Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393326 times)

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #840 on: October 07, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »
Sorry guys, as I was walking into Meijers, I pulled my shirt over the firearm.  Guy behind me said, good idea, and I was so exhausted I didn't even respond.  Had my slower than a turtle mother in law in tow, and literally was not in the mood nor frame of mind to deal even with a simple comment.

Offline 91 whiskey

« Reply #841 on: October 08, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
28th and Kalamazoo Meijer last night about 2330.   I was standing in line waiting to check out and an older woman in a scooter asked me if I felt safer carrying a firearm.   I told her that I didn't feel any more or less safe carrying.   She then said she was  asking because she wondered why I had to "show my firearm like that".   I explained that having it uncovered makes it easier to access in the event that it is needed.   I don't know if she was satisfied with that or just didn't know what to think but she scooted away and I checked out. :)
Elephants and Asses
Screwing The Masses.

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #842 on: October 21, 2013, 12:27:33 AM »
Had a great weekend, took my wife out for sweetest day to texas corral in Kalamazoo. Ran into another oc'er, I didn't get his name and honestly took me by surprise when he shook my hand. I'm sure we will bump into each other again. I rode the city bus with my buddy(the driver.) A passenger asked me if it was real and if I was a cop. I got a knuckle bump for knowing my rights. Then had a conversation with another driver, she wants to get her cpl. We have a range day planned and she wants me to ride with her on her route on the north side. Then i chatted a bit with a guy at the gas pump. Five minutes later inside the store a young lady stopped to talk and wanted to know how hard it is to get a cpl. Also had lunch at five guys burgers, my wife had people glaring at her then look at my gun. But when I turn around I didn't see anyone glaring. Go figure!
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #843 on: October 23, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »
OC'd the Glock 17 with an additional 2 17rd mags on the other hip instead of the usual Glock 26.  Felt a little weird having 63 rounds on me.  Got a few more stares than normal, but no issues.

Went to the Cedar St. Lowe's, over to Bob Evans on American Rd.  Sat strong side out during dinner.  Stopped at the Speedway on the way home.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #844 on: October 27, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
my first store request to leave in a long time. mc sports brighton. was looking around making my way back to the firearms OC of course. store employee asks if I needed help. said looking for a belt or fanny pack or something for jogging that will hold my wallet and sig firmly. he asked if I had it on me. he clearly must not have saw it. I pointed to it and he said they didn't allow loaded firearms and it would have to be checked in or brought out. then asked if it were loaded. I said yes of course...not much good unloaded. he said he had more to show me after I disposed of the weapon. just said no problem and left the store.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline m9130

• First Name (Displayed): Jim
« Reply #845 on: October 27, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
I used to work for MC Sports.  That is not their policy.  The policy is to follow state law.  I would contact corporate. 

Offline fsr402

« Reply #846 on: October 28, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
I used to work for MC Sports.  That is not their policy.  The policy is to follow state law.  I would contact corporate.

Yup I OC at MC Sports often. From my understanding from talking with an employe is that the workers can not carry but customers can.

Call and report it. 

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #847 on: October 28, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
Employee was wrong contact the store manager it will be sorted shortly.

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline kush452

• First Name (Displayed): Matthew
« Reply #848 on: October 30, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Today was my first open carry experience and it went smooth. I had called up to Radioshack to confirm they had what I was looking for. I proceeded to ask them if they had any problem with myself open carrying while in there store.  She said as long as you had your license there is no problem. I do not have my CPL currently but do plan to start the process of getting it soon. I had to walk over a mile to get to the store on foot. and no problems.
  • One guy said "Can I have your gun?" I respond with a laugh and a no.
  • A couple was walking down the street and she looked at it and didn't say anything or look strange
  • The guy behind the counter did look a little nervous at first but once I began talking about the product with the woman helping me he eased up
  • Dad and Mom do not agree with open carrying

Further note: It was a great experience until my dad said I was going to far with this whole thing. His only point was that he feels like it was and is wrong. it can make people uncomfortable. While I don't seek to make people uncomfortable I strongly feel that protecting my-self is paramount despite all odd I wont ever have to use a weapon in that manner. But odds are odds and you never know when you can become a statistic.  It was a strange feeling at first but it quickly defused and wasn't strange anymore. I was still thinking about it pretty much the whole time and I thought of a question that pertains to open carry without a CPL.

Thanks to all the members that make up this website. You have started to give me the understanding of my rights and how to apply them in a lawful manner. Thanks again for the help.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #849 on: October 30, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »

My father doesn't approve either.  He came over to my house; I wasn't going to cover just because he doesn't like firearms for personal protection.  My house, my rules. 

His house, his rules.  I conceal and he's taken a "Don't ask, Don't tell" approach.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #850 on: October 31, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »
...... I proceeded to ask them if they had any problem with myself open carrying while in there store.  She said as long as you had your license there is no problem. I do not have my CPL currently but do plan to start the process of getting it soon. .......

No need to ever ask IMO.  I have been OCing for 3.5 years and never called to ask a store if it's OK.  As long as they don't have a liquor license (since you don't have a CPL) and it isn't posted or a PFZ you are G2G.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #851 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
Hopefully the more you OC, the less your parents will worry about it.  They could get comfortable with it and not have a problem in the long run. 

I had some pretty "ANTI" friends until we had some debates over firearms and pending laws, that combined with taking them shooting, completely changed their mind.

Transforming someone that said "nobody needs an AR-15 PERIOD" to "when do I get to shoot it" is wonderful :)  I know you're not talking about an AR, but the point is that they may come to the light side of the force one day.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #852 on: November 03, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »
Today was my first open carry experience and it went smooth. I had called up to Radioshack to confirm they had what I was looking for. I proceeded to ask them if they had any problem with myself open carrying while in there store.  She said as long as you had your license there is no problem. I do not have my CPL currently but do plan to start the process of getting it soon. I had to walk over a mile to get to the store on foot. and no problems.
  • A couple was walking down the street and she looked at it and didn't say anything or look strange
  • The guy behind the counter did look a little nervous at first but once I began talking about the product with the woman helping me he eased up

Further note: It was a great experience until my dad said I was going to far with this whole thing. His only point was that he feels like it was and is wrong. it can make people uncomfortable. While I don't seek to make people uncomfortable I strongly feel that protecting my-self is paramount despite all odd I wont ever have to use a weapon in that manner. But odds are odds and you never know when you can become a statistic.  It was a strange feeling at first but it quickly defused and wasn't strange anymore. I was still thinking about it pretty much the whole time and I thought of a question that pertains to open carry without a CPL.

Thanks to all the members that make up this website. You have started to give me the understanding of my rights and how to apply them in a lawful manner. Thanks again for the help.

I'm probably your dad's age, and I OC everywhere. Go figure....
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #853 on: November 03, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
I was at Dicks Sporting Goods today talking to a guy who was a police reserve in Inkster.  I asked if many people open carry there, he said "No, pretty much if you open carry there you are doing something wrong" he then said "My problem with open carry is if you're in a 7-11 and someone comes in to rob the place and sees you with a gun, you're going to get shot first"  I said "Or, he sees you with a gun and decides to go rob somewhere else instead"

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #854 on: November 04, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
OC'd at -

• Panera Bread in Ann Arbor
  • Meijer in Ann Arbor/Saline
  • Sidetrack Grill in Ypsilanti (Depot Town)

No problems, as usual.  I was standing in line in Panera and noticed an older woman not taking her eye off of it.  She maintained at least 4 feet distance between us, in a crowded line.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #855 on: November 04, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
Today was my first open carry experience and it went smooth. I had called up to Radioshack to confirm the had what I was looking for. I proceeded to ask them if they had any problem with myself open carrying while in there store.  She said as long as you had your license there is no problem. I do not have my CPL currently but do plan to start the process of getting it soon. I had to walk over a mile to get to the store on foot. and no problems.

not trying to be a jerk, but why would you call and ask if they allow a legal activity? would you have called and asked if you could wear a green shirt, or a purple tie? over time i've learned that asking permission is just an excuse for them to say no, but if you just carry and don't ask, 99.9% of the time no one will care or say anything. just my opinion, but i know many other that feel the same way about asking permission to OC.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #856 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
OC'd tonight with my hard chrome full size 1911 and SPARTAN GREEN Pearl grips!  ;D  Ate dinner at Arnies on Leonard - no looks or comments.   Then on to Meijers on Alpine.  99% no looks or comments.   As I was examining granola bars on the lower shelf a young fella like me  ;) asked, "Are you using the "open carry" law or carrying under the CPL law?"  I starred at him for a bit trying to understand what he meant by the open carry law but decided not to split hairs with him so I just said, "Meijers sells liquor.  It would be illegal for me to carry in here without a CPL."  His response, "Thats right.  I was a law enforcement officer for 32 years."  My reply, "So you knew the answer.  You were just making sure I knew."    Turns out he is retired from Kent County Sheriff and now works security at a school … says that he isn't allowed to carry at school so I said that I could visit him and open carry at school.  "Yes, but we would treat it as a man with a gun and go into lock down."  So I said, "That would be upsetting for everyone.  I wish concealed carry was allowed at schools.  That wouldn't create such a disturbance.  But I believe that having guns at schools is a good thing."     

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #857 on: November 05, 2013, 11:31:14 PM »
A Test! :D

---

My experience today:

Exactly 1 week ago, my wife left the car unlocked in the parking lot of our apartment complex in Ann Arbor, and somebody took that opportunity to see if something was of worth in there.

We don't have much in the car other than CD's, so the thief took something that looked of most value.  What they took was my very first holster, for my .45.  Crappy nylon thing that didn't even work anymore. 

Anyways, on to the story - I called non-emergency dispatch, informed them of this, then an LEO came to my door.

I was carrying in my house at the time, and I went outside, open carrying, walking beside him, not a word was spoken about my weapon.  While i was making my report, I was explaining how the holster was not of importance to me anymore, since i've been carrying my Glock 19, he gave it another look, and he had no reaction.  Finished the report, and shook his hand.

Thank you, Officer Gardner for being a polite, professional LEO!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #858 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »
OCed at Old Chicago Pizza in Okemos today for lunch with MOC member Pond Scum.

Didn't think to grab a cell phone picture  Doh!

Got to see his 1911 with SPARTAN GREEN pearl grips, though! 

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #859 on: November 07, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »
OCed at Old Chicago Pizza in Okemos today for lunch with MOC member Pond Scum.

Didn't think to grab a cell phone picture  Doh!

Got to see his 1911 with SPARTAN GREEN pearl grips, though! 

It was a good lunch with great conversation!  It was good to meet you and spend some time chatting about guns and stuff!   :)