Author Topic: brief novi pd encounter  (Read 24916 times)

Offline link2derek

Re: brief novi pd encounter
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 12:10:10 AM »
There is no MI case specifically on point about the transition from OC to CC in a vehicle, but MSP Legal Update 86 states the following advice for its officers:

"There is no way to “open carry” a pistol in a vehicle. An individual, without a CPL or otherwise exempted (e.g., a police officer), who transports a pistol in a vehicle to an area where he or she intends to “open carry” may be in violation of MCL 750.227."

"MCL 750.227(2) makes it a felony for a person to transport a pistol anywhere in a vehicle unless the person is licensed to carry a concealed pistol. Exceptions to the above statute are found in MCL 750.231a."

http://miopencarry.org/sites/default/files/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

I read in a MI case, though, that "concealed" means "not easily seen upon casual observation."  I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the point -- once I'm in my car, my otherwise OC'd pistol is no longer seen by casual observers and, thus, it's "concealed."

Offline METL

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
"There is no way to “open carry” a pistol in a vehicle. An individual, without a CPL or otherwise exempted (e.g., a police officer), who transports a pistol in a vehicle to an area where he or she intends to “open carry” may be in violation of MCL 750.227."

Whoa...   now THAT is kinda scary to non-CPL people...   I was under the impression that the list of legal purposes to transport "INCLUDE" the following, but the list was not ALL INCLUSIVE... as in any lawful purpose was ok.  The above quote makes me think twice.   I understand they say "MAY" be in violation...    we "MAY" be charged with just about anything, but will get it sorted in court... still, I don't want to take that chance with my current financial situation!

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »
So far as I know, no one has been bothered as long as they follow the rules for transporting without a CPL.  In fact, I think the only ones who had any sort of problem came about due to an accidental discharge as they were preparing their weapons for lawful transport after an OC picnic.
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline METL

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »
I just don't want to be the first!!!

Offline METL

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 09:01:06 AM »
I just don't want to be the first!!!   I"ve got that kind of luck!

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
In the end, it's your decision.

Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols