Author Topic: Armed Walgreens worker foils robbery  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Briggs

Armed Walgreens worker foils robbery
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »
http://theh-p.com/articles/2011/05/09/local_news/4700620.txt

Armed Walgreens worker foils robbery

Fires shots at gunman; workers unhurt
By JIM DALGLEISH - Assistant Local News Editor
Published: Monday, May 9, 2011 2:16 PM EDT
BENTON TOWNSHIP - They wore masks.

They wore gloves.

They brandished handguns.

But there was one thing two robbers didn't anticipate when they barged into a Benton Township Walgreens drug store early Sunday and tried to march the workers into the back room: A worker already in back carried a handgun and knew how to use it.

Benton Township police Lt. Delmar Lange said the worker fired multiple shots at one of the bandits, forcing the men to flee.

"He could see the hostage situation developing," Lange said. "He could not retreat any further. He was in the back room. If it was me, I would have done the same thing."

Lange said the worker, whose name was not released, saw one of the robbers force another worker from the front of the building toward the rear. That robber then saw the worker in back and started to pursue him.

The worker then fired multiple shots.

The robber tried to fire back but his gun malfunctioned. The robber and his partner then ran out.

Lange said none of the four workers were hurt in the 4:30 a.m. incident in the store at Napier Avenue and M-139. It's unclear if the robber was struck, he said. He said police are asking hospitals across the region to report if someone comes in with gunshot wounds.

Lange said security camera videos indicate the worker acted appropriately.

Lange said the videos show that the robbers were "very aggressive and very dangerous in what they did and how they did it."

He said the worker was licensed to carry the concealed handgun.

The robbers are each described as black males, about 6-feet tall, Lange said. One wore a gray hooded sweatshirt and dark pants.

The other wore a black ski jacket with white stripes running from shoulders to wrists. He wore a white ski mask and light brown casual or work shoes.

jdalgleish@TheH-P.com

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: Armed Walgreens worker foils robbery
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »
I sure hope this hero isn't fired for violating  some stupid company "no firearms" policy.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »
I sure hope this hero isn't fired for violating  some stupid company "no firearms" policy.
i agree scot623
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
+ 1 He should get a citation. Carry On Safely.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
+ 1 He should get a citation. Carry On Safely.

I agree.

As you were.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »
YES another one for the good guys keep it up  ;D

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
i wasn't there and i know adrenaline takes over and effects reflexes and all but after several shots fired at assailants who didn't know shots were coming - how do you not hit your target at least once? the fired rounds stopped the robbery and possibly saved the lives of his coworkers which was the intent. a connected round would mark the robbers if medical attention was needed or suspects were identified and needed evidence. how bad does it make you sound if you hoped they were hit?
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:55:05 PM »
At first I thought that lack of training (time spent at range) may have been a factor. But then I remembered the spray and pray shooting that was employed by the DPD when the shotgun wielding gunman attacked the highly trained officers in the 6th precinct.

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
The scary thing is I shop at this Walgreens quite a bit... I will be staying on my guard!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
At first I thought that lack of training (time spent at range) may have been a factor. But then I remembered the spray and pray shooting that was employed by the DPD when the shotgun wielding gunman attacked the highly trained officers in the 6th precinct.

+1 Pat, you are spot on.  ;)

Even Cops [though they carry {OC} a pistol around thousands of hours per year miss in the heat of battle]. Often times at distances of 15 ft. or less? :o Which leads me to say carrying is not enough, the more we practice the better off we all are.  :D
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Yes Sirrr. Practice makes better. Carry On. Just left the range today. Took my two best friends, Mr. Glock 19 and Mr. PT-145 8).
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Briggs

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »
The scary thing is I shop at this Walgreens quite a bit... I will be staying on my guard!

Ya, I also have been in there. talk about close to home.

Spec

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »

+1 Well said...
I often use this point when talking to anti-gun people.. I tell them that most police shoot less than I do. Or at least they are required to shoot less than you would want. I try to shoot competitively as much as possible and go to the range for practice at least once a mouth.

Offline Markalon

• 2AFirearmsDealer.com
  • First Name (Displayed): Mark
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »
The thing that kind of concerns me is this:

Lange said. "He could not retreat any further. He was in the back room.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but retreating is not necessary with the Castle Doctrine, yeah?

I would hate to think that if that particular officer thought that there was an ability to retreat then he would have arrested the employee...
Mark - 2A Firearms, Livonia, MI - I carry a gun because cops are too damn heavy.

2afirearmsdealer.com - Discount Firearms, Ammunition

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »
I was told, by a friend that works for Walgreens, that the hero was indeed fired for escalating the situation.