Author Topic: List your Open Carry Experiences here.  (Read 393285 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Re: List your Open Carry Experiences here.
« Reply #1000 on: August 10, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
OC'd yesterday at Menard's.  Went to the OC lunch in Webberville and Sam's Club today.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline MI_XD

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Bob
« Reply #1001 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »
Sterile OCed downtown South Haven for the Lawn Tractor Pull on Water Street, then walked down to the pier and back up into town to retrieve my car.

Why the Sterile OC?

MI_XD
MI_XD
SW Michigan
I finally can be Proud of America, again!

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #1002 on: August 11, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »
Forgot my wallet in the car. :-\
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #1003 on: August 11, 2014, 10:42:50 PM »
Forgot my wallet in the car. :-\

I'd call that an accident.  When I sterile carry, I have a red 3x5 card in my pocket that says "ICE <wife's cellphone>" in big letters.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #1004 on: August 12, 2014, 12:05:41 AM »
Not an accident. I realized I didn't have my wallet about 10-15 minutes into the tractor pull, and could easily have walked the Two blocks back to my car to retrieve it. I chose not to, because it wasn't necessary.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #1005 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
On Sunday, went to Windstrom in Holland, MI to play some disc golf with family.  Ran into a guy who I thought was smoking some weed from a distance.  We got closer and saw they were tabacco.  I know, stupid stereotypes.  But he said he thought it was cool that I was carrying and thought more people should.  I should have asked him, "Why aren't you?"  But I didn't.  He then dipped into politics and stuff happening in the middle east.

Rainy day today but I still OC'd.  Started out at John Ball Zoo.  Lots of "school" groups.  Perhaps it was day care groups, since school wasnt in session.  Walked right in and through the zoo without any problems.  Staff either didn't notice or didn't mind it.  I had guy race past me carrying a clip board.  He was determined to get some place fast.  Had parents/teachers tell a kid to "get over here" but that is common Zoo stuff.  I wouldn't waste money going here again.  I was more or less curious about the new bear enclosure and the new tiger enclosure.  Tiger enclosure was really good.  Bear enclosure sucked.  Bear was digging a hole in the lone area where they have dirt.  All the rest is stills cement.

I went to Jet's pizza in Kentwood, MI.  I'm sure the employee didn't notice due to the high counters.  Later in the day I went to Grandville Gander Mountain and then to Grandville Meijer.  Actually had a guy come up to me and chatted it up in Meijer for a good 20 mins or so.  Asked all kinds of questions and dipped into politics as most do.  Told him about MOC.  I went to check out and the cashier asked my if I was a cop.  I told her no.  She said "Ahhhs, I guess what they say is true.  Never assume it is a cop if a person is carrying."

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #1006 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
OC'd at the Secretary of State in Mason, then to the Ingham County Sheriff to drop off an RI-60.  Bought a AFG at "Not Just Guns" on Cedar St.

No issues anywhere.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #1007 on: August 14, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
going fishing after work in new baltimore at walter and mary burke park. dont see any issues happening as the police are VERY well informed of OC and its legalness.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #1008 on: August 14, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
Took the older daughters to Cascades Falls in Jackson with my Glock 17 and my t-shirt with the Declaration of Independence typed to look like a US map, colored to look like the flag.  It was a Disney theme night.  Music from the movies and characters to meet.  Lots of kids.  No screaming and panic from the presence of a firearm.

One person shook my hand and thanked me for supporting the Second Amendment. 

Funny encounter with a 10-ish year old boy in the bathroom as I'm drying my hands.
Kid: Whoa, is that a gun?
Me: Yes it is.
Kid: Is it real?
Me: Yes it is.
Kid: Are you going to shoot me?
Me: NO!
His Dad: Only if you're bad.
Kid: Are you a cop?
Me: Nope, not a cop.
Kid: Why do you carry a gun?
Me: To protect my daughters.
Kid: Oh, can I have it?
Me: NO!

No issues and had a good time.

Offline G36shooter

• MOC Member
  • MOC Member,SE Regonal Coorrdinator
  • First Name (Displayed): Greg
« Reply #1009 on: August 16, 2014, 09:42:39 PM »
Another uneventful day OC'ing at the Howell Mellon Festival. My dog received the most attention from the citizens that were there. I did spot another OC'er and had a positive response from a volunteer worker. It is my belief that we as responsible gun owners that choose to open carry will show to the public at large that we are there neighbors and friends.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #1010 on: August 17, 2014, 07:33:08 PM »
I never have a recorder running while going into meijers, but today came out carry two bags in my left hand and cradled in my right arm 22lb bag of ice, and as I walked out, there's a police car right by the doors.  Officer in the pass side definitely took note of the pistol, looked back up at me and nodded.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #1011 on: August 18, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »
oc'd in Eastpoint while being a part of a 20+ person group. at least 10 of us were armed. no problems at all :) had a great picnic

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #1012 on: August 18, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
Saturday again this year I was at Mendon River Fest with seven other oc friends. An awesome fireworks show(some locally made), a band and a few conversations from curios people that all ended well.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #1013 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
It was such a nice day I road the Goldwing to the lakeshore in Grand Haven and took my wife to lunch at one of our favorite restaurants.  Then we walked up and down main street browsing the shops for some "Pure Michigan" gifts and stopped in the bakery for scones and a cup of coffee.

I had my Metro Arms hard chromed, full size 1911, AC Trophy with the pearl green grips in a Serpa on my belt.  No one in town seemed to notice and if they did see it no one said anything or even looked at me funny. 

I have never had any negative comments while OC'ing and I have had many good discussions on gun rights and I have been able to provide information and encouragement to many folks that were interested in the process of getting a handgun or their CPL's.    Today was apparently even up. 

Offline MI_XD

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Bob
« Reply #1014 on: August 23, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
Well, I would have to say that today was my first true Open Carry.
Attended the Lunch at Theo and Staceys in Portage, met some nice people OCing and had a great BLT!

Then, OC'd at The Speedway gas station on the way back to I-94 to head back to South Haven. As I was pre-paying, one of the cashiers was walking back to the registers and he commented,
Him:  "DO I need to carry mine, too?"
I replied, "As long as you are comfortable with it."
Him: " I got one of those Concealed Badges, do you have one of those?"
I replied:  "I would never wear one of those, because I wouldn't want to confuse anyone into thinking I was a cop."
Him: "Ahhhh, you're right."

Otherwise, no one had any problems! Wow, just like it should be!

Then OC'ed at the Paw Paw Tractor supply to get dogfood the wife asked me to get. They didn't have it...
SO, then I OC'ed at the South Haven Tractor Supply, and they had it! Puppies eat tonight!

Oh, and no one said a thing, even when I returned the cart inside and my strongside was towards the cashiers.

MI_XD

Now if I can just get my dues to MOC and get back on the membership role.. :)
Second try, here we come! :)
MI_XD
SW Michigan
I finally can be Proud of America, again!

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #1015 on: August 24, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »
Coming back from Mackinaw, I stopped for gas.  On long drives I almost always carry IWB with my shirt tucked in, I find it a LOT more comfortable than OWB.  Guy is pulling out of the gas station and make a point to tell me my pistol is showing.  I let him know that it was perfectly legal for it to show, he thanked me and drove off.  I was out of tri-folds or I would have given him one :(

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #1016 on: September 14, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »
I got out today...

Car wash (the Do-it-Yourself kind)
Speedway on N. Cedar
Meijer on Pennsylvania
Lowes on N. Cedar

No issues.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #1017 on: September 22, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Stopped at the Bank of America on Pennsylvania and Miller on the way to the range.  The armed guard asked me about my holster on the way out.  We had a friendly chat.  He was loathing the company issued revolver and wished he could carry a semi-auto.  I had as many rounds loaded in my 17 as he had on him.  No issues with me carrying at the branch.

Put over 350 rounds downrange.  Got my El Presidente drill down to 7.26 seconds and draw down to 1.25 seconds.  WooHoo.

Went to the Subway in Holt on the way home.  Got a double take when the employee noticed it, but no issues.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #1018 on: September 23, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
yesterday was a busy day OC

went to the bank, no issues as usual
stopped by the pawn shop. the owner OC's as well and we always have conversations about guns, the topic of the day was the new LCR 9mm from ruger
went to biggby for a coffee with a friend. no issues as well. he wanted starbucks i explained my stance on that establishment and why i wont go there
stopped at texas roadhouse for dinner, no issues, had the hostess ask me about it and the manager come and thank me for making his establishment safer and he wanted to ensure since i had my firearm i wouldnt be drinking any alcoholic beverages which is his only request if you wish to carry, fine by me (i wasnt drinking)
stopped at kroger after dinner for weekly grocery shopping
gassed up at sunoco

no negative encounters yesterday. as it should be

Offline Zergling

« Reply #1019 on: September 26, 2014, 03:33:34 AM »
Not that it is a big deal, but I OC'd for the first time around my whole family over this last weekend. Mom hated it, dad smiled, siblings had mixed feelings. I finished my CPL class August 23 at CQT and October 10 I have my Michigan Gun Board meeting for Macomb County. Cannot wait for OC to be a lot less of a hassle.