Author Topic: When the good guys are armed!  (Read 7679 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
When the good guys are armed!
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
NEWS RELEASE

Van Buren County Sheriff’s Department

INCIDENT TYPE:  Home Invasion

DATE/TIME:  4/28/2011 0318hrs

REPORT#:  2675-11

VICTIMS:  74yo Male and 73yo Female from the Decatur area

SUSPECT:  35yo Male from the Kalamazoo area 

ALCOHOL/DRUGS:  The suspect was possibly under the influence of numerous prescriction medication

INFORMATION:  Sheriff Dale R. Gribler reports that deputies and other local law enforcement officers were dispatched to a home invasion in progress in which the caller had the suspect at gunpoint.  When officers arrived, the caller secured his firearm and the suspect was taken into custody without further incident.  From interviews with the victims, it was determined that a set of keys were taken several days ago, and that the suspect used these keys to enter into the residence.  Several prescription medicines had also gone missing over the last few days, and the suspect was caught by the caller stealing medicine out of the caller's bathroom. The suspect in an acquaintance of the victims.

LAW ENFORCEMENT ACTION:  Investigating Deputies arrested the suspect for Home Invasion, Possession of Analouges, and Larceny.  Suspect was lodged at the Van Buren Co Jail.

INVESTIGATING OFFICER:  Deputy Raymond W. Hochsprung VBCSO

ASSISTING OFFICERS/AGENCIES:  Officer Shawn Poole of Decatur PD and Tribal Officer Corey Collins of the Pokagon Tribal Police

SUPERVISOR CONTACT:  Please contact the on duty Sgt. @ (269) 657-3101 or Operations Lt. Robert Kirk @ (269) 657-2006 email: kirkr@vbco.org

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline METL

Re: When the good guys are armed!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
When is it ok to "hold someone at gunpoint"?

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
Who cares when it became ok to hold some useless bastard  at gun point good for the good guys!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
When the fool is in your house and stealing apparently..
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:55:20 AM »
When is it ok to "hold someone at gunpoint"?

Whenever you are in fear for your life. Just as when it is lawful to use deadly force. Duh!!!
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
Not to mention that he was committing a Felony so they were perfectly legal to perform a citizens arrest.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
Not to mention that he was committing a Felony so they were perfectly legal to perform a citizens arrest.

I do not not believe that the use of deadly force is lawful in the performance of a "citizen's arrest" simply for a felony. There are a whole lot of felonies that are non-violent that could result in a charge of felonious assault against the "citizen".
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
In this instance, I believe it was 70 something senior citizens versus 30 something scumbag equals fear of serious bodily injury and all the rest. 

Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
Re: Re: When the good guys are armed!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »

I do not not believe that the use of deadly force is lawful in the performance of a "citizen's arrest" simply for a felony. There are a whole lot of felonies that are non-violent that could result in a charge of felonious assault against the "citizen".

And B&E is not a none violent crime most of the time esp when it is someone that knows you are home and still breaks in. Or in this case uses a stolen key.

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »

And B&E is not a none violent crime most of the time esp when it is someone that knows you are home and still breaks in. Or in this case uses a stolen key.

In this particular case, it's not just B&E, it's Home Invasion, which is considered to be a crime of violence.....well except in the UK. ;)
Big Gay Al

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 12:19:24 AM »

Read my post again... and then one more time for a better understanding. Do not read any more into it than what I posted.

I specifically limited my comment to the part about using deadly force to "citizen arrest" someone simply committing a felony. I DID NOT state that in THIS incident it would be unlawful.

Your post stated that they were perfectly legal because he was committing a felony. My post was to further clarify that SIMPLY committing a felony did not constitute the use of deadly force to reform the "citizens arrest".

Of course the homeowners were lawful in the implementation of deadly force in this incident. DUH!!!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »

In this particular case, it's not just B&E, it's Home Invasion, which is considered to be a crime of violence.....well except in the UK. ;)

There is no question that the homeowners could have dropped him without warning. It is because of their compassion that the creation is still sucking air.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »

There is no question that the homeowners could have dropped him without warning. It is because of their compassion that the creation is still sucking air.
With a little luck, maybe next time, the scumbag won't be so lucky. ;)
Big Gay Al

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »
I can't say with certainty what I would have done. Obviously the victims knew the perp. That most likely played a role in the shoot/don't shoot decision. The age of the victims undoubtedly also did. Not that being old, in and of itself, has anything to do with it. But with age sometimes comes the appreciation for life.

Taking a life is not something that I enjoy. However, faced with the alternative, it is done without hesitation.

It is something that is then lived with. The memory has a way of creeping into the front of the mind at times. But for the most part it hibernates. Thankfully.

In this incident, everything ended as it should. At least this time.

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
I would have to agree  with cb on that as well