Author Topic: Ingham County  (Read 5911 times)

Offline METL

Ingham County
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
So does anyone know how Ingham County feels about OC?   Is this the part where I"m supposed to call Gene for an answer myself?   :D  What about ingham county parks?

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: Ingham County
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:52:33 PM »
Honestly, I think all cities and counties are on the level. You can always come across the one LEO that hates OC, but that can happen anywhere. I'd OC confidently wherever you are, you'll most likely be pleasantly surprised at the lack of attention you garner.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Ingham County
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I OC in Lansing several times a week. OC away.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:25:47 PM »
I'm thinking places outside of lansing...   holt....  mason... etc... I know you guys have OC'd there too.. but I just want to be sure. :)  I emailed the sheriff to see what kind of response I get....

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »
He'll most likely tell you "it's legal but it will scare people and my professional advice would be to not do it.  Also you should expect to have the police called on you every single day and to have people running away from you screaming and tearing at their hair."

Everyplace is OC friendly...until they're not.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline METL

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »

ME:
To whom it may concern;

I am interested in getting information regarding the Sheriff's position on open carry of firearms and if anything training for officers has taken place on how they are to address this issue in concurrence with what the state laws purport.

I have taken the liberty to include a recent LPD memo regarding this issue, as well as the MSP legal update 86.  I would venture a guess the Sheriff would be aware of these already, but just in case I included them.  I also assume the Sheriff is familiar with state law on the matter, though I would be happy to provide citations as requested.

I very much appreciate your time and response.

Thank you.

SHERIFF:
I will refer your question to our training division for response. Also I can only respond for Ingham County , not any other Sheriff!

ME:
 I understand that you can only speak for Ingham County.  Conversely, I also know that THEY cannot speak for YOU.  That is precisely why I asked the question as I already know that the MSP apparently is OK with it according to Legal Update 86, LPD is apparently OK with it according to their inter-dept memo.  I'm hoping that ICSD is OK with it as well.

Thank you again for your time and consideration.  I also am happy to hear that you may make a training issue of it.  It would be great to see everyone on the same page.

MAJOR:
I will be handling your email concerning the Open Carry Email you sent Sheriff Wriggelsworth. I should have something back to you in a week..

Offline METL

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Just incase anyone says anything, I'm trying to be polite with ICSD by "asking" if they "think it's ok"...    if they say no, then obviously cites of the law will come into play, etc....

Anyways, just to make sure I don't pull a no-no, one can OC in county/city parks sans CPL, amirite?

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
 :) Good job, thanks for stepping up in your area. It should have been a yes sir we will follow what the state says, why a week to respond? Keep us up to date Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
Thanks....  I'm not sure what the hold up is.. I e-mailed him today as this is the 7th day... no response.  Hopefully I'll see something monday.

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
Just curious....did anything ever come of this?
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Ingham County
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline METL

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »

I forgot to post my response from the guy with Ingham county...   

Major Joel Maatman, Staff Services Admin:

Reference your earlier email to the sheriff. As to the training question you posed the Sheriff, about a year ago we were made away of this issue via the Lansing Police and MSP and at least one call on open carry in a resturant (which I believe our officers handled properly). We annually traing our deputies on legal update and have since trained them on the law concerning open carry and the sheriff feels, as I do, very comfortable in our application of the law.  As every call or situation is different, concerning applying any state law, we as an orgainzation don't give out legal opinons per se. I would suggest you pose your legal questions to the Ingham County Prosecutor's office, as they would be the ultimate decision makers in all of Ingham County concerning the application of this issue with several law enforcement agencies in Ingham County. I hope this helps answer your questions.

I also contacted Eaton county...    Under Sheriff McPhail...

Sheriff, & Undersheriff,

I wanted to touch base with you quickly ask a question.  What is your position regarding openly carried firearms?  I also wanted to see if there had been any recent training with the patrol officers to ensure that there were no misunderstandings of Michigan law.

I have taken the liberty to include a recent LPD memo regarding this issue, as well as the MSP legal update 86.  I would venture a guess the Sheriff would be aware of these already, but just in case I included them.  I also assume the Sheriff is familiar with state law on the matter, though I would be happy to provide citations as requested.

Additionally, it should be noted that the Chief of the Detroit PD (Ralph Godbee) announced this week that the DPD acknowledges the legality of OC (and that it has been legal for some time) and that OCers will will not be arrested or even stopped at all by DPD at the Downtown Hoedown free outdoor concert in a public Detroit Park. (or anywhere in Detroit) Initially Commander Williams of the DPD said OCers would be arrested on sight but fortunately the Chief was able to see that State Law makes OC legal. 

I understand that you can't speak for other departments and likewise they cannot speak for your department, thus my questions.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

McPhail's Response:

Thanks for the information, I’ll pass it on to our training officer to ensure we’re up to date. I can’t recall of any issues our deputies have encountered over this like they have in Lansing. Sheriff Raines  and I are Constitutionalists and support the Second Amendment and certainly the law.

It seems that open carry advocates could find a better way to make their point rather than capturing all the negative publicity they’ve gotten lately. The way the media has portrayed the controversy shines a negative light on the O.C. proponents, which is too bad .   

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Ingham County
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »