Author Topic: Borrow a Gun  (Read 5012 times)

Offline emcee101

Borrow a Gun
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
While I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to borrow or loan a pistol without a purchase/transfer permit, I am curious if anyone can point me to official documentation on the legality of borrowing a shotgun or rifle. I spoke to M.S.P. today, and they told me that if the gun is over 30 inches, that the laws are regulated by the ATF, but I have not been able to get a hold of anyone there despite leaving several messages. I am just looking to use my brothers shotgun while I am up north for vacation. Thanks for any help!
"That the people have a Right to mass and to bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the Body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper natural and safe defense of a free State..."

- George Mason

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Borrow a Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:21:36 AM »
Rifles/Shotguns over thirty inches are not registered in any way in Michigan and can be treated just like any other inanimate object that you may happen to own, with regard to borrowing or loaning them, with the minor caveat that giving a felon possession of any firearm is illegal.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline Bronson

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »
While I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to borrow or loan a pistol without a purchase/transfer permit

I know this wasn't your specific question but a CPL holder may borrow a pistol that is legally owned by another.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline emcee101

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:34 AM »
Thanks, i was kinda sure that was the case, glad to have confirmation.
"That the people have a Right to mass and to bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the Body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper natural and safe defense of a free State..."

- George Mason