Author Topic: OC at Top Gun  (Read 9452 times)

Offline gaedkerp

OC at Top Gun
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
Stopped at Top Gun Shooting Sports (open carry) looking for a new holster. Found a couple to "try on". He asked me to step into the range to clear my weapon for safety purposes, and when I returned he said "You know, we usually don't allow open carry in the store". I didn't respond. Figured I must be the exception to "usually" because he never really asked me to cover it up. ???

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: OC at Top Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
"You know, we usually don't allow open carry in the store".

Reason 637 I don't go to Top Gun.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:57:26 AM »
Some questions for my own edification.

You went to the gun store to try on holsters. You were already carrying a firearm in a holster?

How did you expect to try on holsters without handling your loaded weapon in the public area of the store?

Did I miss something here? Or was there some part of the interaction that you didn't reveal?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »
Gotta agree with that one.  If I know I am going to be trying on holsters I carry something else.  If I stop by on a whim I clear my firearm in the car before going into the store.  Honestly though, the only firearms store up here that stocks holsters never has the one I want anyways, so it has always been a mute point.  I should get a chalk board and start adding how many times I have to ask before they finally order it.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
I've been to Top Gun more then 5 times. Yes they ask u to clear your weapon it you would like to try your gun in one of their holsters. I brought two holsters from them and went into the range to clear. Also one time i asked them to use one of there guns to try out the holster i wanted. Never asked me to cover up. I go there because one i like the customer svc. I will make it a point to open carry everytime i go in there. Carry On Safely.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline gaedkerp

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »

Did I miss something here? Or was there some part of the interaction that you didn't reveal?

Yes you did miss something. The point of the post was to relay the comment the salesperson made to me. Not to incite your theory of how I should shop for holsters.

IMO either you allow open carry in your store or you don't. Your choice, but be consistent and avoid words like "usually".

When I buy shoes, I try them on with the same feet I'm going to wear them with.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
No i read it right and and i answered the way i wanted to. It was just over and above. Maybe others will still give them a try also. The guy who waited on you may or may not have known their policy, or just had a bad day. With that i would have asked to speak to a Mgr. ;D. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
Oh thanks for letting me know i missed something . I was Open Carrying each time, hope your vist will be better. Carry On  :).
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:38 AM »

Yes you did miss something. The point of the post was to relay the comment the salesperson made to me. Not to incite your theory of how I should shop for holsters.

IMO either you allow open carry in your store or you don't. Your choice, but be consistent and avoid words like "usually".

When I buy shoes, I try them on with the same feet I'm going to wear them with.

You didn't incite anything in me.

Shopping for shoes is a far cry different than shopping for a holster with a loaded gun in a public arena.

Shopping for shoes may only result in the odoriferous effects of your feet. Shopping for a holster with a loaded pistol could have deadly effects.

So again, a very simple question... How did you expect to try on holsters without handling your loaded weapon in the public area of the store?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gaedkerp

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
If I thought it was relevant to the point of the story, I would have added it. I was intentionally vague to avoid a lengthy post. Again, to get to the point.

So, for Pat's "edification"

After I showered and dressed Friday morning I made plans to run a few errands. I left the house with my loaded beretta holstered on my right hip, just like any other day.

I was off that day, but had to stop by the shop to take care of some loose ends. After I left work, I stopped to get my oil changed and then grabbed a quick bite to eat.

Before heading to see my wife at her office, I decided to swing by Top Gun since I was in the area. I walked into the store and was greeted by a very eager salesman. When he asked if he could help me find something, I told him I was looking for a new holster for the pistol I was carrying and asked if it would be ok to try some on. He said "yes, but you will have to step into the firing range to clear your weapon first". (still with me Pat? Because here comes the tricky part) Not intending to un-holster a loaded weapon in the public area of the store anyway, I agreed and complied with is request.

Previously he had made no mention to the fact that I was open carrying but when I returned from the range, I can only assume that one of his co-workers may have reminded him of their open carry policy, and passed this information along to me. Which I thought was rather indefinitive due to his choice of words. Pointless now, since my pistol was cleared and in the tote he provided me, I made no comment.

Not finding anything to fit my taste, said to him "thanks for your help". He told my I could step back on the range to re-load but I declined. Holstered my empty pistol and left the store.

Offline gaedkerp

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »

Reason 1 I won't be returning.

Offline gaedkerp

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »

Reason 1 I won't be returning.
Especially since I now know how to properly shop for holsters

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Glad we could be of some help. That's what we are all here for. Carry On
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
This is why I go to Wolverine range... no hassles

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 04:28:29 AM »
If I thought it was relevant to the point of the story, I would have added it. I was intentionally vague to avoid a lengthy post. Again, to get to the point.

After I showered and dressed Friday morning I made plans to run a few errands. I left the house with my loaded beretta holstered on my right hip, just like any other day.

I was off that day, but had to stop by the shop to take care of some loose ends. After I left work, I stopped to get my oil changed and then grabbed a quick bite to eat.

Before heading to see my wife at her office, I decided to swing by Top Gun since I was in the area. I walked into the store and was greeted by a very eager salesman. When he asked if he could help me find something, I told him I was looking for a new holster for the pistol I was carrying and asked if it would be ok to try some on. He said "yes, but you will have to step into the firing range to clear your weapon first". (still with me Pat? Because here comes the tricky part) Not intending to un-holster a loaded weapon in the public area of the store anyway, I agreed and complied with is request.

Previously he had made no mention to the fact that I was open carrying but when I returned from the range, I can only assume that one of his co-workers may have reminded him of their open carry policy, and passed this information along to me. Which I thought was rather indefinitive due to his choice of words. Pointless now, since my pistol was cleared and in the tote he provided me, I made no comment.

Not finding anything to fit my taste, said to him "thanks for your help". He told my I could step back on the range to re-load but I declined. Holstered my empty pistol and left the store.

Why bother carrying an unloaded gun? You walked out with an expensive rock. Good thing you showered. In case you wanted to go shoe shopping.

MEH
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:32:19 AM by CV67PAT »

Offline gaedkerp

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »

Why bother carrying an unloaded gun? You walked out with an expensive rock. Good thing you showered. In case you wanted to go shoe shopping.

MEH
That's nice.

Pat, your brain is obviously much larger than mine and I'll never outwit you and your demeaning holier than thou attitude. So, you win. I give up.

I do hope to meet you someday at an OC get together. Maybe you can explain to me in person why you feel the need to look down on and criticize someone you know nothing about. Could it be your ovewhelming desire for attention? Maybe that's how you were treated as a child? Or could you be compensating for lack of some physical characteristic you do not possess? Ran out of meds? Who knows?

I've been on and reading this and the OCDO forum for a couple years, and have been open carrying even longer. As you can tell, I just recently decided to sign up and actually join the dicussion. Although my first post did not meet your standards for discussion, thanks for going out of your way to ridicule and taunt me, and try to make me look like a fool. Actually, I am a fool for letting you get under my skin and even aknowledging your obvious trolling. I have read many of your posts and you are a great devil's advocate, but you don't have to be an ass your whole life. Your therapist should have already explained this to you.

Not that you represent MOC Inc. in any professional capacity (and I hope you don't, there are enough outhouse lawyers in this world) but I'm sure their intentions are not to alienate new members...

I wish you only the best Pat, take care

My appologies to the entire MOC forum for getting off topic and bumping this thread yet again!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 03:16:23 AM »
I asked a couple simple questions and you go into a diatribe for my "edification"?

I most certainly look forward to the opportunity to meet you also.

Add just so that you'll recognize me I'll be the fat jack ass carrying the .45 mexican.

ETA: And I truly am sorry that I hurt your feelings.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:27:12 AM by CV67PAT »

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »
 :) Now with all that said let's con't. to help each other when needed.  :-* Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »
This.

I was at the OC diner a few months ago in Taylor and one of the Wolverine employees was in attendance. He was not OCing but was there to show his support for OUR right to do so, that spoke loudly to me.

The clown that owns Top Gun is pushing for HB 4124, 4125, 4126 to pass so he can sell more guns easier. What a guy, he is willing to remove my ability to conceal a MI Pistol so he can sell more guns.
F**k him and his business.

Offline redskin

• ...our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
This.

I was at the OC diner a few months ago in Taylor and one of the Wolverine employees was in attendance. He was not OCing but was there to show his support for OUR right to do so, that spoke loudly to me.

The clown that owns Top Gun is pushing for HB 4124, 4125, 4126 to pass so he can sell more guns easier. What a guy, he is willing to remove my ability to conceal a MI Pistol so he can sell more guns.
F**k him and his business.

If we were determined, we could all chip in a few bucks and buy the nearest billboard to his store and loudly advertise his poor practices.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers and woods, but a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.