Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 392960 times)

Offline JaccFrost

• What do I have to be afraid of? Nothing...
  • First Name (Displayed): Joe
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #720 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:52 AM »
I OC'd at Meijer in North Muskegon tonight, well last night now by the looks of the clock. I wandered all around the store gathering my few random items and was just finishing up my self checkout as a manager was doing what a manager does and while passing by me comments, "that startled me for a second."

My response was, "what's that?"

manager, "I saw your holster and the butt of your gun."

Myself, "I bet you are the first to notice tonight."

He carried on about his duties and all in all it is what I expected from what I have seen others post. I have been waiting for someone to comment about me OC'ing and tonight was the first.

Seems kinda boring now that I re-read it, but I suppose what this shows others, especially those new to OC is that a vast majority of the time no one will either notice or care and if someone does say something, it is usually out of curiosity.
As someone who carries, I fully accept responsibility and the consequences of my actions..

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #721 on: May 03, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »
OC'd in Madison Heights PD to file a private property accident report for the hit n run my car suffered in a gas station parking lot today.  Leo asked me if I was an officer but that was all.  Less than 2k miles on my car and some idiot trashes it.   >:(

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #722 on: May 04, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »
opened carried today for the first time with my cpl.  Put about 100 miles on my motorcycle.  Stopped at holland state park for a little bit.  nobody said a thing (but then again, its hard to hear going 60mph down the road lol).
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #723 on: May 04, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
Well interesting morning for the wife and I. Some may be aware of the commotion in my area with Todd's Guns sponsoring a little league team down here. Todd's sons are on that team. The league had no problem but the coach and some parents did. Well, the wife and I got shirts from Todd's and showed up this morning for the game wearing them and our open carried hand guns. We were just past the gate to the field area when a coach from the other team came over, and said "Very classy, carrying a gun to a base ball game". I smiled, nodded , and replied "Thanks for the compliment" and my wife said thank you. Of course the guy was already walking away, having come over just long enough to try and insult us. Then a bit later while sitting in the bleachers a couple came over to sit. The woman got up behind us, started to sit, noticed our hand guns, and said to her husband "I can't sit here, sorry". So we had that bleacher to ourselves. Now the County Sheriff that was present and the Bedford Township officer didn't even give us a glance. Talked to a a couple other people who were concealed carrying about open carry as they new nothing about it. Those were pleasant conversations.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

xerxescct

« Reply #724 on: May 04, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »
Well interesting morning for the wife and I. Some may be aware of the commotion in my area with Todd's Guns sponsoring a little league team down here. Todd's sons are on that team. The league had no problem but the coach and some parents did. Well, the wife and I got shirts from Todd's and showed up this morning for the game wearing them and our open carried hand guns. We were just past the gate to the field area when a coach from the other team came over, and said "Very classy, carrying a gun to a base ball game". I smiled, nodded , and replied "Thanks for the compliment" and my wife said thank you. Of course the guy was already walking away, having come over just long enough to try and insult us. Then a bit later while sitting in the bleachers a couple came over to sit. The woman got up behind us, started to sit, noticed our hand guns, and said to her husband "I can't sit here, sorry". So we had that bleacher to ourselves. Now the County Sheriff that was present and the Bedford Township officer didn't even give us a glance. Talked to a a couple other people who were concealed carrying about open carry as they new nothing about it. Those were pleasant conversations.

I believe everyone has the right to their own opinions and feeling about anything so long as it does not intrude on others. Since you were not breaking any laws and no one got hurt then shrugging off the comments like you did is probably what I would have done in the same situation. I know how emotional the debate can be. Not so long ago I was on the other side of the fence and it took education to make me realize I was wrong. If only we could educate everyone or even invite them to the seminars.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #725 on: May 04, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Oced at the Watervliet burger king no one cared....

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #726 on: May 06, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »
Open carried all Saturday morning.  Had a car show i was at for 3 hours, then went to Qdoba in Holland for lunch.  Nobody said a thing.  Funny thing is, 2 of my friends know that i just got my cpl, and were both with me.  1 didn't notice that i was carrying for nearly an hour while we we talking. The other didn't notice at all in a 3 hour period...
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline cadman

« Reply #727 on: May 06, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
OC’ed in Big Rapids last weekend, first went to Applebee’s for dinner with my son and his girlfriend. Sat strong side out to the isle, a few people seemed to notice but no one said anything. Son and girlfriend stayed and talked to college friends and the wife and I left.
Next day my son tells me that their friends figured I was his dad because “He’s packin”.  ;)
Wife and I then went to Walmart with no problems and didn’t even notice a second look.
According to the left wing zealots we have in politics.......
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".

But the acts of a few American crazies is enough to judge all Americans who own guns!

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #728 on: May 06, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
Had a unexpected day off from work so I did some running around. Went to my State Farm agent office, Meijer and my apartment complex office, I don't even think a single person noticed.  Great day   :D

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #729 on: May 11, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »
I carried at my in-laws today, trailor park in Clinton county. I had been out walking the dog, stopping to talk to my brother in laws. Two of them were cc'ing. A sheriff pulled up in front of the house. One of my brother in laws started yelling hes here for you, just give up now. Lol, what a smart a@#! The officer got out of his vehicle, went to another house to take a vandalism complaint. He came over to asked if we heard anything. My strong side was towrds him, not a single glance at the holster and not one word about it. He couldn't have missed that big serpa holster.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Steel Magnolia

• MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
« Reply #730 on: May 17, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »
The Chief of the Wayland Police Department has welcomed open carry in the City of Wayland!!!  He has our tri-fold, is very receptive to OC and has promised to educate all of his officers on the Michigan OC laws both with and without a CPL.  The  businesses in Wayland seem to welcome OC as well.

I have been helping a young lady who is the victim of domestic violence/abuse.  She has 2 children who attend the Wayland schools.  I have been OCing at two of the Elementary Schools for the past 2 weeks and have been warmly welcomed by the principals of both schools. 

Thank you City of Wayland Michigan for your Outstanding reception to OC.
"There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" (or woman).  Winston Churchill

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #731 on: May 17, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
The Chief of the Wayland Police Department has welcomed open carry in the City of Wayland!!!  He has our tri-fold, is very receptive to OC and has promised to educate all of his officers on the Michigan OC laws both with and without a CPL.  The  businesses in Wayland seem to welcome OC as well.

I have been helping a young lady who is the victim of domestic violence/abuse.  She has 2 children who attend the Wayland schools.  I have been OCing at two of the Elementary Schools for the past 2 weeks and have been warmly welcomed by the principals of both schools. 

Thank you City of Wayland Michigan for your Outstanding reception to OC.

Good PR report. Nice to hear he's supportive.
I OC'd at the Y on Wednesday. On my way out I noticed a No Guns graphic on the window near the door. Oh well, guess I don't go inside...sent an email expressing my displeasure. As a nonmember, I'm sure it will be ignored.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #732 on: May 19, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Great stuff Mag!!

I OCed in Celebration South in Grand Rapids last night. The wife and I enjoyed Iron Man 3 without incident. Unless you count paying $10 per ticket as an incident.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #733 on: May 20, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
Great stuff Mag!!

I OCed in Celebration South in Grand Rapids last night. The wife and I enjoyed Iron Man 3 without incident. Unless you count paying $10 per ticket as an incident.

Do you have an NGC theatre in GR?

The one here in Lansing has $5 Tuesdays (doesn't apply to 3D movies though).

-Jason
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #734 on: May 20, 2013, 02:02:04 PM »
Do you have an NGC theatre in GR?

The one here in Lansing has $5 Tuesdays (doesn't apply to 3D movies though).

-Jason

I don't believe we do.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #735 on: May 24, 2013, 08:37:22 PM »
First time open carrying out and about.

Went with my wife and two daughters to the Detroit Zoo for 4 hours. We met a friend and her daughter there. She didn't realize I was carrying until 2 1/2 hours into the trip.

Headed over to Somerset Mall in Troy (Lego store is awesome).

Ended at the Panera Bread at Baldwin and I-75. Sat strong side out. One lady noticed and kept staring at me. 

No one said anything. No children were screaming, no panic ensued.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Briggs

« Reply #736 on: May 25, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
Open carried at the March against Monsanto protest in downtown Kalamazoo. Lots of lookers, informed some on open carry and told them about miopencarry.org After the march while at the park my friends and I were talking and one said "I think that guy told that cop you have a gun", and sure enough the cop started making his way down to my friends and I. When he got closer I saw he was eyeing my gun, but continued past and was standing behind me for a few minutes then he approached us he said "How you guy's doin? pretty peaceful march." To which we agreed, them he eyed my pistol and ask "what ya got there" to which I said "xd 40" and he said "nice" and then he said "ok you all have a nice day".  It was my first time being approached by a cop while open carrying alone. I think it was as good of an interaction with LE as it could be.

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #737 on: May 25, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
Oc'd at the Lane automotive car show. I uncased, loaded and holstered right in front of a mounted sheriff deputy. Not sure if he even noticed. Walked around for a couple hours. My wife heard a woman ask her husband if i at least worked there. No other comment, scared looks or people running away. Like many of you say, i really dont think people even notice. When i returned to my truck i retrived my case, sat it on the grass, put my pistol away(trigger lock and locked case) to turn around and see 5 deputy's. They nodded and stopped traffic so i could back out. Hope oc stays this smooth. I even had a pocket full of tri folds to pass out if i had questions.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #738 on: May 26, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »
Took the bike out and OC'd at Advance Auto parts in Standale and Arnies on Leonard.  NP anywhere.   

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #739 on: May 26, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
Great OC in Houghton Lake today. Went to Spicers, Camping world and Home Depot. Few looks. While having lunch at a Chinese restaurant, a couple at the next table, after I walked by, started talking about OC. I went over to their table, introduced myself and gave them a tri-fold, after some talk about OC, the guy shook my and and said thank you for OCing, and making the public aware that it is OK to see a guy walking around with a pistol exposed.
Really made my day!!!!
North East Michigan Coordinator