running errands with the girlfriend today.  OCd at Horrocks and Michael's in Grand Ledge, Target and Hobby Lobby in Lansing, PNC bank in Haslett, and the new Meijer in Bath Twp.  No issues.

Offline PaulC

« Reply #544 on: May 26, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
This past week:
Shields for dinner, Texas Roadhouse, Kroger, and Speedway. No issues.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #545 on: May 27, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
was in downtown royal oak yesterday for a class. parked in public lot right next to police station. went from class and geared up OC to go get my hair cut. needed money so the sign in front of the police station said  NO FEE ATM..cool. went in. desk officer saw it right away but you have to walk up a flight of stairs to approach desk. the ATM was just by the front door. while getting cash an officer came out to what i thought was to ask me but he just told some people in the lobby what a fine was going to be. looked right at me and waved and that was it. walked out.

by the way the NO FEE ATM charged me $1.50
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #546 on: May 27, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
by the way the NO FEE ATM charged me $1.50

Maybe YOUR bank charged you the fee for using a foreign ATM...?

Offline PaulC

« Reply #547 on: May 29, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
Oc'd at Deckers landing, Selfridge DNR launch, all around the lake.. kroger, speedway, my sons school (treaty has ended) and meijer. No issues. Decent weather. It is going to be a summer chocked full of OC :)

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #548 on: May 30, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
OCed at Meijer, Speedway and Wal-mart today.  No issue's, in fact not even a second look that I noticed.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #549 on: May 30, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
OC'd a few places lately, Last week I OC'd at subway on my lunch break from work where a gentleman stated his appreciation for OC.  We talked for a minute and then we realized we saw each other a few months ago at Old Country Buffet here in the Battle Creek.  I told him about the event upcoming in June in the area and he said he would try to make it.

Yesterday I OC'd at a different subway in town, one I dont usually visit due to it being further away, but I decided to cause it was convenient at the time.  Anyways, the young girl that was helping us was qutie friendly and she didnt notice my OC G19 until I was paying and she stopped while I was trying to hand her my debit card and after a second or two she looked at me and said "sorry, I just noticed your gun and it kinda scared me a bit" I told her not to worry and that she was safe and that only the good guys will let you see their guns.  She didnt know what to make of that but didnt seem alarmed...more surprised.

I havent been getting out much so thats about it for the experiences.  Otherwise I've just been OCing around my home, my cat doesnt seem to mind.

Offline PaulC

« Reply #550 on: June 01, 2012, 09:52:34 PM »
OC'd at Speedway a few days ago. The manager asked "what are you carrying?" I told her it was a 40. She said he b/f had an sr9 and which time we started yapping. She said she shoots regularly at CQT and just bought a colt 1911. So... I am pretty sure the Manager is OK with my OC activity.

OC'd at Taco bell today with the kiddies for dinner. No issues. no stares..

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #551 on: June 05, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »
OC'd at Petes Coney II in Clarkston with the infamous Stainless1911 to meet with his local representative.  We have been discussing possible changes to MCL 750.227 to allow vehicle carry and presented our argument to the local representative he has worked with a few times before, Eileen Kowall.  Nice lady, she seemed interested in our position and in the points that we made regarding being able to carry a firearm in a vehicle without a CPL. 

Stainless was sitting strong side out and a woman came up and said "I see youre carrying in the open" which he replied "yes I am" then it got weird, she said "do you think youre being funny?" he asked what she meant and explained OC is legal.  She responded with "oh yes I know, I'm all for carry, my husband carries concealed and is a member of the NRA, I was just saying that its in the open" I tried to give her an MOC tri-fold but she wasnt interested.  She sounded supportive but boy did she start the conversation off weird.

We also spoke with another woman that was there to speak with Rep. Kowall while she was away from the table, she didnt understand why someone would need to carry a gun into a store or a restaurant and she stated she had a fear of guns which was only increased after receiving some firearm training. She said its because she realized the ability someone has to take a life. I explained it is a huge responsibility, she stated she was weary about other people carrying because she doesnt know what the state requires for someone to qualify to buy a gun and she is afraid that some nut will end up with one. Stainless mentioned that for the same reason she is afraid of some nut getting a gun is the same reason we carry. Which seemed to make her stop and think.

I also explained several situations where in these locations (stores and restaurants) people have been killed, beaten, stabbed, robbed, mugged, all these places where someone thought "this could never happen here" and I told her thats exactly where I want a gun. In the end I think between Stainless and I talking to her she kind of opened her mind a little more, I'm sure we left her with a lot to think about from the gun carriers side of the table. Its a lot different for someone who is talking to individuals who are armed and carry regularly say they carry for the same reasons she is afraid of people with guns. She however was very polite and pleasant to talk to and she didnt seem scared or get up and run from the table.

The restaurant we were in was very busy but we had absolutely no problems. Stainless and I were standing outside chatting for a while after speaking to Rep. Kowall, while doing so a kid that works at the restaurant was walking the trash out and asked if we were LEO to which I replied "nope just exercising our rights" the kid just replied with "cool" and a very approving look.

It was a good day.

To be honest Stainless seems like a pretty stand up guy and I had good time chatting with him.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #552 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
Maybe brainless1911 will take you along for a stroll down the double yellow of Dixie Highway. Or for a little walk through the playgrounds filled with children. I'll bet if you ask him nice he might even let you slide off the hood of his car. Or even go shooting with him in his indoor range he has set up in his single wide.

<Redacted by TheQ -- Original message was delivered *grin*>
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:07:11 PM by TheQ »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #553 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
I don't typically post about every time I Open Carry in this thread -- I value my privacy and don't feel like posting a diary of every place I go...plus, my life is pretty boring.

That being said, I just got home from the Quality Dairy (Local Lansing business that runs a local chain of convenience stores that has pushed 7-eleven out of town -- sell frozen soda treats too).  Anyhow, as I was approaching, I saw someone else walking out who was strapped (like me).  We talked for a minute...good convo.  He had a CPL too.  I then walked into the store and did my business.  Not every day you see 2 completely unrelated people Open Carrying in a small convenience store within 5 minutes.

About a week ago I was shopping at the Meijers on South Cedar/Pennsylvania in Lansing.  While checking out I ran into "METL" who was, of course, open carrying!

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #554 on: June 14, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »
OC'ed tonight at Outback Steak house in Brighton, also went over to the Verizon store, Best Buy and Radio shack.  Not even a second look, great night of OCing!

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #555 on: June 14, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »
Audio from OCing in BK today forthcoming as soon as I get out of work and can upload it.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #556 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »
OCed today while renewing my drivers licence and MC tag. No issues. Oced later in the day for a late lunch at Copper Grill also no issues. Both location are in Paw Paw.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #557 on: June 14, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »
Today was my first time OCing. I decided to start off slow so I went fishing along the river in Niles. Quite a few people walk this area and fish. I caught 2 pike in 30 minutes! Anyways, after the fish quit bitting I decided to go and have a casual conversation with one of the fisherman down the river. We talked about the fish we caught and so on. He didnt seem to be bothered by the M&P 40 on my hip. I guess its possible he may not have even noticed it. After our chat I wished him good luck and went on my way. I find myself going out of my way to be courteous and friendly to people and non intimidating because it is important for us OCers to set an example and show the public that we are NORMAL people. Today was a good day.

Hi Steve and welcome.  I hope you don't mind, since your post was your first post and it made a good intro post, I moved it over here:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,1842.0.html

Offline METL

« Reply #558 on: June 15, 2012, 12:31:23 AM »

About a week ago I was shopping at the Meijers on South Cedar/Pennsylvania in Lansing.  While checking out I ran into "METL" who was, of course, open carrying!

Not sure what you're talking about.. *coughI never OC...         ;)

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #559 on: June 15, 2012, 01:04:06 AM »
I posted a few hours ago about the audio I was going to be up loading...here is it for you, the audio is kind of quite so you will have to turn your speakers up once it gets to it, theres a small video of me speaking before hand which is louder so dont turn your speakers up yet.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:07:21 AM by yance »