Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 392900 times)

Offline METL

Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #820 on: September 05, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
Made it through Meijer on Gull rd in Kalamazoo with no looks or whispers until checkout. The cashier told me my gun looks really freaky,but at least I was safe. I responded with, I dont mean to startle anyone, i am glad you afe aware of what is around you. That is the first step in being safe. She went on to tell me that she has two young boys, 3 and 4 years old and would never allow gun around them. I left the conversation at that end. Maybe if I have another conversation with her i could mention that carrying a gun is more about staying alive for your loved ones than anything else.

Ask her what she would do if 1 or 2 large dogs attacked her and her children?

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #821 on: September 07, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
While open carrying I went bought an American flag came home and hung it off my back balcony.  My son asked me why I was hanging the flag and I told him this is the greatest country there is.  He said is that why you can carry a gun and I said you Betcha. It was awesome.  To any vets that are out there thank you for your hard work and sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #822 on: September 07, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
While open carrying I went bought an American flag came home and hung it off my back balcony.  My son asked me why I was hanging the flag and I told him this is the greatest country there is.  He said is that why you can carry a gun and I said you Betcha. It was awesome.  To any vets that are out there thank you for your hard work and sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Land of the free because of the brave.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #823 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »

Land of the free because of the brave.

+1

OC'd at Bass Pro Shop and the Chili's at Great Lakes Crossing
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Closing the Gap

« Reply #824 on: September 08, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
OC'd at BPS and to the DQ(enjoyed our Ice creams with the kids at the food court) at GLC yesterday with no issues. Also OC'd in Huntington Bank on M59 in Waterford. The teller did a double take but said nothing while explaining the benefits of their new CC. Also went to Dunhams in Waterford and had 2 separate good conversations on the merits of OC. Lastly OC'd in White Lake Walmart with no issues.

Offline hevymetal

« Reply #825 on: September 08, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »
Been a long couple of weeks. Nothing to really report. Been OCing during the daily routine and nothing out of the ordinary. Today was a little interesting though took the family and attended the Richmond Good Days parade and festival.

We arrived early to get good parking and seats for the parade. Went and had a most awesome breakfast at the local Mason hall. I am a member there so no comments or looks since everyone knows I carry. Had some time to kill before the parade so we walked down to the fairgrounds to check out the flea market. Had quite a few stares from the vendors and actually had two ask me if my firearm was real. I chuckled and responded "Yes".

We were walking by the Macomb Sherrifs mobile command center parked up on the grass. There happened to be a rather large group of officers and several "Reserve" deputies standing outside as we passed by. I heard one of the reserves say "Hey look, he's got a gun. I'm gonna go stop him". To which another officer responded "You can't, he's not doing anything wrong". To which he replied "He can't just walk around here with a gun like that". As we walked further away the officer started to explain the legality of OC to the reserve saying "Yes he can......." Then I was out range of hearing the rest of the conversation.

It was a good feeling knowing that at least some law enforcement is aware of the legality of OC and is trying to instill it upon others who don't. Passed by at least thirty or more officers during my day at the fair and parade and not a word was said to me :) Infact one even helped my mother across the street while I was getting her a soda from the store. As I exited he smiled glanced at my firearm said "Ah nice a Sig". "Have a good day and enjoy yourselves". All in all a good day.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »
OC'd at the Apple Fest in Silver Lake Saturday afternoon.  Walked the strip with all the cars & vendors, walked the food booth area, and back to parking.  No comments, no stares, no issues.  I suspect that everyone else was looking at the cars and buggies instead of looking at an old fart walking with a gun.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #827 on: September 15, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
Open carrying at the Dundee Cabela's.  Come see the booth if you are in the area.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #828 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
I came, I saw, I even sat down for 10 minutes :)

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #829 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:43 PM »
OCed the new gun range & store in Grand Rapids, Barracks 616. Located just off 28th St & Kraft Ave, they just opened today. Pretty decent selection for a small start up, locally owned, really nice indoor range. Can take anything up to a 50 cal; sweet.

The usual restrictions are in place for the range (no steel, no reloads, no AP).

Really great folks, VERY OC friendly; Steel Magnolia is working on setting up a seminar there.

Let's support our locally owned businesses!

http://barracks616.com/
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #830 on: September 20, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »
OCd at the speedway at Elizabeth lake and Cass lake roads. Got a stare and a nod from the guy in the car next to me.

Went to the Sherman-Williams in Bloomfield Hills. A guy looking at paint with his wife looked at me excitedly and said, "Is that a Glock?"  To which I said, "why yes it is!"  The next words out of his mouth are "I wanna get me one of those." His wife's eyes rolled so fast I thought they went all the way around.

Good times, no issues.

(BTW, if you are looking for paint, Sherman-Williams is 40% off until Monday.)

Offline RnSdriver

« Reply #831 on: September 20, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »
OC'ed at Wing Doozy in Grand Rapids today. I was the only there when I walked in. The guy behind the counter  shook my hand when he saw I had a pistol on my hip.
I prefer Liberty and Danger over peace and slavery.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #832 on: September 22, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
Home Depot - Canton, Young man approached me, shook my hand and congratulated me on OC, stating he wished more people would do that and eliminate the stigma... although I noticed, but did not comment he wasn't open carrying.

He was unfamiliar with our organization, so I suggested he might want to visit the site.

Offline Kutter616

« Reply #833 on: September 23, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
OC at the Ottawa County Sheriffs office today while I dropped off my Pistol Sales Record.
Not a word said by anyone, not even a glance... as it should be.
Gun control zealots believe that persons who would commit violent crimes would never violate a gun law.

NSA, the only branch of government that's listening!

Offline Kutter616

« Reply #834 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
OC today at the Mobil gas station in Zeeland and the did some shopping at the Wal-Mart in Holland.
Nobody freaked, let along noticed.

As it should be...
Gun control zealots believe that persons who would commit violent crimes would never violate a gun law.

NSA, the only branch of government that's listening!

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #835 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »
Off today having Breakfast at George's Coney. Open Carrying all day next stop ABC Warehouse.  Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline dmd7765

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dave
« Reply #836 on: September 28, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
Walmart and FedEx in Novi, Bates at 9 mile at Middlebelt,
molon labe!!
MOC Member
MGO Member

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #837 on: September 28, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »
got snubbed by another OCer... Friday night 11pm gas station on milford road in new Hudson. while leaving the gas station store heading back to my jeep I saw a couple by the gas pump get off a Harley and were talking but he seemed a little upset about something. I stopped and said "hey open carry. I like to see that"...pointing to my sig rig. he very curtly said "yeah. you got to. people are crazy"..i agreed and he turned and walked away. guess I caught him at a bad time.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #838 on: September 28, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
From your description it doesn't sound like he snubbed you, although agree it sounds like he was preoccupied with something else so wasn't interested in chatting. 

Offline fsr402

« Reply #839 on: October 03, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
OC'ed at the Rush Creak Bistro in Jenison last night. Well actually we go there a few times a month and I always oc there. The only difference last night was someone actually seen it or at least reacted to it.
We were almost done with the meal and had been there at least an hour. Our server was walking past and then she stopped, looking at my right hip, she steps closer, leans down to get a better look. I look at her and she says "is that a gun?" I say "yes" she says  "is it real?" Me "yes". Her "is it loaded?" I say "yes". Her " why do you have a gun?" I say "for personal protection, it's my legal right to do so and I'm to fat to run away".
She smiled and then asked if I would shoot someone if she asked me to. I told her that I would not do that.
We chatted a little bit about shooting at the Silver Bullet and she about wanting to get a gun. I told her about a woman only class at the Silver Bullet and she was really interested in checking it out.

On our way out the door she said good night and "you be good". I said that I'm always good. :-)
All in all a good night, good food and no one went running away in fear.