Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393090 times)

Offline jfmi87

Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #700 on: April 05, 2013, 01:28:26 AM »
I finally for the first time open carried at Meijer in BC to pick up a few things. Nothing exciting happened but I am pretty sure one guy was very nervous when he saw me, but I didn't get hassled or tailed by any employees, or any words from anyone. No cops showed up.

Well, this is the first open carry besides at the gun store/range where such things are to be expected.

I was pretty nervous but I kept my phone in hand to keep my mind off it a bit.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #701 on: April 05, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
I finally for the first time open carried at Meijer in BC to pick up a few things. Nothing exciting happened but I am pretty sure one guy was very nervous when he saw me, but I didn't get hassled or tailed by any employees, or any words from anyone. No cops showed up.

Well, this is the first open carry besides at the gun store/range where such things are to be expected.

I was pretty nervous but I kept my phone in hand to keep my mind off it a bit.

Cool. You have a CPL, right?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #702 on: April 05, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »
I was going to ask the same question.

It does get easier, you'll find your self keeping an eye on people but not caring what they think.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #703 on: April 05, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »
Oh, I am carrying for the first time today out and about. Finally not dependent on crutches again.
Feels good. :D

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #704 on: April 05, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »
Cool. You have a CPL, right?
Yes.

Offline RnSdriver

« Reply #705 on: April 11, 2013, 05:57:57 AM »
Tuesday I open carried at Fire House Music while selling them some used effects pedals I don't use any more.

Then I headed over the hiway to Hobby Lobby and had a great time joking with cashier(my cousin), and her boss in the check out line.

Nothing said at either place about my XDm.

Yesterday I was working on the end of my driveway when a guy stopped to say thanks for carrying!

All in all a couple of great days.
I prefer Liberty and Danger over peace and slavery.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #706 on: April 11, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »
Oh, I am carrying for the first time today out and about. Finally not dependent on crutches again.
Feels good. :D

Finally, geeze.  :P

Offline JaccFrost

• What do I have to be afraid of? Nothing...
  • First Name (Displayed): Joe
« Reply #707 on: April 14, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
So...i have noticed what allot of people say that when they are out OCing few people ever even notice is mostly true. I have not carried in many locations but in my local Wesco stations and I am not even sure if any of the staff of customer were even aware. I am becoming more confident with every trip I make. I don't have much time to go many places but I still carry as often as I can.

My Fiance was quite nervous of me OCing, I think because it seems to strange and out of the ordinary, which is something I am going to continue and do my part on changing.

I admit, it was very strange to OC a firearm for the first time..even the second and third. I felt like everyone was looking at me when in reality I believe there was not a single person looking in my direction. Not to mention that is it more comfortable to OC than CC as many and most already know.
As someone who carries, I fully accept responsibility and the consequences of my actions..

xerxescct

« Reply #708 on: April 14, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
I know it sounds funny and uneventful but im at the point now where I can open carry to get the mail, take out the trash and sit on my back balcony without even thinking about it. Had a small mishap with the neighbor but that seems to have been settled . Planning on OC to the park and back when it gets warmer out with the family. Its about a half mile walk. I will have my audio recorder just in case.

For me this has been a baby step process.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #709 on: April 14, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
I know it sounds funny and uneventful but im at the point now where I can open carry to get the mail, take out the trash and sit on my back balcony without even thinking about it. Had a small mishap with the neighbor but that seems to have been settled . Planning on OC to the park and back when it gets warmer out with the family. Its about a half mile walk. I will have my audio recorder just in case.

For me this has been a baby step process.

Don't sell yourself short, baby steps are far better than no steps at all. Soon it will become second nature and actually feel unusual if you don't have your sidearm.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

xerxescct

« Reply #710 on: April 14, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
Don't sell yourself short, baby steps are far better than no steps at all. Soon it will become second nature and actually feel unusual if you don't have your sidearm.

Thank you, if it weren't for these forums my pistol would still be locked away in storage somewhere. The people here have been very supportive and have provided great feedback. Maybe my case will inspire others as I have been inspired by stories I have read.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #711 on: April 15, 2013, 09:03:20 AM »
Had to go to Marion In. for work on Sat. open/conceal (short jacket). Of course I stopped at a couple gas stations to get something to drink. Ate at a small mom & pop restaurant in Marion. The waitress asked what I carried etc. all of the regular small talk and all went well. On the way back I had a county sheriff following me for about 20 miles after I filled the gas. Nothing happened.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #712 on: April 15, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
Went to a friends today to get my wife's brakes looked at. We had to go to Nappa Auto Parts in Monroe for brake pads and a rotor for her brakes. We both carried there, not a glance or word mentioned as it should be. Afterwards, went to Food Town in Monroe to get a few things, again no looks or comments except from the cashier who kept smiling at me. Then went a few doors down to get some take out Chinese food for dinner. In the restaurant the cook behind the counter looked at me wide eyed, then smiled and told me way to go, and then asked what I wanted to order. So a good day all around. 
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Rustykeys

« Reply #713 on: April 17, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
Went to Monroe this morning and OC'd at Walmart, Staples, Dunham's, and Radio Shack. Only looks or comments came from an employee at Radio Shack. Asked me if today was Open Carry day in Monroe because I was the forth person in the store today OC'ing. Gave him a thumbs up and said no, we are just exercising our rights. He said he was cool with that and said he just hadn't seen anyone open carry in the store before. I said well the weather is nice so no one is wearing coats and it's much more comfortable to open carry. Great day for all OC'ers!
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »
Well an interesting day with OC. The wife and I went to Monroe and stopped at Meijer, Radio Shack, and Nappa Auto Parts, no issues at all. Stopped at Wal-Mart and had an interesting encounter. Now to put things in perspective, my wife works at this Wal-Mart. We did our shopping without incident, but after we checked out we stopped to talk to a couple of my wife's coworkers. Two of them had no problem, but the third, upon seeing my gun, got wide eyed and stepped back from me. She asked why I was carrying a gun and I replied because I refuse to be a victim. She then asked about the legality of carrying a gun and I explained the legalities of open carry of a firearm. Now she was in no way anti-gun, just surprised to see someone carrying one and a bit apprehensive about being too close to one. We talked more about how a gun was nothing more than a tool, just as a hammer (we also discussed that about 7 years ago at their old location, someone grabbed a hammer from hardware and assaulted people) but they still sell hammers and people are not afraid of them. Her two coworkers seemed amused by all this. After it was all said and done, she came close and asked if she could touch my gun. Maybe she will look into things more and overcome here fear of them. I think she was also surprised to hear that my wife is waiting for her CPL, has her own gun, and carries when she can lol.

xerxescct

« Reply #715 on: April 19, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
Now to put things in perspective, my wife works at this Wal-Mart.

Does Wal-Mart have a policy against weapons? I am wondering if somehow they can hold your wife accountable for your actions. Not to knock your wife's job but places like these have way of getting rid of people.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • I don't dial 911
« Reply #716 on: April 19, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »
Does Wal-Mart have a policy against weapons? I am wondering if somehow they can hold your wife accountable for your actions. Not to knock your wife's job but places like these have way of getting rid of people.

No by no means are they against guns. Corporate policy is to comply with state laws. The whole "perspective" comment was a prelude to it was her coworkers. All but one was good, one was apprehensive but not anti.

xerxescct

« Reply #717 on: April 23, 2013, 06:37:27 AM »
Yesterday was really nice out. Sunny, warm, perfect for taking a walk and open carry. I holstered up and walked along the lake in the back yard and then around the neighborhood. Probably close to about an hour and a half of open carry. Had a few people walking their dogs which I waved at. Some kids playing. Some people fishing on the lake. All well within sight of my pistol and they either did not notice or did not care. My nerves were on high alert when I first started my walk but about half way through I forgot I even had the pistol with me. I intend to make it down a busier road when we get another nice day.

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #718 on: April 27, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
Carried at Menards and Sams Club in Mt. Pleasant on the way to the OC dinner in Clare. The only interaction was at Sam's when a store employee can up and asked if I was carrying a SR9. Turned out he was the president of a gun club around Bay City. Had a great chat about open carry.
North East Michigan Coordinator

xerxescct

« Reply #719 on: May 01, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
Today was a warm day. The sun was shining. The wind was moderate. A great day to do some walking. Took the family for a stroll around the neighborhood. About an hour into our walk I was informed by my wife that a township cop was following us about 200 or so feet back. I brought my voice recorder and camera just in case I needed it. I simply went on with the walk. Passed alot of people walking dogs, kids, or whatever and saying hi to them all. On our way back home the patrol car was getting closer and closer so I readied the voice recorder and had the wife get her cell phone out ready to record. At this point another township car was coming from the other end of the street. The officer slowed past me, I waved, he waved and he continued on. The two stopped and chatted with each other behind us while in their car. I continued on home without incident and was passed by the first car without him stopping.

I am not sure if it was a passer by who called or it was someone from their house who called but someone did. I prepared for the worst but got nothing. My fear was being detained but that never happened. Obviously the officers realized I was doing no wrong so they just continued on. It was at a time a bit stressful but this is one more hump to get over and I passed.