Author Topic: more OC detroit  (Read 6637 times)

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
more OC detroit
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
OC downtown for the hoedown was great. really got our message across and set a standard for DPD that will have lasting effects. discussed this with someone i regularly encounter at work and he seemed to think that it was allowed at the hoedown but we would get a bigger fight for different events. i stated the case that it shouldn't matter. law is law and the area shouldn't be subject to variance due to different ethnic or event subjects. i admit the electronic fest memorial weekend is a pay to enter ticketed venue and thus not public access.
my stance was that DPD wouldn't suddenly change their position on OC because of a venue has a potential for more confrontation. it shouldn't matter. he seemed to think i was wrong. the arab fest in dearborn is held on public streets. the preacher fought to get a permit to speak against islam and it was felt he was denied because it would incite violence and civil unrest. i am to assume we are legal as well to OC there too. would we be fine at african american fest or italian or jazz or whatever? the alcohol problem potential was there at the hoedown but we proved it not to be a concern. any comments?
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: more OC detroit
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:35:01 PM »
Good job getting the word out at the 'row down' soggy bottom boys needed to be the headliners for this years fest! :P

Any venue that uses public property should be open to carry in. Now is that always the case? Nope & it's not right in my honest opinion. I, We, You pay taxes to the Government for 'services' not to be 'doubled tapped' by being charged entrance into a public street that has been rented out by a city that our tax dollars bought for them in the 1st place :o! The funny thing is there's always some bureaucrat screaming about "THE KIDS! DEAR GOD - THE KIDS!" when it comes to carrying at one of these festivals. However, these same folks are just fine with turning multiple blocks of taxpayer funded land into 'booze tents' and who gives a crap how little jane's & dick's parents get them home [drunk driving] afterwards aye?
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »
Preacher was denied a permit to demonstrate. OC is not a demonstration. It is a lawful activity. Just as MOC is not an activist organization. It is an advocacy group. OC in Dearborn should be no different than OC in Flint, Detroit, Fraser, Grand Rapids... And OC is not limited to any ethnic, religious, cuisine, or musical genre` entities.

Although I seem to notice a lot of us are quite "portly" (to say the least).
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »

WEll duh.. you know it's only old, fat, white guys that OC....       :o :P   ;D

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »
There are lots of public places or events that charge entry(municipal golf courses, Muskegon Summer Celebraition ect) that does not change the fact they are public places/events bound by preemption. Public property does not private just because an entry fee is charged. Free or not, they cannot ban firearms on public property.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:59:50 PM »
Wasn't there some case about charging fees to enter public streets?  Something saying they can't do that.  Seems Jan Jay may have info on this.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »
There are lots of public places or events that charge entry(municipal golf courses, Muskegon Summer Celebraition ect) that does not change the fact they are public places/events bound by preemption. Public property does not private just because an entry fee is charged. Free or not, they cannot ban firearms on public property.
thanks for clearing that up scot623. was a misconception of mine.
CV67PAT - portly?? i'm 5'10" 170 lbs. when i OC you can clearly see my Sig
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 04:47:35 AM »
I didn't say all of us, just a lot of us are portly (being polite, unlike METL).

As for me, when I OC, I can almost see my toes.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »
I was being sarcastic and stereotypical...    I'm a young skinny (6' 175) (but still white) dude...   But yes, probably not polite.  :)

Offline Bronson

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »

OCers enjoy the good life  ;D ;D

Yeah, that's my excuse.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
I was being sarcastic and stereotypical...   

Me too. ;)

Offline METL

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
My sar-cast-a-meter must have been on the fritz.   :)

OCers enjoy the good life  ;D ;D

Here here!    Carry on!  :)