Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393041 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #580 on: August 09, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
Welcome to the UP PaulC, next time go all the way and come visit. (all the way being the tip of the Keweenaw).

Keweenaw isn't at the end of the Earth.

But you can see Keweenaw from there.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #581 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
my OC non-event yesterday evening on my way home from work. stopping for gas i pulled up to the pump and having to pay cash i walked into the station (sells liquor) after noticing an oakland county sheriff's unit parked on the side of the store. yes i have my CPL.

only people in the store were the deputy, store employee and me. walked up to the counter as the deputy turned around to leave clearly seeing my sig-rig. he said "hi' and left. i paid and turned around walking out behind him. he gave an understandable glance back as i was heading in the same direction until i veered towards my car to pump the gas. he drove off and within a minute an OCSD SUV passes many open pumps to pull up to the pump on the other side of me. waited for the contact to begin but i was finished and hopped in and drove off. no convenient traffic stop when i pulled out or anything. non event but worth mentioning.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline bagz013

« Reply #582 on: August 10, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
Shopped at Wally World for over an hour tonight with no issues.

Got some strange looks from the employees and double takes from the customers but no one approached me.

Course spending over $300 on food for a family party didn't hurt the situation.

Carry on fellas
Si vis pacem, para bellum
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it- Aristotle
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #583 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »
All over Hobby Lobby in Kentwood. No issues...
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #584 on: August 11, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »
All the normal places lately, Meijer, local restaurants, and gas stations in Okemos.

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #585 on: August 11, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »
Met up with Raggs at Russ' on Division (Cutlerville), then off to Meijers and Staples in Gaines Twp. No issues whatsoever.

Good to meet a fellow OCer & neighbor!

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
Last night the girlfriend and I went out to Scott Colburn Saddlery in Farmington Hills and did some shopping for some shirts and new boots.  Several people in the store and had no issue at all, was helped several times by an employee and i don't even think he noticed.  Also went to dinner at Outback Steakhouse in Novi with no issue's. 

Today we went into Milford for the Milford Memories festival and walked around downtown for almost 3 hours and never even had a second look, this included walking by several LEO's.

It was a great few days of OCing.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #587 on: August 12, 2012, 09:50:31 PM »
Michigan State University.

Twice.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #588 on: August 13, 2012, 12:05:44 AM »
I Open Carried today while in Total Firearms in Holt, MI.  They know who I am and they asked me to relay to everyone -- "TOTAL FIREARMS IS OPEN CARRY FRIENDLY" (but I don't think their gun show is) - so stop spreading the word Total Firearm is NOT OC Friendly..  I bought a Mossberg 500 28.5" OAL w/ 18.5" barrel.  They screwed up the barrel length (put 17.5") on the RI-60 *grumbles* so I need to go back tomorrow morning and have them fix it before I turn it in.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

« Reply #589 on: August 13, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

*BOOOM* stick...     :D

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #590 on: August 13, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
OC'd at John Ball Zoo on Sunday afternoon with my parents, my brother, and my nephew...my nephew turned 6 last monday so we went for his birthday, then at Denny's afterwards, I had my pockets stacked with a few MOC trifolds but sadly didnt get an opportunity to pass any out  :-[.  I dont think too many people noticed, the girl at the entrance I caught staring at my sidearm as we walked up however, but nothing was said. However as we were leaving the zoo and making our way back to the vehicle there was a father and his two teenage daughters walking a few feet to our right in the same direction on my strong side,  I heard the father say "anyone can open carry" to which his daughter replied "even to the zoo?!"  I didnt hear the rest of the conversation since they were walking faster than we were but it seems as though people are getting informed about OC and just by chance I was able to allow him to educate his daughters that anyone can OC, at the very least now they know that OC is legal and acceptable.  No problems or issues, or even questions oddly enough, at the zoo or at Denny's afterwards, it was a good day!

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #591 on: August 13, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
  No problems or issues, or even questions oddly enough, at the zoo or at Denny's afterwards, it was a good day!

Denny's by 131 is pretty used to SM & I OCing there. Its a regular haunt for us.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #592 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
Denny's by 131 is pretty used to SM & I OCing there. Its a regular haunt for us.

This might have been the one, just a few minutes drive from the Zoo, on the right hand side as you're driving south, its like the first right off of the exit....across from a pizza hut I believe.

Offline Scotchman

• Luke 22:36
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #593 on: August 14, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »
So I am finally OCing while shopping. Sam's Club in Southfield and Madison Heights, No issues other than an occasional managerial tail. GFS in Southfield was the same.  Smile back guys! I will try the one in Madison Heights soon. Also had to go back to Lenscrafters (8mile and Evergreen) to pick up my second pair and had no comments again.

Micro-Center in Madison Heights -- My son needed a new Hard Drive and also wanted to look for any discounted versions of Call of Duty (We like it for family Mutiplay and discounted boxes are great).

No events there, except till we were in the checkout line when I heard "... but it's legal!" very clearly. Now I cant tell who said it and can't be sure who it was aimed at. BUT considering circumstances I was hopeful someone simply got educated.

No real issues!

Non-Events are a great way to build comfort and confidence.

I agree with TheQ, in that, I "almost" always wear some button-up shirt and Usually nice pants or shorts. I bought a pair of black BDU shorts to replace my jean shorts. I am casual as can be at home but usually not so much when shopping. Black slacks and a mice shirt. Plus I also have 1-4 dependents with me which also makes me look more personable. Smile and be friendly!

So far. other than voting in a school; I have had no other incidents in my second week of OCing when out doing business.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:42:43 AM by Scotchman »
Luke 22:36 * [Jesus said] ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

We all hear John 3:16 or Matthew 7:1 - by people who never read the rest of those chapters either.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: August 15, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
Michigan State University again. No issues.

Been OCing while bicycling a lot around Okemos and on the Lansing River Walk Trail. No one seems to notice or care. Stopped by Biggby Coffee in East Lansing today and bought a beverage. As I was sitting at the table resting and drinking it, the girl--er, barista--came by my table and talked for a while. She didn't seem bothered by me or the gun.

Offline emcee101

« Reply #595 on: August 15, 2012, 11:55:53 PM »
OC'd at Walmart (Canton on Mich Ave.) and got the best customer service I have ever got there. Had 2 employees running all around the electronics department, almost felt like they were competing to help me buy a TV. Like was said in another post, sometimes there is added benefits to a 1911 OC'd. Cary On and Open!
"That the people have a Right to mass and to bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the Body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper natural and safe defense of a free State..."

- George Mason

Offline dmd7765

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dave
« Reply #596 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
Been a member for a few weeks, OC'd for the first time today at Walmart on Telegraph in Taylor, no issues
molon labe!!
MOC Member
MGO Member

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #597 on: August 22, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
dmd, glad to hear nothing happened and hopefully we'll see some more posts from ya!

OT:  I know I'm a few days late, but on the way to the picnic last weekend in Jackson me and another member stopped at Starbucks to get some coffee and while waiting for our order to come up we were approached by a gentleman who asked if we were doing an open carry march or something.  We explained that we were on our way to Jackson for the picnic and we discussed OC, he has his CPL and CC's all the time but has been nervous about OCing, we answered his questions and I gave him an MOC trifold. He mentioned he's been told by police that because he has a CPL he cant open carry, he must conceal, I told him they were wrong, his CPL only allows him to conceal. He said he is very supportive of it and said he likes seeing people like us doing it (ocing), he also said he owns a plumbing company and he pays for all of his employees to obtain a CPL and he encourages carry while on the job.  We talked with him for about 30 minutes, it was a great conversation and hopefully he'll get confident about OCing and we can add another one to the list!

Offline rampage537

• First Name (Displayed): Greg
« Reply #598 on: September 03, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
Over the weekend I went to family video and autozone at 14 and dequindre. Went to family dollar in Hazel Park. Happy to say it was all uneventful, not sure anyone noticed. :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:28:41 PM by TheQ »
The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard, against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible. Hubert H. Humphrey, Senator, Vice President, 22 October 1959

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #599 on: September 03, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »
Quote from: Pond Scum;1819815
OC'd at Walmart on Alpine last week and got a few looks from customers but nothing from employees.  OC'd at Meijers on Plainfield Sunday and walked all over the store several times on "missions" from my wife with out even a second glance.