Author Topic: Freedom of open carry. Need a new outdoor gun  (Read 7189 times)

Offline rugersingleshot

• Redeemed at a horrible price
Freedom of open carry. Need a new outdoor gun
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
Will be heading to the UP this summer with the family.  Do alot of bird hunting and backpacking.  Thinking about picking up a Glock 20 sf.  What are the pros and cons?  Thanks

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Freedom of open carry. Need a new outdoor gun
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
Cons - Cost / brick like ergonomics compared to many newer designs by S&W (M&P) ect / 10mm = expensive ammo / MADE IN AUSTRIA

Pros - Reliable / good resistance to elements / powerful caliber.

If you are strictly looking for a pistol to carry outdoors you may want to ask yourself this. If I somehow drop [snagged by vines etc] this and it falls down a 50 ft. rocky hillside will I be left in tears & out $500-$600?

I own several higher end pistols, but when I'm out "roughing around" I carry a high-point! Say what you will, they are tough enough to handle just about anything you can dish out. I had them replace a nearly 20 year old pistol for free not that long ago under their no questions asked life time warranty.   You can pick up a 10 shot 45 or 11 shot 40 cal for under $150. Throw in another $35 bucks for a spare mag/USA made holster & free shipping & you've got yourself a "outdoor" carry package made in the USA for under $200

If you look at the links below you will see that the 45 can be "upgraded" to a 16 shot pistol if capacity is a worry.  This gun gets good reviews. See the destruction video, it gives me new respect for my hi-points.

http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0120.html

http://www.thegunfever.com/MKS34510.html

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/proddetail.php?prod=HP45ACP004

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=407996

"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
Find a good used glock on migunowners.org... right now there's a g22 for $350...

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »
Find a good used glock on migunowners.org... right now there's a g22 for $350...

Not to argue but my experience with the site you mention is you will find a lot of overpriced used junk there. If you want to find a good used pistol at a fair price, post here 1st, if one of our members has what you are looking for you'll get a better deal here....just my real life experience to date.  ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »
Another good Hi-point video

I am a multiple glock owner, but for the best bang for the buck I say give Hi-Point a chance. The .45's & 40's are my favorites. I & do own one of their 9mm also & find it (9mm) can be a bit hinky & require tinkering with the mag feed lips to get them (9mm mags) to feed correctly.
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
There are a number of over priced items on MGO. But I have found some spectacular deals there. They don't last long, but they do show up. They're not the ones with 3 - 100 bumps. They're the ones that get SPF within hours of posting. So I suggest checking there frequently throughout the day.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »
THat's great oldstyle, I didn't realize that there was any sort of sales or marketplace allowed here...     I def. would agree with you that it might be good to start here....

I also agree with pat... there ARE good deals there.. but he's right, you have to hawk the place pretty good.

Offline METL

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Speaking of which...  I"m looking to get into an AR or something similar...  5.56..    Sorta lookin to trade though...    broke.  :P

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »
Speaking of which...  I"m looking to get into an AR or something similar...  5.56..    Sorta lookin to trade though...    broke.  :P

Post it [what you want & have to trade] in the 'Firearms' section. Many people miss the sales/ammo/parts sections as they were added later to the site. As more folks find it I am sure the deals will get even better ;)
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline rugersingleshot

• Redeemed at a horrible price
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Love the MGO sale section bought way too many already.  Just posted a unfired Kimber Super Match.  Will watch for used full size Glocks.  Thanks  Steve

Offline michiganman1970

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:59 AM »
My wife has a slightly used two year old Glock 26 - 9mm she has discussed selling.  Grip is too big for her hands.  Comes with Glock case, extra clip, lock and booklets.  She has put 300-400 rounds through it and it has been thoroughly cleaned after each use.   Make an offer.