Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393357 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #880 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

I recently moved from Kalamazoo, to East Tawas, Mich. I opened carried downtown the other day, no problems to speak of, but felt a little uneasy, mainly, because I knew a lot of people in kalamazoo, up here, its much different....hoping to meet some open carry members in this area....any suggestions

Contact our regional coordinator in your area and consider helping to setup a meet and greet in your area. Contact him at neregion@miopencarry.org
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline casper

Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #881 on: January 22, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »
Contact our regional coordinator in your area and consider helping to setup a meet and greet in your area. Contact him at neregion@miopencarry.org
I've been trying to get something going in Holland for over a year now, noth'in.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #882 on: January 22, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

I've been trying to get something going in Holland for over a year now, noth'in.

Have you contacted Reg?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #883 on: January 22, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
Holland is in the SW region. Casper knows that he can contact Ryan or myself if he wants to get anything going.

Casper, if you have anything worked out, let us know, and we'll post the details. If you need any help, we can do that too.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #884 on: January 22, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »
I know Ryan Adams had hoped I could take over SW but I am not really the type of guy who could hold up the standards I have grown to see with leadership in MOC. But maybe I'll take a drive up and have lunch at http://jackiesplaceholland.com/ and talk to them about the opportunity of opening the eyes of some OCrs to the quality of their food. Or I can at least look around I think I have been to Holland once before (?) since I moved to Mi.

Maybe Casper and I can meet for lunch a week from Saturday?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:32:24 PM by TucTom »

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #885 on: January 23, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »
I know Ryan Adams had hoped I could take over SW but I am not really the type of guy who could hold up the standards I have grown to see with leadership in MOC. But maybe I'll take a drive up and have lunch at http://jackiesplaceholland.com/ and talk to them about the opportunity of opening the eyes of some OCrs to the quality of their food. Or I can at least look around I think I have been to Holland once before (?) since I moved to Mi.

Maybe Casper and I can meet for lunch a week from Saturday?

That food looks mighty tasty.

Offline karudin

• First Name (Displayed): Gregg
« Reply #886 on: January 23, 2014, 11:54:41 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same thing recently, but I have been getting a lot more dirty looks from people while I OC out and about. I don't know if it has anything to do with the negative views that the media puts out about the Grand Rapids issue or what but thought I'd share. I haven't had any confrontations about it but sometimes it's more annoying to have someone just stare at you than it would be if they just approached you about it. I haven't done anything back toward them mostly because I'm out about with the family, 3 kids keep me busy enough.

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
« Reply #887 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
I personally would not do anything back. Depending on how the interaction goes it may actually go against us showing that good people do carry guns.  Sometimes the the saying "silence is golden" goes a lot further.  I think you handled it well. Cool and calm.

Open carry, Open minds

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #888 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »
I just smile at em... Annoys the hell out of em and other folks see a friendly guy with a gun.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline karudin

« Reply #889 on: January 24, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
Agreed that doing nothing is the best option, I often just smile and go about my business. Its been the older store employees that just stare me down and watch me constantly like I'm going to do something. Not going to deter me from open carrying but frustrating none the less. Maybe me just being the happy family man that carries bugs them, who knows.

Offline karudin

« Reply #890 on: February 03, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »
Another good day out. I was shopping at Meijer with the family and an older gentleman came up to me asking if I was a cop. When I told him no he shook my hand and started asking different questions about open carry. He said he is a retired military guy and his wife are getting their CPL soon but he was interested in open carry. I gave him MOC as a resource and told him about the seminar in Novi on the 28th.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:09:53 AM by karudin »

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #891 on: February 03, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
I recently moved from Kalamazoo, to East Tawas, Mich. I opened carried downtown the other day, no problems to speak of, but felt a little uneasy, mainly, because I knew a lot of people in kalamazoo, up here, its much different....hoping to meet some open carry members in this area....any suggestions

i go up to oscoda every other weekend, usually weekend closest to the 15 and last day of month. i OC all through downtown tawas and oscoda with no issues. i was hoping to maybe get some kind of event going up there this summer with the help of the regional co-ordinator for that area.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »

i go up to oscoda every other weekend, usually weekend closest to the 15 and last day of month. i OC all through downtown tawas and oscoda with no issues. i was hoping to maybe get some kind of event going up there this summer with the help of the regional co-ordinator for that area.

That'd be Reg Carr. Email him at RCarr@miopencarry.org

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
i know oscoda/tawas has all kinds of cool art shows and events down on the beach, in tawas its mostly right across the street from the sheriff station :) great opportunity to enjoy summer and attend the event MOC style :)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #894 on: February 03, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »
OC'd at gander mountain in flint, as usual no issues :)

OC'd at telly coney island in flint, again no issues :)

was with 2 other members from here at both locations :) on firday. nothing impressive to report

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #895 on: February 08, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
OC'd at Family Fare in Allendale 2 days ago - No issue

OC'd at Meijer in Grand Haven today - only issue was my girlfriend telling me to cover up my gun because its "too big"...  lol
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
« Reply #896 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »

OC'd at Family Fare in Allendale 2 days ago - No issue

OC'd at Meijer in Grand Haven today - only issue was my girlfriend telling me to cover up my gun because its "too big"...  lol

That is what she said.

Open carry, Open minds

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #897 on: February 09, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »
We are having an OC dinner @ Big Boy in East Tawas on the 15th of March @ 4:00 pm.
Make sure everyone you know in that area is signed up for event notifications. miopencarry.org/updates
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #898 on: February 21, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »

Offline dmattarn

• First Name (Displayed): Derek
« Reply #899 on: February 28, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
OC'd for my first time yesterday at AA-saline rd Meijer. Nobody paid me any attention until I was done checking out and walked past the self checkout cashier. He was midway through saying have a good night when his eyes locked onto my Remington r1. I just joined the forum to post and hope to have many more pleasant experiences like this one.