Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393073 times)

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #780 on: July 05, 2013, 09:14:09 AM »
Oc'd at west main osthemo menards for 2 hours yesterday. No issues except the big dent to the savings account.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #781 on: July 13, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
I got out and about today. I find i am open carrying more than I conceal.

Working on putting a stereo in the new car. So I OC'd at:
Harbor Freight in Pontiac
Home Depot in Pontiac
Mickey Shorr in Keego Harbor and Waterford
ACO Hardware in Waterford on M59

No issues anywhere with the pistol. I did notice Home Depot has a sign that says "No Cameras and no tape recorders."  So my phone wasn't recording there. 
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #782 on: July 13, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
I OC everywhere I go and I can't recall when the last time was I had a comment.  Granted, I work from home so I don't get out and about nearly as often as most people.  ;D

No issues anywhere with the pistol. I did notice Home Depot has a sign that says "No Cameras and no tape recorders."  So my phone wasn't recording there.

I have never noticed that sign but then I don't ever stop on my way in to stores looking for signs of any type.  My DVR is running 24/7 once I leave the house and if I saw that sign it wouldn't cause me to shut off my voice recorder IMO, since it carries no weight of law AFAIK.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #783 on: July 13, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »
I have never noticed that sign but then I don't ever stop on my way in to stores looking for signs of any type.  My DVR is running 24/7 once I leave the house and if I saw that sign it wouldn't cause me to shut off my voice recorder IMO, since it carries no weight of law AFAIK.

Probably carries the same weight as the no guns sign. Trespass charge.

On topic, my Glock is strapped to my hip as I'm crawling around my car in the driveway. None of my neighbors have ever said anything.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline fsr402

« Reply #784 on: July 15, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »
OC'ed at New Beginnings in Hudsonville Saturday morning. Have done this many times and no issues. As I'm sitting there I see a guy in his early 20's come walking in with what looks to be his father, brother and little sister wearing a shoulder rig. They sat in a booth across from me. I was watching him trying to figure out what he was carrying. He kept glancing over at me and I'm sure he thought I was eying him because I saw the gun and was not happy about it. LOL.
When the wife and I went to leave I made sure I stood next to the table looking at the bill with my strong side to him. I then turned to walk out, looked at him and he was looking at me. We nodded approval to each other and on I went. Another good day OCing in West MI.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:04:16 PM by fsr402 »

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #785 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »

When the wife and I went to leave I made sure I stood next to the table looking at the bill with my strong side to him.
Why?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
« Reply #786 on: July 15, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I wondered why he didn't just ask him what he was carrying instead of just looking at him...I would have just asked I guess.

Offline harleyh77

« Reply #787 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
I got my cpl in the mail saturday. I oc'd all over Kalamazoo during the weekend. Went into a couple different walmarts, meijer, arbys, texas corral, all with no issues. The assistant manager at walmart did a triple take and said, "nice!"
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
« Reply #788 on: July 16, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
I got my cpl in the mail saturday. I oc'd all over Kalamazoo during the weekend. Went into a couple different walmarts, meijer, arbys, texas corral, all with no issues. The assistant manager at walmart did a triple take and said, "nice!"

Congrats on the CPL...Walmart's company policy is to follow all state laws regarding carrying. I work at one, I asked our AP guy about carrying as a customer since I'm an employee there, just wanted to make sure there was nothing in the policy about employees carrying off the clock, he said " you can't OC once you have a CPL", I said "what? yes you can!"...lol. He said he didn't think it would be an issue if I carried as a customer.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #789 on: July 19, 2013, 02:22:26 PM »
OC @ Gearheads, 5/3 bank, microcenter, Bangkok cuisine, sterling square liquor. Only comment was at party store. He asked if it was legal but didn't seem to believe me.

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #790 on: July 25, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
Mercy Hospital, Port Huron.
Company policy (?) No firearms.
Will secure firearm upon request (?)

About an hour into my business, security entered the classroom and asked for a moment of my time. Asked if I was PD (I'm not) then told me my gun was not allowed. I asked "company policy?" and began getting an explanation of the law enforcement exemption to possession law. Not being the time and place to debate, I simply asked if the hospital had a secure location to store the firearm as I don't like leaving it in the truck.

To my pleasant surprise they did. I won't put many details online, but I was very impressed with the setup of the secure location. I also now had a few minutes to get acquainted with the gentleman and even got a nice malfunction clearing tip as well as a complement on my firearm. He was being just as respectful to me as I was to him so I wasn't going to go into a set of questions just yet. I would have my opportunity when I retrieved my property later.

I finished my business there and went to the truck to grab a few brochures for my planned conversation. To my pleasant surprise he had a fresh printout of the MSP legal update prepared for me to show me how I was in violation of the law. He even went so far as to highlight the portion that prohibits firearms in a hospital for me. I simply stated that there is another exemption, anyone with a valid concealed pistol license. I could almost see the lightbulb glow as he read it and said he was going to review it further :-)

I left my brochures along with a respectful suggestion for staff training and was given a business card. I am excited and optomistic about the possibility of not having to disarm myself the next time I have business there!
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #791 on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
OC'd at the Bloomfield Hills Outback Steakhouse last night. OC'd at the White Lake Walmart, Dairy Queen, and Waterford Meijer last Saturday. 

No issues.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #792 on: July 29, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »
OC'ing all over as usual. Went to the Detroit Zoo a couple days ago, OC'ed the whole day. No issues, a few looks and I heard a few comments. Did have a security guard ride his bike back to the giraffes where we were. He got off his bike and stayed in the area I was at for 10-15 minutes then never saw him again.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline harleyh77

« Reply #793 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Oc'd many places this weekend in Kalamazoo. Besides a couple people having their eyes bug out of their heads when they saw the gun, no issues.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #794 on: July 31, 2013, 11:28:09 PM »
First time OCing in Lansing. Went to the McDonalds at Okemos and Jolly before starting the house search.

OC'd at the Speedway in Waterford on the way home.

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #795 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
Had a great time OCing around Lewiston on Saturday. Had some great conversations with some fine folks about OC. Got some air time on a local radio station (about 10 minutes) Host, Jim Miller, said he had interviewed Brian Jeffs some time ago. They will give me air time any time I can get to the station. Had a woman come up and ask for a tri-fold and as I pointed out the web site, she said " Good, I will let them know how disgusting you are" She spun around and marched off like General Patton.  Of coarse, wanting to be polite, I said Thank you. LOL. Oh well, you can't make everybody happy.
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #796 on: August 04, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
She's going to let MOC know how disgusting you are?  What did you do?   :P

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #797 on: August 04, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
She's going to let MOC know how disgusting you are?  What did you do?   :P
Just walking around watching TJ's son and granddaughter play on the midway. OR maybe it was the beans I had the night before. LOL ;D
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #798 on: August 04, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
OC'd last week at the Southfield Best Buy.  Was there for over an hour.  The only issue was the employee getting confused with two ipads, two different sizes, one with Verizon, one without.

Went to the Fazoli's in Lansing today.  A young boy came into the restroom as I was washing my hands.  He stared at my pistol the entire way to the stall, then stood in the door and stared at me as I dried and exited.  A shady (tank top, prison tats, etc) character noticed it in line and was obvious when we told his buddy I had a pistol.  No one said anything directly to me.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #799 on: August 05, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »
I wondered why he didn't just ask him what he was carrying instead of just looking at him...I would have just asked I guess.
He was seated a good 25-30 feet from me, not like he was in the next booth. I also had places I needed to be and did not have time to chat. The standing and looking at my bill to give him time to see I was OC also was maybe 10-15 seconds.
Now from what I could see of his gun I would say it was a Ruger sr22.