Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393225 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #620 on: October 08, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
Tell your mom hi, and to turn the heat up in the basement it's getting cold down there.

Show up here:
http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2156.0.html

And you can say "Hi".
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline wayne

« Reply #621 on: October 20, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
Good day of OC yesterday at work all day, then out to dinner at the Rusty Saw just north of Saginaw.  The waitress seemed to be a bit troubled and kept staring at me with an odd look for about the first 20 min or so that we were there.  The owner was direct line of site to my weapon as he sat putting together new menus and didn't seem troubled at all.  This was my first visit there and I have to say that is some DANG good BBQ!  Owner came and chatted with us after our meal to find out how we liked everything...

After dinner, on to Family Video and no one seemed to care about the big CZ-75 on my right hip.  Yesterday was my first day wearing the voice recorder, I kept it in my shirt pocket, and for about 14hr, it picked up 5hr worth of recording (voice / noise activated recording).  Going out to OC to Duncan's and get some time on the range, then on to Wally World today.

Offline FARR10

• First Name (Displayed): Farr10
« Reply #622 on: October 25, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
Well I have done some various shopping this week and have o/c everywhere permissible without CPL. "waiting on hearing date-macomb county"These past days have been uneventful and without incident. Actually have not had anyone say one word to me at all – Good or negative…  It’s been Great!!
I will continue to carry openly when I can.

If anyone is wondering my intentions as to why I o/c-- My answer is #1 first & foremost:  Personal Protection… 
18 shootings in Detroit last 5 days. I work, live, play within spitting distance to that travesty people call a city. I refuse to be A victim. I fully support mine and all of your 2nd amendment rights….

Positive / non combative list:

PEPBOYS- east point / Gratiot-
ACE hardware – harper  / St Clair Shores
Home depot – hoover     / Centerline
Burlington CF.         / Gratiot-  “on list”

i am sorry to get off topic:
regards
mike-

Offline FARR10

• First Name (Displayed): Farr10
« Reply #623 on: October 29, 2012, 09:09:41 AM »
Had some various shopping to do over the weekend, and with my wife working I had my 3/ best buddies along.
My 2,4, and 6 year old. I have previously O/C at various businesses without a hitch however I was curious if having small children would raise concern or would it dilute it.

We went to Home Depot in Roseville, and Pet Smart and I  O/c the entire time. Once again not a single person made mention to the sidearm- ---I will mention my children are fully aware of what dad has on his belt and they know they are not to speak of it to anyone outside of our immediate family ever…. This was a personal decision I made. Others may argue my choice however it serves us best this way. Won’t go into my reasoning now…

I don’t recall receiving any double takes, nor did I see any quiet whispers…
I believe the people that noticed just accepted the fact that a man with a firearm and his small children was not a threat and he may even be a decent guy.

--Therefore another successful open carry event.-

Offline METL

« Reply #624 on: November 02, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

YEs, often times OCing with your girlfriend/wife and/or your small children will put people's fears to rest.  I have always had pretty good luck with the kids in tow.  Then again, I"ve never had a negative encounter at all...  but the few "stink eyes" I get are never with the kiddies along...

Offline Ryan182

« Reply #625 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
Eating at The Dyckman in paw paw for lunch all is well. Seen Tucan Tom about 15min ago drving through paw paw.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #626 on: November 05, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
Open carried past the "No Weapons Allowed" sign at the Flint Municipal building. I went in to pay house taxes. I told the wife that this is a public building and that the sign is bs. Anyways, no one said a thing. Also, don't forget to vote tomorrow with your firearm in tow.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #627 on: November 05, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
Eating at The Dyckman in paw paw for lunch all is well. Seen Tucan Tom about 15min ago drving through paw paw.
Thats "Tucson Tom". I have carried every day for the last however long. Ryan, give me a call if you are going to be in Paw Paw for lunch anytime in the future.

Offline Ryan182

« Reply #628 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
Went to menards on west main in oshtemo which has always been OC friendly, no problems there.

Kalamazoo city building for a permit, then Kalamazoo township building for the right permit, no problems either places.

On the way home I stopped at the Marathon in Glendale on M-43 to hang a flier for the seminar in Portage. I've spoke with one of the owners before and she was friendly towrds OC. And today another woman that works there told me another story of how at a CPL class she took the instructor told them that once they had the license they gave up their right to OC. I informed her that this was completely faulse and she asked me a couple questions about MOC and the seminar, she seemed interested in checking out the website anyway. I asked where she took the class and it sounded like a local job, Collins, I think is all she told me. I'm not sure how long ago this was either didn't get much info about that.

Offline Ryan182

« Reply #629 on: November 19, 2012, 10:40:01 PM »
BTW

Where is the poll option "the OC experiences sub-forum reiforced my decision to open carry"

I had already decided it was something I wanted to do before I found the forum but after reading how many others did it with so little issue that alone made me feel more comfertable

Offline xmanhockey7

• First Name (Displayed): Xander
« Reply #630 on: November 22, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
OC'd at Steak n' Shake for a couple hours tonight with 3 high school friends. I was sitting strong side out and the place was fairly busy. Nobody seemed to really care until we were just about to leave. A group of 5 college aged students sat down at a table kiddy corner to us. The kid who was wearing an Illinois jacket made sure to tell everyone at the table I had a gun. I tell by the commotion. The only person I could really hear was the kid who had the Illinois jacket and he said things like "There's no need for that!" "You can't just carry out in the open" "He could just pull it out and (then made the motion of shooting randomly in a bunch of directions)". Then he pull out his phone and took a picture of me. Said he was going to send it to his brother. I can't believe this kid thought I couldn't hear him. I pretty much just ignored them but still kept on eye on 'em. When I went up to pay he could not stop staring at me and from what I could tell he was talking about me.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #631 on: November 23, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
OC'd at Steak n' Shake for a couple hours tonight with 3 high school friends. I was sitting strong side out and the place was fairly busy. Nobody seemed to really care until we were just about to leave. A group of 5 college aged students sat down at a table kiddy corner to us. The kid who was wearing an Illinois jacket made sure to tell everyone at the table I had a gun. I tell by the commotion. The only person I could really hear was the kid who had the Illinois jacket and he said things like "There's no need for that!" "You can't just carry out in the open" "He could just pull it out and (then made the motion of shooting randomly in a bunch of directions)". Then he pull out his phone and took a picture of me. Said he was going to send it to his brother. I can't believe this kid thought I couldn't hear him. I pretty much just ignored them but still kept on eye on 'em. When I went up to pay he could not stop staring at me and from what I could tell he was talking about me.

"Is there something you'd like to say to me directly? Or are so cowardly that you'd rather say it behind my back?"
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #632 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »
"Is there something you'd like to say to me directly? Or are so cowardly that you'd rather say it behind my back?"

Naaaa....  I don't believe in challenging or engaging someone in a pissing match when you're armed...  though I agree with your Sentiment Pat...  I just think it's not a good idea.  You never know when they might want to stand up to you, putting you in a bad situation, or if they call the cops saying "the mean guy with the gun was threatening me"....

Though it does sound like a perfect opportunity for a 1 line zinger as you breeze past....    x^D

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #633 on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
You could say something to the effect of "I couldnt help but to over hear some of your conversations and I couldnt avoid assuming you were referring to me.  If you would like I can take a few moments to explain how open carry is legal and what the law says about it" 

Then if they are really curious about it they may accept the offer, if they dont care they will refuse it.  Either way you come across as polite, regardless of how they feel about it the simple fact that you came across as polite and respectful is something they may remember and may have a larger impact on how they view seeing someone with a gun than if you were to give them a sarcastic one liner. 

Even if they dont care to hear you out when you are trying to be polite, we (as gun owners and OCers) still need to remain calm and polite to even the most ardent gun control supporters.  As gun owners we need to always be the more mature and take the high road, because the actions of one reflect on us all.

Offline METL

« Reply #634 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
Agreed...  but maybe ready the zinger for if they decline...  lol...   :o

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #635 on: November 27, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
You could say something to the effect of "I couldnt help but to over hear some of your conversations and I couldnt avoid assuming you were referring to me.  If you would like I can take a few moments to explain how open carry is legal and what the law says about it" 

Then if they are really curious about it they may accept the offer, if they dont care they will refuse it.  Either way you come across as polite, regardless of how they feel about it the simple fact that you came across as polite and respectful is something they may remember and may have a larger impact on how they view seeing someone with a gun than if you were to give them a sarcastic one liner. 

Even if they dont care to hear you out when you are trying to be polite, we (as gun owners and OCers) still need to remain calm and polite to even the most ardent gun control supporters.  As gun owners we need to always be the more mature and take the high road, because the actions of one reflect on us all.
That's why you're the VP. And I'm just an old curmudgeon.

I've only had one "negative" comment. Some old guy (older than me) told me that I had to "cover that up."

In a relatively polite way I said. "I don't have to! And I'm not going to!" And I went about my business.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #636 on: November 27, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Speaking of curmudgeons... I open carried at the Lansing State of Michigan General Administration Building yesterday. Some homely bald guy wanted to chit chat. Other than that nobody paid me no never-mind.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #637 on: November 27, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
Speaking of curmudgeons... I open carried at the Lansing State of Michigan General Administration Building yesterday. Some homely bald guy wanted to chit chat. Other than that nobody paid me no never-mind.

Me!  I was at my day job!  My division was having a meeting in that building (not our building).
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #638 on: November 28, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
I like passing my copy of MSP 86 that i carry for those who are interested in the ins/outs of open/conceal carry. The paperwork says it all. Interesting to read, if you've never read it.

Offline xmanhockey7

• First Name (Displayed): Xander
« Reply #639 on: November 28, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »

+1