Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393294 times)

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #740 on: May 26, 2013, 09:24:40 PM »
OC'd on bike again to Lowes on Plainfield and Cracker Barrel.  NP. 

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #741 on: May 27, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
Opened Carried at Fairlane Towne Ctr. in Dearborn great day.

Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline METL

« Reply #742 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »
Open carried at the March against Monsanto protest in downtown Kalamazoo. Lots of lookers, informed some on open carry and told them about miopencarry.org After the march while at the park my friends and I were talking and one said "I think that guy told that cop you have a gun", and sure enough the cop started making his way down to my friends and I. When he got closer I saw he was eyeing my gun, but continued past and was standing behind me for a few minutes then he approached us he said "How you guy's doin? pretty peaceful march." To which we agreed, them he eyed my pistol and ask "what ya got there" to which I said "xd 40" and he said "nice" and then he said "ok you all have a nice day".  It was my first time being approached by a cop while open carrying alone. I think it was as good of an interaction with LE as it could be.

Yep... nothing wrong with the cop coming over, discretely sizing you up, having a voluntary commentary, then leaving once he establishes nothing is amiss...  that's HIS JOB..  and I thank him for A.) Doing it and B.) Not over stepping. 

Good to report the GOOD interactions with LEOs too...

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #743 on: May 30, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »
I OCed in the Benton Harbor Dunhams to pick up shotgun shells and footwear no issues. I am currently OCing in the Watervliet BK and the only comment so far was "what gun do you have there?" To which I responded smith and wesson 5906. The final comment from the employee was that's nice always like the third gen smiths. So even in the BK you will find knowledgable gun folks!

Other than that just lots of friendly behaviors from everyone!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Manta

« Reply #744 on: June 01, 2013, 12:48:27 AM »
I actually O/C quite a lot... more than I conceal to be honest (with exception to when I'm driving in the cage of course, which is legally considered concealed carry). I have yet to have a bad experience where I had to assert my knowledge of MI carry law *boy, I hope I didn't just jinx myself LOL!* Places where I O/C regularly that it's been noticed and well received are:

**BP Station in Livonia on the corner of 5 Mile Rd and Levan - Singh is there in the morning, when he first noticed my 92FS he was curious as to 'why do you have that?' (referring to my sidearm). I simply told him, "It's a crazy world, my friend, I'm sure you know this. The more good, responsibly armed, people there are walking around, the less chance there is of a criminal getting away with whatever it is they may have planned." He nodded, smiled, and thanked me.

**Chase Bank in Westland on 7550 N. Wayne Rd - I always used to lock my unloaded sidearm in the trunk lock-box before going inside, empty holster, to deposit my paycheck (despite having a CPL and being aware of the interpretation of PFZ's and how they impact O/C for CPL holders). A friend of mine also has a CPL and informed me that he O/C's in his Chase branch all the time, apparently Chase acknowledges and respects MI carry laws. So, I went on a limb and O/C'd today during my usual weekly transaction... they were as friendly as always, made some light small talk, and wished me a good weekend. :)

**Nisreen Smoke Shop in Westland on 240 N. Wayne Road (AKA City Smoker) - The fact that I've been a regular patron here before I even started carrying may have something to do with it, could also be that I've seen others O/C there. Regardless, I've never had a problem carrying in this store. Joe and his staff have always been great! :)

I DO NOT recommend O/C in any MJR cinema! I will not confirm or deny doing it myself  :-X however I do know, via an e-mail response to an inquiry I made, that "It is our policy at MJR Digital Cinemas not to allow firearms into our buildings." ~shrugs~

Offline fsr402

OC in GR today
« Reply #745 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »
OCed at Fox Shawmut Hills for about 40 minutes drooling over some of the bikes and trying on some vented gear for the summer heat. No issues at all, even chatted with a few of the sales guys about my Beretta Nano hanging on my side.
Then a quick stop to the downtown farmers market (wealthy and US131) walked around for about 10 minutes and found what we were looking for. Bought a few things and headed out. No issues and no one said a thing. The security guard walked real close and gave me a little stink eye but said nothing. My wife did not even know I was OC until one of the sales guys at Shawmut asked me what I was carrying. :-) 

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #746 on: June 02, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »
**Chase Bank in Westland on 7550 N. Wayne Rd - I always used to lock my unloaded sidearm in the trunk lock-box before going inside, empty holster, to deposit my paycheck (despite having a CPL and being aware of the interpretation of PFZ's and how they impact O/C for CPL holders)....

You can CC in a bank w/ a CPL as well.  You just can't OC w/o a CPL in a bank.  I OC'd in my 5/3rd bank on Friday, like I often do, w/o issue.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #747 on: June 04, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
OC'ed yesterday at the city of Clio commission meeting. Went there to ask for the removal of their "no weapons except by sworn LEO" posted at the door. They were receptive but seemed like they may ignore my request stating "...as long as it is not enforced." We shall see. I saw several people eyeball my pistol but no issues.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #748 on: June 04, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
I Open Carry at my bank, three or more times a week. Which happens to be Bank Of America. Like what was said with a CPL. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #749 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »
OCed on the bike up to Grandville for the fundraiser dinner at Big Boy. Nice 120 mile round trip. Passed quite a few LEOs on the trip and was followed by a few on the way home. Several thumbs up and waves no issues. Stopped for gas in Allegan had a nice gun conversation with the attendant. She carries a Bersa . Nice night for a ride.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #750 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
Open carried my Beretta 9mm while riding my Harley. Was followed by a Burton cop for a while, but no problems. Later my wife and I were in Tim Horton's in Fenton like usual. This day there were a lot of white haired, retired types in the place. After being there for about 20 min. the MSP rolls into the parking lot. It was unusual to see them here, I'm thinking. They came in and I had my wife watch them as she was sitting in their direction. I was getting ready mentally for an encounter. I'm guessing that either the manager or a patron made a 911 call on me. They sat two tables away and my wife said that the one looked directly at me (my magazine side) while talking into his shirt microphone. They took 10 min to finish their coffee and left. I had my msp update 86 at the ready by I didn't have my recorder. It was a close call.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #751 on: June 05, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Open carried my Beretta 9mm while riding my Harley. Was followed by a Burton cop for a while, but no problems. Later my wife and I were in Tim Horton's in Fenton like usual. This day there were a lot of white haired, retired types in the place. After being there for about 20 min. the MSP rolls into the parking lot. It was unusual to see them here, I'm thinking. They came in and I had my wife watch them as she was sitting in their direction. I was getting ready mentally for an encounter. I'm guessing that either the manager or a patron made a 911 call on me. They sat two tables away and my wife said that the one looked directly at me (my magazine side) while talking into his shirt microphone. They took 10 min to finish their coffee and left. I had my msp update 86 at the ready by I didn't have my recorder. It was a close call.
I live near that Fenton Tim Horton's. never go there but OC around there every day. yesterday I OC in Huntington Bank in Meijer hartland. no problems. I'm sure you don't need to pull #86 on MSP. they know it WELL. had an encounter with a MSP motor carrier officer that was what you think an encounter should be. he didn't have a problem with it at all and liked to see it.
I have been getting several people approach me asking about oc. glad to tell them all about it. people know it exists but don't know the laws and say they never see anybody do it. I know for SURE I have got 5 people into oc and regurlarly do it. I have sent at least 20 people to this website. I have given out at least 15 MSP #86.
I may be in a minority but I think we are at the point we are pushing for as far as LEO acceptance. they all know the legality and know they have no legal grounds to even approach. more like it than hate it. the public takes a little more reassurance but every idiot shooting spree on the news sets us back years. I got kicked out of a target a few days after Gabriel Gifford got shot in Arizona. a target store I have OC in dozens of times. keep up the the good work guys and girls.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline fsr402

« Reply #752 on: June 05, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
OC in Taco Bell in Jenison tonight. The place was packed and a good 15 minute wait. Had a nice chat with an older guy that has a cpl but did not know oc was even legal. I pointed him here for more information. Hope he shows up.  He was happy to see me OC. Said he felt safer knowing I was packing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:26:16 PM by fsr402 »

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #753 on: June 05, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
OC'd for a walk around the neighborhood tonight with the wife, 2 daughters, and our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. 

We crested a hill to see a group of people suffering from Nosey Neighbor Syndrome while a LEO was on a call a few houses up.  One of the neighbors had an unleashed dog out with her.  Which proceeded to come running after my dog with the owner yelling "He's gentle, he won't hurt you."  The dog was probably twice the size of my dog and heavier than my two year old.  I kept between her dog and us and tried to push it away.  When she came to grab her dog, she saw it.  Her eyes got really big and she scurried away.  Now my dog is crying and yelping.

The LEO is sitting in his car facing us.  His dash cam would have caught the incident had it been rolling.  We proceed on our walk, dog still excited, right past the LEO.  He leans toward his open window says, "Nice guard dog you got there."  I replied with a "Yeah... right" and kept walking.  Don't know if he didn't notice or didn't care.

Finished the walk without incident.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline METL

« Reply #754 on: June 07, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
I don't mean to discourage anyone from OCing... but if I see someone OCing a LCP or beretta nano or other pocket pistol, I'm going to make fun of them...  lol....     

If you're gonna OC, OC a full sized pistol.   ;)

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
« Reply #755 on: June 07, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
LOL Good idea, make fun of someone carrying a loaded gun.. ;D...as long as they have one I don't think size matters.  ;)

Offline abrknight

« Reply #756 on: June 07, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
I'm relatively new to open carry, but have been doing it more regularly recently. I live in west Ann Arbor and regularly OC while taking my kids for walks around the neighborhood and have never had a negative encounter. In fact, what I thought was going to be one, actually turned out to be a guy who was genuinely curious and thinking about purchasing his first hand gun due to some recent home invasions.

Besides that I regularly carry in Kroger, and today OC'ed at 53rd bank for the first time. I also OC in Meijer and the local liquor store. On the few occasions that someone has said something it's always been positive.

I've dabbled with OC downtown but it's a very tricky area as U of M owns a lot of the real estate and leases it to local businesses.

Anyway, I always enjoy reading the experiences of other so I thought I'd share.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #757 on: June 08, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
OC'd around town last night at the Vicksburg car show. No issues. A few looks and some comments that I didn't catch all of once I passed.

I walked the dog and on the way home, she pooped on a parking lot that will have high walking traffic. I forgot plastic bag, so took the dog home and walked back to get it. I went to Speedway to wash my hands.

I then went to the Farmer's Market before it closed, as I don't usually get home early enough to check it out.

I bought some beefalo and the husband of the couple asked about my gun. He has a CPL and got it several years ago, and was flat out told that any show of the gun was a no no. His wife is waiting on her CPL to arrive. First time anyone has asked.

Then on the way home, about two block from home two guys on the front porch of a nice big old house by the lake. As I walk in front I nod. When I get to the part of the sidewalk that leaves their yard and goes into the next, one of them shouts, "BANG!, BANG!" I'm sure I jumped a bit. I kept walking, as this took me by surprise, and I could not think of a good response. I did have a split second to realize it was an idiot and stopped my hand going where it shouldn't. I don't know the people who live here, but they will be seeing more of me walking by, since that is the route I take to walk the trail north of town. Not sure if the guy lives there or not.

Anyone ever have an encounter like that with an idiot?

I still can't think of what to say. All I can think of is that trying to speak wisdom to a fool is folly. Also as my back was turned, I don't know which one said it.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #758 on: June 08, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
I don't mean to discourage anyone from OCing... but if I see someone OCing a LCP or beretta nano or other pocket pistol, I'm going to make fun of them...  lol....     

If you're gonna OC, OC a full sized pistol.   ;)

Yeah, anything less than a full size 1911 Government in 45ACP is silly..... ::)
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #759 on: June 08, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
All over town several times today at the Vicksburg Old Car Festival and no problems.

Only two comments on my gun, both of which lead to positive conversations.

Several LEOs passed me, or I passed them, not a word from them.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown