Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393270 times)

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #800 on: August 06, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
sunday I OC in my bank located in a Meijer store. I have done this several times before but not really sure if they noticed or not. I approach a chest high counter and they approach after I walk up. don't think they see until I leave. yes I have a CPL. this day I walk up to deposit a check. the young clerk asks me about it and says he never sees anybody OC and that he has a CPL. I said I wish everybody did it. he said his class wasn't very informative. I tried in our couple minute conversation to educate him as best I could. another customer waiting stopped the conversation. wrote down the applicable law MCL's and left. makes my day to educate rather than leave people wondering.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #801 on: August 10, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
OC'd at Great Lakes Crossing tonight.  Two security guards saw it, neither said a word.  My wife caught one of the guards doing a double-take after she (the guard) saw it.  Lots of other mall-goers did double takes too, a few stared.  No issues though.

My CPL instructor told the class that Taubman Centers prohibits firearms at their malls and that Bass Pro Shops only has an exception for the store and the parking spots directly behind the BPS.  It's not in the rules at GLC and there isn't a gun-buster at common entrances.  There was more that he was wrong about, but nothing too egregious.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #802 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
Made it through Meijer on Gull rd in Kalamazoo with no looks or whispers until checkout. The cashier told me my gun looks really freaky,but at least I was safe. I responded with, I dont mean to startle anyone, i am glad you afe aware of what is around you. That is the first step in being safe. She went on to tell me that she has two young boys, 3 and 4 years old and would never allow gun around them. I left the conversation at that end. Maybe if I have another conversation with her i could mention that carrying a gun is more about staying alive for your loved ones than anything else.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #803 on: August 12, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
She went on to tell me that she has two young boys, 3 and 4 years old and would never allow gun around them.
I'm discovering that challenging misbeliefs with questions is pretty effective.

Who is going to protect them from someone intent on harming your children?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #804 on: August 13, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »
OC'd at the Bank of America on M59 near Cass, then to the Waterford Department of Public Works, then to the Waterford Police Department to drop off an RI-60. Finally, ended up at the Biggby Coffee at M59 and Airport.

No issues. The desk sergeant didn't even look up as I walked in to drop off the form.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #805 on: August 17, 2013, 12:21:42 PM »
OC'ing right now at the dream cruise near mustang alley. No issues so far.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #806 on: August 18, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »
open carried at the Overpasses to Impeach Nobama gathering. The organizers for these events want ONLY conceal carry, so as not to make guns the topic over the purpose of being there. I complied but I didn't like being infringed by their organization. It was on exit 131/I75 Clio exit. I'll be looking for a mesh shirt that you can see through for the next one.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #807 on: August 18, 2013, 09:17:04 PM »

open carried at the Overpasses to Impeach Nobama gathering. The organizers for these events want ONLY conceal carry, so as not to make guns the topic over the purpose of being there. I complied but I didn't like being infringed by their organization. It was on exit 131/I75 Clio exit. I'll be looking for a mesh shirt that you can see through for the next one.

I was invited to one of these. I didn't go just for this reason.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #808 on: August 18, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Got out quite a bit today... OC'd at:
Speedway @ Cass and Elizabeth Lake Rd
Waterford Meijer
White Lake Lowes
Bloomfield Target
Commerce Twp Walmart
Commerce Twp Sonic's

No issues anywhere.

Offline Closing the Gap

« Reply #809 on: August 21, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
My wife waited until she got her CPL to OC for the first time yesterday. We went to Autozone in White Lake, Joe's Army Navy in Waterford, Wendy's in White Lake, The AT&T store in White Lake and Meijer in White Lake. All with no incidents or people running away screaming. She was nervous but after the second stop the nerves went completely away. She carried her Beretta 92fs Inox I bought her for completing her CPL requirements.  :)

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #810 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Last friday I went to Welston/Tippy damn area to vist my grandma. Along the way we stopped at Newago Wendys, M37/M55 gas station, Ithica Burger King. Then in Owosso to visit my parents, oc'ed at my insurance agent, Walmart, Hardee's. When leaving Hardees a couple guys from Lansing stopped to talk. They couldn't believe oc is legal, said they see some questionable people doing it in lansing and just thought they were thugs. They left more educated. Then home to Kzoo, stopped by Poterville BP for snacks. OC'd yesterday at Menards, Meijer, Lowes, Texas Corral, TSC, Carter Lumber, Sec of State and a pizza hut in there one of the days too over the weekend. No issues anywhere. I did notice some looks but that doesn't bother me at all.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #811 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
Questionable?  I do not look like a thug. 

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #812 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »
Questionable?  I do not look like a thug. 

Looks aren't everything!    :P

Offline RnSdriver

« Reply #813 on: August 24, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
While OC'ing at Best Buy I spotted a lady pushing a cart across the parking lot, as she pasted in front of our car I noticed a semi-auto in a serpa holster. I saw where she was getting ready to load her box into her van and I stopped to say hello. She got a big smile on her face when I said that I was glad to see that I was not the only one OC'ing in the store.

She was the first person I have OC'ing in the Muskegon area besides myself.

We also went to Starbucks today and that place was packed. So much for the boycott! !
I prefer Liberty and Danger over peace and slavery.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #814 on: August 24, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »
While OC'ing at Best Buy I spotted a lady pushing a cart across the parking lot, as she pasted in front of our car I noticed a semi-auto in a serpa holster. I saw where she was getting ready to load her box into her van and I stopped to say hello. She got a big smile on her face when I said that I was glad to see that I was not the only one OC'ing in the store.

We also went to Starbucks today and that place was packed. So much for the boycott! !
There was a boycott today?  I'm so glad I stopped there today then!

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #815 on: August 24, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
Went to the Starbucks in Jackson to support today's boycott. Don't care for the coffee but I'll support their approach to the issue.

Also open carried at the Meijer on Jackson's west side.

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #816 on: August 25, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
I was invited to one of these. I didn't go just for this reason.
+1
Claim to be a pro 2A group, but only if you CC???????? Had a BIG discussion on their FB site! Told them I cannot participate in their rallies if they are going to enforce GUN CONTROL!
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #817 on: August 31, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »
Went on vacation last week to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Did lots of OC'ing, not a single issue.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #818 on: September 01, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
OC at royal oak arts, beats and eats today. HUGE non issue. not a single problem. LEOs everywhere. not a word from anybody good or bad. I felt invisible.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #819 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »

Been OC'ing in Muskegon a bit this summer.  Lowes, Mr. B's, Babbitts, the Station Grill, various gas stations. ..... Yesterday I OC'd in Home Depot and Walgreens.  Never a problem anywhere.